Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 31 of 143 FirstFirst ... 21 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 41 81 131 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    The floor plans were already released, and basically there is not enough square footage of retail [[in the proper department store format) to get even a small urban Macy's to fit, even if Gilbert wanted...
    Completely agreed and it's true. There's only 73,000 sq ft of retail for the project, which is basically a strip mall size.

If a department store is going to be there, it's probably going to be discount that doesn't exist here. Bloomingdale's does have an outlet division. But I'm hoping for a Century 21.

Today was the first time since they started that I haven't seen 1-2 dozen men working in the site. It's just too darn cold. Progress is hard to determine because of the snow cover.

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 5476
Size:  175.7 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 5343
Size:  109.9 KB

Thanks for the updates on all the construction in this area!

Looks like it would make a great swimming pool at this point!

Thanks for the updates! hopefully once it warms up things will speed up

Or ice rink... hockey anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    Looks like it would make a great swimming pool at this point!

There were a few people working at the site again today.

Hopefully things will get back to full pace now that the weather and working conditions have improved [[for now)

Protip - jump on the People Mover. Get a very cool view right into the hole. Stunning how big the thing is.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Get a very cool view right into the hole. Stunning how big the thing is.
    *8th grade giggling*

Lots of activity on the site this morning. Looks like they are building a new ramp on the Grand River side of the site and moving the one on the Gratiot side.

Here are some pictures from yesterday morning 2/11/19:

Name:  0211191130.jpg
Views: 4069
Size:  203.4 KB

Name:  0211191134a.jpg
Views: 3959
Size:  119.9 KB

Thanks for more updates, great pics.

I can’t wait for the actual steel to start going up. That is going to be a site to see when it finally top off and the American flag is flown at the very top of the Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChrome View Post
    I saw this posted on Reddit, I think it does give some decent prospective that things are actually happening.

Big crane now in the pit. Just rolled in today.

Sweet. What a wasted opportunity without it.

That made my day.

Feb 19th shows a crane building another crane. It's as if they're symbiotic caregivers of their own species!

Some assembly required.
    Last edited by Jimaz; February-19-19 at 09:41 PM.

Default Hudsons Site

Looking at these latest pictures/videos which are great, I noticed they now have 2 auger/caisson drilling machines in the pit. With the new larger crane now in place I would think they are really getting ready to start foundation work. Many rebar cages also located in the pit. Maybe by fall steel work will finally start and everyone will be so excited!

Feb 19th shows a crane building another crane. It's as if they're symbiotic caregivers of their own species!
    Last edited by bigboat; February-20-19 at 02:59 PM.

They've already been doing pretty extensive foundation work; anything additionally they will do will go very quickly. The project is still on schedule, which means steel comes in the Spring.

Though, given the complexity of the two basement levels [[actually double-height mezzanine floors, which means technically four floors), they have said we won't see steel rising above the street level until later in the year. The basement will include a lot of automated parking, and the truck elevator and turntable in the southeast corner is another piece of complicated electronics and machinery that will take some time. I'm actually more impressed by the bowels of this thing than anyhting else; it's going to be a whole other underworld on this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    I'm actually more impressed by the bowels of this thing than anyhting else; it's going to be a whole other underworld on this thing.
    My guess would be if you started with a blank canvas you wouldn't get this underworld. However, since this site came with "the pit" it only made sense to make it into something.

Oh, that's a fact. There is no way Gilbert would spend the kind of money it takes to dig four stories into the ground on a site this big. That was really always the beauty of the site aside from the location. It allowed them much more latitude to design the stuff above ground since they don't have to worry about where on the site to jam the parking and mechanical stuff. You better believe that absent the pit, we'd have had some awkard parking situation that would have ruined the design of the first few floors. Or, they'd have simply made the part where they are putting the office building into a giant parking structure.

Is that not just what he's doing at Monroe Block? Digging into the ground, there is no above ground parking.

As far as I know, there will only be two levels beneath the Monroe Block, and no where near as complicated as this, internally.

Page 31 of 143 FirstFirst ... 21 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 41 81 131 ... LastLast