Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 13 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 63 113 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Correct. Renovating buildings is quite different from new construction, which requires different financing and skillsets.

And you could renovate a million buildings; doesn't mean an 80-floor building is a realistic project. At that height you have extreme construction costs, and elevator banks take up huge proportion of the highest floors, limiting rentable sf. There are many a half dozen outfits in the western world that could carry out such a project.
    Nobody, except for the OP, ever said that the Hudson's tower was going to be 80 floors. The OP made a mistake when writing that. You're wasting your time using the 80 floor figure.

I haven't been able to get over to the Hudson's block lately -- can somebody post like 1,000 pictures of the site, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    Nobody, except for the OP, ever said that the Hudson's tower was going to be 80 floors. The OP made a mistake when writing that. You're wasting your time using the 80 floor figure.
    He clearly doesn't care. He will ignore the new construction that DG has done and continue to float random figures to help reinforce his point. Never mind that DG and co. have hired world class architecture and design firms for his ground up projects and are clearly moving forward, it will never happen because he doesn't want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I haven't been able to get over to the Hudson's block lately -- can somebody post like 1,000 pictures of the site, please?
    I don't have a thousand, but I have one from today:

Name:  9407234908572305734.jpg
Views: 5157
Size:  80.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Scottathew; April-10-18 at 01:06 PM.

The earth movers are hammering away at the "roof" of the garage in the corner on Woodward and Gratiot now. Exciting stuff!

Very exciting!

Name:  0412181609.jpg
Views: 7871
Size:  143.7 KB

48307, a big thank you for documenting this work!

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    48307, a big thank you for documenting this work!
    You are most welcome!

I check this building most days, I'll try to remember to post pics here if I think something interesting is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    You are most welcome!

I check this building most days, I'll try to remember to post pics here if I think something interesting is happening.
    The YES board requires daily picture updates on all angles of the construction progress thru completion. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    The YES board requires daily picture updates on all angles of the construction progress thru completion. Thank you.
    Ha! I might be able to do week-daily pictures from basically the same angle each time if that is sufficient.

Here's a picture from today, even more progress made.

Name:  0413181504a.jpg
Views: 5434
Size:  107.8 KB

Not interested in daily pictures, but, yeah, if something significant happens keep up update.

Anyway, it's interesting you can now see the braces they put on the walls for the demolition to make sure the whole thing doesn't collapse in on them.

Who idea was it to put steel beams into the ground in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Who idea was it to put steel beams into the ground in the first place
    Huh? The "steel beams" were actually footings to allow something to be built on top of the site instead of having to retrofit it later. It was a smart move at the time. The only problem is that they never imagined when it was done that the site would have such high demand that someone would be proposing an 800-foot building above.

So this iteration of the garage was an unexpected failure to imagine something this large on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Huh? The "steel beams" were actually footings to allow something to be built on top of the site instead of having to retrofit it later. It was a smart move at the time. The only problem is that they never imagined when it was done that the site would have such high demand that someone would be proposing an 800-foot building above.

So this iteration of the garage was an unexpected failure to imagine something this large on the site.
    That's one way to look at it. They also never imagined there wouldn't be demand for even a 15-18 story building for 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    That's one way to look at it. They also never imagined there wouldn't be demand for even a 15-18 story building for 15 years.
    To be fair, the site has been tied up in DG's hands since November 2007 and he has promised something big on the site ever since as he waited for the demand to arrive. With that perspective, the site and garage were really only used for 6 years without demand for a 15-18 story building.

Some Hudson's-related traffic closures: https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...hes/521667002/

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Ha! I might be able to do week-daily pictures from basically the same angle each time if that is sufficient.

Here's a picture from today, even more progress made.

Name:  0413181504a.jpg
Views: 5434
Size:  107.8 KB
    Please do! Great view. Thanks.

I skipped yesterday, not much progress. But today, there has been. The hole is deeper and some of the vertical beams have been removed.

Name:  0417181236a.jpg
Views: 3551
Size:  227.8 KB

I never parked in this ramp. How many levels underground was it?

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    I never parked in this ramp. How many levels underground was it?
    There were four levels.

I will be very curious to see if the whole underground garage comes out, or just the south part of it under what will be the new tower.

Arguably the north portion of the Hudson block, as proposed, is short enough that the existing garage may have been able to support what is proposed to be above it. Or it may be that once part of the garage is gone, structurally the whole thing also needed to be replaced.

Again, will be curious to see what happens.

The whole thing is coming out and being rebuilt in a different fashion. You can't just take out half a garage like this since it spans the whole site. And while the lower-rise building isn't all that tall relative to the tower, it isa very large [[heavy) building in terms of square feet given its relatively short height that will be built over its entire site, as opposed to old proposals that often broken the site up into different parcels with open space and such.

That garage was also a total dump, like something out of a Saw movie.

Another round of renderings. These were published in The Metro Times on Apr1.

http://photos.metrotimes.com/photos-...ower-complete/

Name:  IMG_9717.jpg
Views: 2695
Size:  61.0 KB

Name:  IMG_9718.jpg
Views: 2657
Size:  33.5 KB

Name:  IMG_9719.jpg
Views: 2696
Size:  75.3 KB

Name:  IMG_9720.jpg
Views: 2639
Size:  33.7 KB

Name:  IMG_9721.jpg
Views: 2642
Size:  35.4 KB

Name:  IMG_9722.jpg
Views: 2592
Size:  27.5 KB

Name:  IMG_9723.jpg
Views: 2615
Size:  69.2 KB

Name:  IMG_9724.jpg
Views: 2720
Size:  116.2 KB

Not only aren't those new [[and really just a mock-up by a reddit member), but there seems to be two threads on this project that need to be combined. This is the less active one as of late.

Page 13 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 63 113 ... LastLast