Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 20 of 143 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 30 70 120 ... LastLast

Love it but is it realistic that such an abrupt design change can happen so late?

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Love it but is it realistic that such an abrupt design change can happen so late?
    Check out the attached documents in the Crain's article. They have schematics for everything. A lot of thought went into this and I am guessing it has been in the works for some time. They only thing they are missing right now is some of the details and updated renderings on the tower's exterior, but those are all things that are more fluid anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Huh? There are buildings whose designs have changed while they were under construction. This one hasn't even started construction. Of course a design change can happen now.

The latest news is from a site plan Bedrock filed with the city last month. The latest design is undergoing a site plan review. This isn't something they just pulled out of their ass yesterday. Please go to the Crain's article and read the 50+ page site plan showing schematics of every floor, the variances they are requesting, etc...

Love the multiple setbacks! Hope they stick with this design over what we saw originally. This building will change the feeling in this area so much once it starts going up.

It looks like they're going to use some kind of "stacking" system for parking.

From the FOIAed document:

The sub-grade structure provides both traditional and automated valet, with the majority of parking housed in an automated stacking system, allowing significantly more parking than would otherwise be possible.

90 buildings years. Filling them with retail that will build out space and open in the timeframe expected. No. Gilbert wanted a grocery store in the downtown area in one of his building but city beurocracy had stopped it.. I speculate the Planet Fitness suffered from the hands of Detroit beurocracy. Most major nationally know chains do

Wow. A massive departure from what we have seen....And I think they hit it out of the park with the updated design compared to what has been presented thus far.

Plus one must ask why isn't there a good grocery store or furniture store downtown. Of course there are one or two small grocers such as Eatori but no full grocery stores. Where is a good furniture store? High rent and more paying downtown residents will have to drive into the nearby suburbs to purchase a chair. refrigerator, or ironing board. Sure Gilbert own the buildings but the BS in the city decided which retail would open in those buildings that are not giving a hard time and get discourage

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Wow. A massive departure from what we have seen....And I think they hit it out of the park with the updated design compared to what has been presented thus far.
    Agree. Obviously it's not entirely unique, but this design will stand out without appearing out of place. For me it calls to mind the Penobscot or other classic art deco step-back designs. Big improvement over the single slab shown earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I agree. I like that the "podium" is now 14 stories tall, as it is the majority of the footprint.

I can hardly wait to see signs of footings and the building starting to rise.
    Me three on the revised design.

Now that's what an iconic, classy, Michigan's tallest skyscraper is supposed to look like! Much better design that mimics the asymmetrical design of the Davis Stott Building, updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Junjie View Post
    Agree. Obviously it's not entirely unique, but this design will stand out without appearing out of place. For me it calls to mind the Penobscot or other classic art deco step-back designs. Big improvement over the single slab shown earlier.
    Thanks for pointing that out because I saw a comment on social media that they should have it more like the traditional art deco. And I'm thinking exactly to what you said. It pays homage to them in its modern design and no better place to do that than in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Interesting development. A footing on its way to bedrock?
    Someone who is smarter than I told me that it's a footing for a crane. That would make sense.

I haven't been doing more than a picture a week in a while, but I must break that rule. More activity. New equipment. Another possible footing.

Most noticeable is that there seems to be a machine that looks like it would do boring, which I believe would be used to help secure foundational things to bedrock. However, keep in mind, I'm no expert, just a guy with access and a camera.

Name:  1012181445.jpg
Views: 3812
Size:  183.0 KB

However, keep in mind, I'm no expert, just a guy with access and a camera.
    And the willingness to keep us informed. Thanks.

I haven't been doing more than a picture a week in a while, but I must break that rule. More activity. New equipment. Another possible footing.

Most noticeable is that there seems to be a machine that looks like it would do boring, which I believe would be used to help secure foundational things to bedrock. However, keep in mind, I'm no expert, just a guy with access and a camera.

To my eyes I see a crane that will be used to bring and set things and outside the pit, or even just for building within the pit. To the right, that plainly looks like a pile driver, but even blowing up the shot I'm not sure.

Either way, this is indeed a new set of equipment that doesn't have anything to do with removing the debris from the site; that definitely looks like actual building equipment, which would make sense since Bedrock revealed last week or the week before that they've be requesting a construction permit next month to start on the foundation. I'll check the FAA website to see if anyone has filed a permit for a tower crane.

BTW, as Neilr has said, your updates on this project have been invaluable, especially with Bedrock being so secretive about this project.

Reddit user [[and I think DetroitYES member) mr_hemi updated his skyline renderings. Pretty cool stuff. This building is massive.

https://imgur.com/a/s111q8J

Name:  DuXLacL.jpg
Views: 1714
Size:  136.1 KB

As someone who came here from Boston after Hudsons closed but before the implosion I can say it's been awesome to watch the transition from Detroit's old beloved historic site to one that will make history. I'll have a few things to share, but we'll start with this one. It will be a time lapse when the site is clear and if I continue to have the privilege another time lapse of an over 900 ft landmark which will be the tallest building in the Great Lakes outside of Chicago. So here goes.. Enjoy.

A close look from the ground during July.

15 minutes of fame... It took about an hour to film this...

They hit it out of the park with this design! I'm pretty sure the color won't be green [[that's a good thing), but I would like to see if they could have the top of each set back have a design on it. That I think would make it even more unique.

Just out of curiosity, is this being financed, or is this coming entirely out of Gilbert's pockets [[minus incentives)?

Glad to see you made it, Bill!

Gracias. It will be an interesting place where all types of people can share the greatness of our common future. How’s that formlofty speech. Yeah!

hmm... so will there be ongoing work done during the cold weather seasons?

Page 20 of 143 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 30 70 120 ... LastLast