Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 16 of 142 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 26 66 116 ... LastLast

Those photos are incredible! In the first picture, you can see some yellow tile on the wall that appears to have been part of the original Hudson's building. That remained in the parking garage for the past 20 years. Always thought it was neat how it survived the demolition and construction of the parking deck when I would park there.

It's completely off topic, but oh well...I notice the Barry Sanders mural on the Cadillac Tower in Lowell's photos. I miss that one and the Yzerman one with the Stanley Cup. Those were such identifying features downtown back in the day. I liked them much more than the MGM lion currently in that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    It's completely off topic, but oh well...I notice the Barry Sanders mural on the Cadillac Tower in Lowell's photos. I miss that one and the Yzerman one with the Stanley Cup. Those were such identifying features downtown back in the day. I liked them much more than the MGM lion currently in that spot.
    Well, to be fair, the Barry Sanders "mural" was really a Nike advertisement. But I do agree, I actually like it, it was VERY effective advertising.

"In the first picture, you can see some yellow tile on the wall that appears to have been part of the original Hudson's building. That remained in the parking garage for the past 20 years."

I remember that hole. I spent the summer of 1971 in it when I had a summer job in the Hudson's basement store, moving shoes and mattresses in the third-basement stockrooms. I never made it into the parking garage, but I'm surprised to learn that it incorporated the foundation of the 1924 "greater Hudson's" building. I would have freaked to find a remnant of the wall decoration surviving. The dimensions of the hole revealed the differing depths of the basement under the 5 or more different structures that made up Hudson's. The fourth basement was the smallest.

I think this web site needs a Hudson's-nostalgia trigger warning. I feel an attack coming on . . .

The fourth basement was dug out by workers with
    pick/axe/wheelbarrow while the store was closed at night.

Today's site progress [[from around noon):

Name:  2018-06-13 12.10.58.jpg
Views: 5077
Size:  119.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by 1953; June-13-18 at 11:55 AM.

Nice shots, 1953!

Demo is about halfway done. Interesting to see what next steps there are on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Demo is about halfway done. Interesting to see what next steps there are on the site.
    As I understand it, the plan for 2018 is basically to remove the existing parking structure, and fortify/waterproof the walls and floor of the hole. Late fall 2018 and early winter would see the drilling to bedrock of the caissons and the sub-grade foundation work.

Then beginning next spring 2019, the structural work would start on building the new underground parking garage, as well as the structural work that will eventually support the podium and tower.

We are still probably at least a year and half away from seeing any of the permanent structure starting to rise above street level.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    As I understand it, the plan for 2018 is basically to remove the existing parking structure, and fortify/waterproof the walls and floor of the hole. Late fall 2018 and early winter would see the drilling to bedrock of the caissons and the sub-grade foundation work.

Then beginning next spring 2019, the structural work would start on building the new underground parking garage, as well as the structural work that will eventually support the podium and tower.

We are still probably at least a year and half away from seeing any of the permanent structure starting to rise above street level.
    You remember foundation work starts this fall. But, no, we're going to see above-ground work sooner than that. It's months, not "at least a year-and-a-half" from now.
    Last edited by Dexlin; June-15-18 at 07:55 PM.

Cool overhead shot from @3andathird on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BkK9DxEAUHw/

Here's an angle from street level this afternoon.
    Name:  0619.jpg
Views: 7308
Size:  105.0 KB

Here's a People Mover shot in the rain from 6/27/2018:

Name:  2018-06-27 12.30.35.jpg
Views: 6019
Size:  129.4 KB

^Gilbert is just putting smaller and smaller excavators in the hole to fool us!

A crafty one he is...

Here come's OCP Quicken Loans!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Here come's OCP Quicken Loans!
    Oral Contraceptive Pill?

To the joy of many posters on this thread; it appears as if a third smaller earth mover has arrived on site. That brings the total to four, including the big orange one that pulls the materials out of the site.

Here's one from today, 7/10/18:

Name:  0710181321a.jpg
Views: 5200
Size:  256.7 KB

Thanks for the updated pic. Seeing the progress is exciting!

Thanks for all the photos!

You're all welcome, folks!

I have great news about the One Campus Martius [[formerly Compuware) Building! Temporary walls have been erected inside of the building all along the "back" side in preparation for building out the "notch". The OCM expansion is VERY real and a lot of activity has been happening in the building.

Also, there has been activity at the LC HQ building. They're still stalled on the pizza-glass, but they've be doing a ton of work on the inside and they've even had to put some temporary tarps up to shield the inside from the elements due to the missing pizza-windows.

Here is a picture at the Hudson site from today, 7/20/18:

Name:  0720181411.jpg
Views: 4566
Size:  99.2 KB

I had read in an article that the building on this site will be the second tallest building in Michigan. Had Bedrock renege on it's plans to make this structure 800 feet tall?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I had read in an article that the building on this site will be the second tallest building in Michigan. Had Bedrock renege on it's plans to make this structure 800 feet tall?
    Do you have a link to that article?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    http://www.hudsonssitedetroit.com/#plan

this is false. tallest building in michigan at 800 feet

More progress! Here's a look as of 7/27/2018:

Name:  0727181549.jpg
Views: 5436
Size:  101.7 KB

Page 16 of 142 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 26 66 116 ... LastLast