Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Dodge Fountain at Hart Plaza - Status of Repairs

Any idea on how the repairs are progressing? The NFL Draft starts in two weeks.

Is the scaffolding still there? The scheduled timeline was for it to be removed by mid-March for the fountain to be completed by mid-April.

Scaffolding is still in place. The entire fountain is covered in white plastic and the circular area around the fountain is fenced off.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    Scaffolding is still in place. The entire fountain is covered in white plastic and the circular area around the fountain is fenced off.
    Then for sure it won't be ready. They may remove the scaffolding for appearance though.

Forgive me, but I think the Dodge Fountain is nothing but a nightmare. When Mrs. Dodge bequeathed the bucks to the city for it, I'd just bet that she had something like the Scott Fountain on Belle Isle in mind. Not a big tin tire on two supports. Just sayin'.

I was just thinking the same thing, Ray.

Name:  Dodge Fountain [[04-11-2024).jpg
Views: 478
Size:  108.7 KB

Just to be clear, the white plastic covers the scaffolding and the fountain.
    Last edited by GPCharles; April-11-24 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Forgive me, but I think the Dodge Fountain is nothing but a nightmare. When Mrs. Dodge bequeathed the bucks to the city for it, I'd just bet that she had something like the Scott Fountain on Belle Isle in mind. Not a big tin tire on two supports. Just sayin'.
    Agreed. It's always been ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Currently Looks like a giant mattress sale!

Newsflash - the white cover has been removed and it looks like they are getting ready to take down the scaffolding.

Hot take, I like the fountain! Scott Fountain is beautiful for sure, but it's not an attraction for most people. If the Dodge fountain is restored to full working order it will be a real draw to Hart Plaza, especially for parents and kids!

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    What's wrong with the fountain is that it has so rarely worked. Fountains are about water spraying around, and fountains that don't have water spraying around are bad fountains.

I'm not saying the fountain design is what I would have chosen, but that's not the main issue. Also, it's not like Hart Plaza is particularly attractive either; I find it to be more of a barrier to the waterfront than a gateway. Fortunately the Riverwalk has really made that a lot less important.

I remember ice skating around the fountain. What was the name of the bar just off the rink?

cliff

Newsflash - the scaffolding has been removed. Fencing is still in place.

Ice skating was on the oblong space where they put the stage for music events.
    Restaurant was the Down Under.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    Ice skating was on the oblong space where they put the stage for music events.
    Restaurant was the Down Under.
    If I remember correctly it started out as a Japanese restaurant. Like the original Ren Cen restaurants, really great views of the river.

Thanx guys.

c

Crews work magic for rebirth of Dodge Fountain in downtown Detroit
    The national spotlight is about to shine all over downtown Detroit, and our Hart Plaza will have some extra sparkle. That's because the Dodge Fountain is about to get a new lease on life.
    They had to put "new patina" on its aluminum panels. LOL! There's an oxymoron for ya.
    Last edited by Jimaz; Today at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post

Crews work magic for rebirth of Dodge Fountain in downtown Detroit
    They had to put "new patina" on its aluminum panels. LOL! There's an oxymoron for ya.
    Glad I watched the video. The quote about the Draft and extra sparkle made it sound like it would be ready by next week. Oh well, I'm coming to see the Tigers Memorial weekend so it will be ready for me.