Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 36 of 143 FirstFirst ... 26 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 46 86 136 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    So comparing this building to the Renaissance Center is not quite accurate.
    I very much concur with this analysis. The tower is going to create hundreds of new Detroit residents and create demand for the things that residents need.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    912 feet is fine. It will be the tallest in Michigan, and one of the tallest in the midwest, outside of Chicago. I hope we learned a lesson from the RenCen, which scooped up all the class A office space market and left a void in the rest of downtown. Prioritizing height is a vanity exercise.
    This is one skinny ass tower anyway. The problem with the Ren Cen was not the central hotel tower it was the amt. of office space in the other 6 buildings.

Dammit, I should have added the caveat of *I know the Hudson's is mostly residential/hotel* but I didn't. That's what I get for using hyperbole.

My point, without RenCen hyperbole, is that we shouldn't be chasing an arbitrary "supertall" designation, the building is already super tall for this region at 912 feet. I'd take a well-programmed building that focuses on the street level all day over a 1,000+ footer.

yeah 300 meters would be "cool" and put it in the ranks of the world's tallest buildings, but why should it matter? it's already very tall as planned. but tall buildings are not what makes a city great. yes, it would attract attention and generate civic pride, but so would great parks, transit systems and schools. i hope this current wave of development will benefit the neighborhoods as well, and that ordinary city residents that have struggled for decades while investment fled won't be left behind now that investment has decided to return.

The Skyscraper Effect [[economic theory) :

Economist Andrew Lawrence researched a phenomenon of
    when a record-breaking skyscraper is built,
    a downturn in the country’s economy follows.

The Skyscraper Index was first published in 1999
    and postulates that not only is there a correlation between both events,
    but that the rate of increase in the height of a building
    could be an accurate measurement of the extent of the crisis that follows.

Some do research their way in metro Detroit, I'll do mine - my way

https://www.businessinsider.com/skys...cession-2012-1

Last edited by O3H; March-21-19 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    The Skyscraper Effect [[economic theory) :

Economist Andrew Lawrence researched a phenomenon of
    when a record-breaking skyscraper is built,
    a downturn in the country’s economy follows.

The Skyscraper Index was first published in 1999
    and postulates that not only is there a correlation between both events,
    but that the rate of increase in the height of a building
    could be an accurate measurement of the extent of the crisis that follows.

Some do research their way in metro Detroit, I'll do mine - my way

https://www.businessinsider.com/skyscraper-index-skyscrapers-signal-financial-recession-2012-1

Sounds like another guy with too much time on his hands. Newsflash Mr. Economist: Economies are cyclical. Big skyscraper construction, record car sales, high house prices, etc. are followed by a recession.

Not my theory - it had evidence for Barclay's to pick it up as an index.

https://www.archdaily.com/503110/meg...-says-barclays

The cycle rings true all too often - Will Detroit bust after its built, perhaps

https://images.adsttc.com/media/imag...aper-index.jpg

Last edited by O3H; March-21-19 at 03:05 PM.

It only makes sense that large projects would be approved while the economy was trending up, then completed by the time the natural economic cycle was in a downturn. Correlation does not equal causation.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    It only makes sense that large projects would be approved while the economy was trending up, then completed by the time the natural economic cycle was in a downturn. Correlation does not equal causation.
    Don't try to reason with O3H's copy and paste arguments

Go argue with the Economists - they showed the pattern.
    I merely gave links, to articles, research, journalism.
    Believe what you want, use blinders, sunglasses, whatever you wish.
    Disagree with what happened around the world, various countries.

I sincerely hope Detroit revitalizes itself.
    I also do my own homework, regardless if others do not.

Last edited by O3H; March-21-19 at 05:14 PM.

I guess it bears repeating... the tower will not contain office space.... just 2 hotels, a large number of apartments and some exhibition space. So any comparison for sucking up vast amounts of office space are non-existent.

The 14 story podium part of the block next door will have some commercial space, but not a huge quantity of it... much of that portion of the complex will have other uses as well.

So comparing this building to the Renaissance Center is not quite accurate.
    O3H... if you really WOULD HAVE DONE YOUR HOMEWORK, you would have understood this.... my previous post. Read it again. All those towers you referenced are only OFFICE TOWERS.... and the RenCen hotel tower was the tallest of that complex... it was needed... unlike the lower towers which were excess capacity office space. So any analogy between either the RenCen or all those super tall towers you referenced and the Hudsons tower... are a WEAK ANALOGY. This is not rocket science....
    Last edited by Gistok; March-21-19 at 05:59 PM.

Um... in an older article [[last summer) it stated that Gilbert was deciding to go higher than the 800 ft. that was the previous stated height... but that due to elevator configurations in the plans, they could not go higher than 912ft. Don't understand how specifically that is the limit... but I'm no engineer. So yes, they stated that 912ft. would be the max [[without a spire... remember... ).

Stasu1213... are you taking over for our dearly departed conspiracy theorist Gannon? I don't think GM can or will veto Gilbert going taller than the 727 ft. of the Renaissance Center Marriott. That's between Gilbert and the city to decide. I don't think the city has any interest in forcefully reducing the height of his tower. The city would love to have a 900+ footer.
    Lol. I was a conspiracy theorist on Dyes at the same time or before Gannon was giving his opinion. I use to battle Bear in the Box on here years ago. Some of my suggestions and opinions had been right so far. The city always find a way to blow opportunities from having the Qline extend to 8 mile road to being put on Amazon's and the U.S. Army's list for potential home of a second headquarters. Me and others on this site don't wear tin foiled hats as some would suggest. There is an underlying movement in Detroit that want to keep things the old way and would go behind the scenes to foil or prolong the developing or opening of any business or development that would be a threat to what is already here

Oh okay, now I see that this skyscraper is super duper radical innovative.
    In fact it's not even a skyscraper, it's modernistic architecture of a new kind.
    Got it Gistok. It simply has no comparison on this planet earth.
    Let me double check , oh, we are at 7.7 Billion on the planet [[Earth that is)

I'll just leave this here :
    https://images.adsttc.com/media/imag...aper-index.jpg
    Last edited by O3H; March-21-19 at 06:50 PM.

This thread is giving me a migraine. Any chance we can keep it relative to the original topic? I keep checking in excited for an update only to find some seriously whacky posts.

Southen,

Today's video appears to show them having cleaned up the southwest corner, so it looks like we'll be seeing work again on that end, soon.

Any rumors on tenants so far? I think I heard about a law firm a while back

O3H needs to quit yapping with that crusty curmudgeon bullshit. I agree with the other poster who lamented how off topic it is and how they get excited when they see new posts only to find out it's irrelevant drivel. I can relate. It's a beautiful design and I can't wait to see its progress this year.

Dmberko11
    your post matters :-)

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Dmberko11
    your post matters :-)
    Fine, you made me say it. ALL posts matter lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Southen,

Today's video appears to show them having cleaned up the southwest corner, so it looks like we'll be seeing work again on that end, soon.

Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    There is an underlying movement in Detroit that want to keep things the old way and would go behind the scenes to foil or prolong the developing or opening of any business or development that would be a threat to what is already here
    Unfortunately this is very true. It’s an interesting mix of everyone from the criminal element, politicos, religious figures, to the wealthy/highly educated. They also seek to foil anything that threatens their way of life and/or social standing. To have heard some of these people in private compared to their public persona is truly appalling.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Southen,

Hang on a sec. One of those red trucks fills at the lower left corner, dumps at the upper right corner and then gets refilled??

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    Unfortunately this is very true. It’s an interesting mix of everyone from the criminal element, politicos, religious figures, to the wealthy/highly educated. They also seek to foil anything that threatens their way of life and/or social standing. To have heard some of these people in private compared to their public persona is truly appalling.
    How do you deal with these parasites?

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Hang on a sec. One of those red trucks fills at the lower left corner, dumps at the upper right corner and then gets refilled??
    As they've done over time, I'd imagine they are building a ramp at the northeast corner. If you remember, the first ramp was in the southwest corner. They rebuild ramps in different corners are they work around the site for easier access.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    Lol yeah right. There are elements who control what type of retail is allowed to open downtown midtown. Don't be surprised if Meijer will never open a store on Jefferson anytime soon. The only reason why Whole Foods had opened on Woodward is for there wasn't council by region back then when the decision was made to have a Whole Foods there and there was an agreement between Council and the Mayor at that time. Now, anyone could control the councilperson of a particular district to say yea or nay to any development

Page 36 of 143 FirstFirst ... 26 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 46 86 136 ... LastLast