Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New Detroit Signs: Opinions

I love the idea. I just wish they could have elevated it a little higher than arms-reach. It's an easy target on only a two-foot base. Growing up in Southwest, I hope it doesn't get spray painted F*** You, or B****h, or gang symbols 6 hours after it's installed. Gang members love high profile things showing off "who's hood this is." Let's pray it doesn't embarrass us as the Draft Fans roll into town.

I keep thinking about the Rock on WSU campus that gets repainted....and repainted...and repainted [[by different groups) daily it seems! LOL

Opinions?

Name:  Detroit Sign.jpeg
Views: 973
Size:  128.0 KB
    Last edited by casscorridor65; April-09-24 at 03:57 PM.

It's fine. I think it would look better elevated over the roadway, but yea I know there are rules about stuff like that.

It would be nice if this had been done with time for some proper mature plantings around it. As it is it looks like a last minute idea, which is exactly what it was.

Honestly, I kind of like it. It's getting crapped on, but it's fine and probably looks cool when you drive in.

Do agree with others...hope this doesn't get painted right away.

If they want to do it right, they will buy fully grown plants/flowers and put them in when it's all installed. By then they should live and it would look much nicer
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    It's fine. I think it would look better elevated over the roadway, but yea I know there are rules about stuff like that.

It would be nice if this had been done with time for some proper mature plantings around it. As it is it looks like a last minute idea, which is exactly what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    If they want to do it right, they will buy fully grown plants/flowers and put them in when it's all installed. By then they should live and it would look much nicer
    I'm pretty sure that's in the works. Greenery around the base shows in the rendering and I think there was a quote about it being part of the plan.

“It’s going to be like the Hollywood sign, but smaller,” she said. “The letters will look like they are floating on beautiful greenery … and they will light up in Detroit’s colors, green and white.”
    Detroit getting Hollywood-style sign ahead of 2024 NFL draft [[freep.com)

The problem is they compared it to arguable the most famous sign in the world. They oversold it and of course it was going to disappoint. If they simple said they were adding some signage to beautify the entry into the city nobody would complain. Instead those putting out the press release embarrassed themselves by going with the comparison that they did.

I don't mind it. I may have done something cooler for $400k but it isn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    The problem is they compared it to arguable the most famous sign in the world. They oversold it and of course it was going to disappoint. If they simple said they were adding some signage to beautify the entry into the city nobody would complain. Instead those putting out the press release embarrassed themselves by going with the comparison that they did.

I don't mind it. I may have done something cooler for $400k but it isn't bad.
    The City put out an almost perfectly accurate rendering upon the announcement back in February. It's also $400k for this sign and 6 other smaller signs at the City's borders. Way better than a blue bridge that sorta has a football shape to it.

Name:  Screenshot_10-4-2024_115039_www.axios.com.jpeg
Views: 532
Size:  192.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Honestly, I kind of like it. It's getting crapped on, but it's fine and probably looks cool when you drive in.
    100% agree.

People want to shit on everything because it's harder than actually trying to make a difference. Look at the golden ring on Hall Road and how everyone wants to say it looks like a booty-hole, when it doesn't. Sterling Heights adopted a theme for all of it's major corridors instead of just making them bland.

Ignore the haters. I dig the DETROIT sign!

agree with Wylie

I don't hate it either, but I think this would have worked better in a spot where visitors can actually get out and grab a pic for insta. Tourists love shit like that when they travel, but no one is pulling over on 94 here.

Where the new Detroit sign sits on the 'stink scale'
    It took several weeks for the letters to be built and then a few days for them to be installed, but now that it’s up, some people aren’t thrilled with the look.

I think it's just fine; a lot of people enter Detroit that way so it will be seen and it's not something every other city has. It just looks raw because it's brand new

I'm in the minority with the posts here - its in a bad location, almost certainly will be blocked by traffic, and undersized. I think it would have been better off on some overhang.

The letters are eight feet tall and will be lit {today} at night.

For me it's like the eclipse. I'm ambivalent. ¯\_{ツ}_/¯

Its a terribly designed thing. The letters, spacing, and orientation are a mess. There is no implied reference to the identity of the place. Its a real missed opportunity, but probably better than the 12x12 metal sign that announced your arrival in Detroit before. I just want to know who signed off on this design. Like, who thought, "Yeah, that is what's going to turn people on to Detroit!" That person shouldn't be making those decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by gratiotfaced View Post
    I don't hate it either, but I think this would have worked better in a spot where visitors can actually get out and grab a pic for insta. Tourists love shit like that when they travel, but no one is pulling over on 94 here.
    Agreed. Toronto's version of this comes to mind. Tourists [[yours truly included) take photos there all the time.

Deisign opinions aside, Detroit's version is a textbook missed opportunity.

I like it. I would have made two changes: 1. Use the Tiger's Old English "D" which calls out the heritage of the City, and 2) Locate it in spot where someone can pull over and take a picture. A snapshot at the entrance sign is a popular choice of travelers.

They should have used the "Ole English D" for sure. That was a major gaffe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    They should have used the "Ole English D" for sure. That was a major gaffe.
    Yes but then what about the other characters? Use Old English for those too? That might work.

Old English text generator

No, I think just he initial "D" makes the statement.

I believe the Olde English D used by the Tigers is under copywrite. There are other Olde English Fonts our there but not identical to ours.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I believe the Olde English D used by the Tigers is under copywrite. There are other Olde English Fonts our there but not identical to ours.
    Somebody mentioned this in the Det. News comments and a few people responded you can't copyright the Olde English D but isn't that why they had to stop the D drop on New Year's Eve?

So, the funky D is a baseball thing and you want it for a football thing?

And hopefully the NFL paid for this roadside distraction that might cause accidents and not the taxpayers.

24. Default

I like the new sign and it's better than nothing. It looks good passing it on I-94.

This is a variety of Old English D's;but the one the Tiger's trademarked in 2017 is not useableName:  Ds.png
Views: 138
Size:  59.2 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast