Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 12 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 62 112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Not 80 story.... 800 ft.
    Here is how to estimate the height of various types of buildings when only the number of stories is known.

And I assume the opposite, the number of stories when only the height is known [[as well as the type of building).

http://www.ctbuh.org/HighRiseInfo/Ta...B/Default.aspx

Regardless, I predict it will get built.

No one has to predict anything. The building is 58 above-ground stories and approximately 800 feet and is very much under construction. The first phase is the most complicated. They are demolishing the existing underground garage, which first required the stablization of the tub walls, which is what they are doing, now. I've been told by someone working on this project that we should see above ground work taking place in May when they get ready to tear down the interior and "roof" of the garage.

MrChrome posted a helpful schedule that they so far have stuck to. Once the new garage is poured, we'll start seeing the actual foundations of the tower and neighboring building poured later this year.

Barton Malow, the Southfield-base general contractor, is very busy on this site. It's unfortunate that Bedrock and BM have been so quiet about the initial work, but that doesn't mean it's not occurring. They'd be wise for such a historic project to get the webcam on the site going and starting posting at least monthly updates of what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    No one has to predict anything.
    B'ham, did you read that... Put it in your calendar for Summer, 2022.

Maybe, like the Little Caesars [[which had to pay off after UMBC beat UVa in the NCAAs), maybe B'ham will buy a Starbucks for each poster in this thread when the building opens.

Everyone can come to the Starbucks, and B'ham can say: A latte for everyone. On me.

It'd be nice if they posted a live feed web cam like District Detroit does for their projects.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    It'd be nice if they posted a live feed web cam like District Detroit does for their projects.
    I am fairly certain this is the first time someone posted a wish that a Gilbert development would be more like an Ilitch development. ��

There really isn't much above ground work going on, so maybe the webcam will come at a later date. It would basically be video of workers going in and out of the parking garage entrance.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    I am fairly certain this is the first time someone posted a wish that a Gilbert development would be more like an Ilitch development. ��

HAHAHAHA. That's about the only thing they could adopt from Illitch.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Everyone can come to the Starbucks, and B'ham can say: A latte for everyone. On me.
    If there's an 80-floor building on this site, ever, lunch is on me for everyone.

I do think something will be built here, of course, I just don't believe vague, ever-changing plans absent building permits and financing mean much.

Can you cite any articles or anything where it was said to be an 80-story building?

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Can you cite any articles or anything where it was said to be an 80-story building?
    This thread discusses an alleged "80-story building", per the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    You’ve got a point there

Right, then you replied that it gets taller with every news story and then used that to justify skepticism of Gilbert doing this. Unless of course your skepticism stems from a forum where a poster accidentally posted false information. So again, what news stories have you read where the details are constantly changing to make you doubt the follow through?

To be fair to Bham, the plans have changed several times, and the architect was most recently quoted saying the designs for the crown of the building were not exactly finalized:

"Witherspoon said it has yet to be determined if the observation deck will have features such as telescopes or glass floors, or if it will be enclosed, open air or both."

But this building is happening.

Right now, as everyone has said, we're just tearing out the parking garage. We also are rigging up some temporary lights to put on the fence along Woodward. I'm an electrician and doing mostly disconnecting existing electrical and doing temp work. I'm bouncing back and forth between the Hudson's site and Little Caesar's World HQ. That job, which was suppose to have 4 floors turned over by April, is way behind. The lighting in that building is the most complicated [[and expensive) I've ever seen. It's turnover date has now been pushed back to November. Right now we're building out the beer garden on the 4th floor and the bar, that you can see from Woodard, on the second floor.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor65 View Post
    Right now, as everyone has said, we're just tearing out the parking garage. We also are rigging up some temporary lights to put on the fence along Woodward. I'm an electrician and doing mostly disconnecting existing electrical and doing temp work. I'm bouncing back and forth between the Hudson's site and Little Caesar's World HQ. That job, which was suppose to have 4 floors turned over by April, is way behind. The lighting in that building is the most complicated [[and expensive) I've ever seen. It's turnover date has now been pushed back to November. Right now we're building out the beer garden on the 4th floor and the bar, that you can see from Woodard, on the second floor.
    Good info. Always good to have information from those who understand specific building projects.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor65 View Post
    Thanks for the diddy about the LC HQ. It seems they're taking forever in putting in the pizza windows.

Right, then you replied that it gets taller with every news story and then used that to justify skepticism of Gilbert doing this.
    My skepticism is rooted in the fact that A. Gilbert isn't a developer [[has never built anything more ambitious than a parking garage), B. The plans have never been formally presented [[ie building permits, building schematics, etc.), C. The project has no financing [[such a project would require a $1 billion+ loan, difficult for even the wealthiest and savviest developers) and D. The specific plans keep changing [[this building has gone from 20 to 80 floors in the last few years).

I don't doubt something will be built, eventually. I'm extremely skeptical that something very tall will get built, for the reasons listed.

Bham, 1927: This "Fisher Building" is never going to happen! I mean, maybe something will happen, but the Fisher brothers aren't developers.

Actually, I would like to hear the answers to B and C. They're valid concerns.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; April-06-18 at 12:46 PM.

My skepticism is rooted in the fact that A. Gilbert isn't a developer [[has never built anything more ambitious than a parking garage), B. The plans have never been formally presented [[ie building permits, building schematics, etc.), C. The project has no financing [[such a project would require a $1 billion+ loan, difficult for even the wealthiest and savviest developers) and D. The specific plans keep changing [[this building has gone from 20 to 80 floors in the last few years).
    I don't doubt something will be built, eventually. I'm extremely skeptical that something very tall will get built, for the reasons listed.
    Aren't the 28 Grand apts. in Capitol Park more ambitious than a garage?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Aren't the 28 Grand apts. in Capitol Park more ambitious than a garage?
    $100M+ City Modern development

Apparently you aren’t a developer unless you build new. Restoring countless buildings doesn’t count. Shinola Hotel, City Modern and 28 Grand prove your original premise wrong and the garage he did built has turned into one of downtowns big cultural draws due to its programming. I think you just want to doubt it and DG.

In other news, Crain's is reporting that the jail site will be used as a staging area for the construction of the Hudson's site. No one has been parking on top of the garage for a few weeks now.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Thanks for the diddy about the LC HQ. It seems they're taking forever in putting in the pizza windows.
    It's the weather. The glass guys are being super cautious because there is no other glass like that in the world. They told us they weren't setting pizza glass with winds over 10mph. I'm going to take a close up of it. It's just crazy seeing it up close. It's huge! The bigger problem right now is the 9th floor, the executive floor. The way the air handling units were designed they just so happen to be above Chris I's new office. They are so powerful they hum and vibrate and shake the whole 9th floor. Lol lol �� Chris is Not going to like that. They don't know what to do at this point. It's going to be an expensive change whatever they do.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    In other news, Crain's is reporting that the jail site will be used as a staging area for the construction of the Hudson's site. No one has been parking on top of the garage for a few weeks now.
    After a lull in activity, 2 excavators have been delivered to the site.

Apparently you aren’t a developer unless you build new. Restoring countless buildings doesn’t count.
    Correct. Renovating buildings is quite different from new construction, which requires different financing and skillsets.

And you could renovate a million buildings; doesn't mean an 80-floor building is a realistic project. At that height you have extreme construction costs, and elevator banks take up huge proportion of the highest floors, limiting rentable sf. There are many a half dozen outfits in the western world that could carry out such a project.

Page 12 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 62 112 ... LastLast