Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 52 of 142 FirstFirst ... 2 42 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 62 102 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 3540

EGrant - you are funny!

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Just thinking about how we're going to have at least three more years of mindless debates on this thread; "July 6, 2021: the crew placed a bolt in the southwest corner of the building today, and based on my extensive background in internet commenting, I believe the bolt was backwards and the entire project is a fraud."
    But in order to remove that bolt you have to .......... which causes another 6 months of delays.

That is construction,1 thing can cause delays but once they get the foundation done the rest should go up pretty quick.

When you look at the old days it did take over 3 years to build big stuff.

Originally Posted by 313WXSaying that Detroit is an equal comparison to a city 1/3 to half its size is absurd.

That would be like comparing San Antonio with Dallas. Yeah, they're both in Texas and they both have basketball teams, but that's about as far as the similarities go.
    Dallas has 1.3 million people and 385 sq miles and San Antonio has 1.4 million and 465 sq miles.
    How dissimilar is this really? Sounds fairly close to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Denver isn't "southern places." It averages nearly as much snow as Detroit and arguably has a worse freeze/thaw cycle.
    Denver does not have the same extreme winter temperatures we get here. The coldest month there [[December) has average highs of 47. Detroit has 5 months colder than that. It snows there and then melts immediately. It is not remotely the same climate.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Dallas has 1.3 million people and 385 sq miles and San Antonio has 1.4 million and 465 sq miles.
    How dissimilar is this really? Sounds fairly close to me.
    I'm pretty sure we're talking metro areas

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    It snows there and then melts immediately.
    That's a bit of an exaggeration.

Either way, you just further proved my point about the "vicious freeze-thaw cycles" in Denver, as the recent article details.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.9ne...Id=73-67608930

Yet, they still manage to have better road quality than Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    That's a bit of an exaggeration.

Either way, you just further proved my point about the "vicious freeze-thaw cycles" in Denver, as the recent article details.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.9ne...Id=73-67608930

Yet, they still manage to have better road quality than Detroit.
    The ground doesn't freeze unless there are extended time periods below freezing. That rarely happens in Denver. Snow on the ground does not equal frozen ground.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    The ground doesn't freeze unless there are extended time periods below freezing.
    Soil? Maybe not.

Surfaces [[including roads)? They absolutely can without an extended period of time below freezing, as they do in Denver [[or do you take issue with the news article I posted?)

I spent my childhood in Denver. It rarely freezes and we rarely got a white winter. Usually the snow would be gone pretty quickly, also Demver doesn't use salt they use sand for traction. Your constant shitting on a city you don't live in or like is getting old and pathetic.

Seriously already. Denver is just not a good comparison. Anyone who has spent time there knows they have a milder climate and significantly less harsh winters. Hell, one of the main things people who move to Denver say they like about the area is that it has all four seasons but more consistent, milder temperatures. It's a bad comparison ok? Yes, we have shit roads and, yes, they have seen more investment in the last few years to make them better. If we want a comparison let's talk about Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    I spent my childhood in Denver. It rarely freezes and we rarely got a white winter. Usually the snow would be gone pretty quickly, also Denver doesn't use salt they use sand for traction....
    I too lived in Denver as a child long ago. Not able to drive at that age, I don't recall the pothole situation. I do recall that what snow there was did disappear fast. Adults claimed it was because the air was so dry [[sublimation?). There's also the adiabatic cooling/orographic lifting effect that causes precipitation to fall on the windward, rather than the leeward [[Denver) side of the Rockies.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    ...also Demver doesn't use salt they use sand for traction...
    ^^^Exhibit A as far as a lesson to learn from Denver.

Maybe if Detroit used sand to treat its roads like Denver, they wouldn't be nearly as abysmal.

The roads are a lot better but they don't take the beating the roads here do. People also drive less, but there is better transportation and less industry. I only remember freezing rain once when I was there and I had no idea what was going on.

Food for thought:

Eighty Percent of Contractors Report Difficulty Finding Qualified Craft Workers to Hire

“Workforce shortages remain one of the single most significant threats to the construction industry,” said Stephen E. Sandherr, AGC’s chief executive officer. “However, construction labor shortages are a challenge that can be fixed, and this association will continue to do everything in its power to make sure that happens.”

https://www.agc.org/news/2019/08/27/eighty-percent-contractors-report-difficulty-finding-qualified-craft-workers-hire

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Food for thought:

Eighty Percent of Contractors Report Difficulty Finding Qualified Craft Workers to Hire

“Workforce shortages remain one of the single most significant threats to the construction industry,” said Stephen E. Sandherr, AGC’s chief executive officer. “However, construction labor shortages are a challenge that can be fixed, and this association will continue to do everything in its power to make sure that happens.”

https://www.agc.org/news/2019/08/27/eighty-percent-contractors-report-difficulty-finding-qualified-craft-workers-hire
    I can't even find someone to tile my bathroom in Plymouth. It is crazy out there for folks who actually have a trade.

I know some tradesmen who are on mandatory 12 hour days.

I know one company owner who is using his 18 yr. old son and stepson to help him out because he has tried for 2 years to find workers, but to no avail.
    Last edited by Gistok; September-05-19 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JDKeepsmiling View Post
    I can't even find someone to tile my bathroom in Plymouth. It is crazy out there for folks who actually have a trade.
    Have you considered tiling it yourself? Laying tile is not difficult.

Ummm,can we get back on topic? Interesting stuff but not sure how the last page and a half has anything to do with the Hudson project.

Quote Originally Posted by wzer View Post
    Ummm,can we get back on topic? Interesting stuff but not sure how the last page and a half has anything to do with the Hudson project.
    Thank you!

Yes... please.

Hear ya go...

Businessman Dan Gilbert’s organization persuaded Detroit and state officials to give his development companies free land and hundreds of millions of dollars in tax incentives by promising to turn downtown into a walkable urban center with public plazas and a skyscraper that would be a “landmark destination.”
    Bedrock chairman Dan Gilbert

But the city’s Downtown Development Authority and the Michigan Economic Development Corp. didn’t demand that Gilbert’s real estate and development company, Bedrock Detroit, document how it intended to finance construction of the skyscraper at the site of the former J.L. Hudson flagship store, and a 35-story office tower and four other buildings on the Monroe block.

https://www.freep.com/in-depth/news/investigations/2019/09/06/dan-gilbert-bedrock-projects/2207973001/

https://www.freep.com/in-depth/news/...ts/2207973001/

"Bedrock got nearly free land, millions in incentives — based on Dan Gilbert promises"

A very critical article of the favorable treatment of Gilbert\Bedrock with regard to tax subsidies.

This closely resembles the favorable treament in places like "The District Detroit" but Gilbert has actually done something with his freebies. I'm not saying it's okay...but at least there is some sort of positive development coming of them.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    https://www.freep.com/in-depth/news/...ts/2207973001/

"Bedrock got nearly free land, millions in incentives — based on Dan Gilbert promises"

A very critical article of the favorable treatment of Gilbert\Bedrock with regard to tax subsidies.
    I thought this article was a little weird as it felt it relied on a lot of speculation and outside commentators.

Also, why didn't we get a lengthy article like this about Little Caesars' and the promises Illitch made? Just some generic short ones and a few Op-Eds. At least Gilbert is making progress on the vision he has pitched for Downtown.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...16118603&row=4

I thought this was interesting today, looks like the FAA permits for the block section of the building and two 450ft tower cranes were recently filed.

Page 52 of 142 FirstFirst ... 2 42 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 62 102 ... LastLast