Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 39 of 143 FirstFirst ... 29 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 49 89 139 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by A2Mike View Post
    Why the incremental creep in height? Just make it 1000' or more, and that would put it in a league with some the country's most ambitious projects. Just not one of those skinny NY towers - they look pretty scary to be in - or near.
    Its due to the elevator cores. They will not support a height greater than that

I talked to a friend today who is very involved with upcoming construction projects downtown. He told me that the most recent information he has is that the tower is actually going to be shrinking in height back closer to the original. I really hope it's not true but he told me that GM especially does not want it taller than their headquarters.

GM has no say in this development. Stop repeating this idiotic idea that somehow because GM has penis envy Gilbert will kowtow to them and shrink his building. I guarantee if it does come out shorter it will not be because of GM.
    Quote Originally Posted by idlejosh44 View Post
    I talked to a friend today who is very involved with upcoming construction projects downtown. He told me that the most recent information he has is that the tower is actually going to be shrinking in height back closer to the original. I really hope it's not true but he told me that GM especially does not want it taller than their headquarters.

The part of the Renaissance Center that is tallest is the Marriott Hotel. So why would GM care when their 4 39 story office towers are only 522 ft. tall.

For so many reasons, I really hope they can get the 900’ or so height.

The RenCen complex has dominated the Detroit skyline since it was built. Truth be told, I was never a huge fan of the design, but the part I liked least is how the rest of downtown is visually minimized in comparison. It would be so nice to have a tower in Downtown that is taller, to balance out the skyline and return downtown to its rightful prominence.

The RenCen, in addition to dominating the skyline, also represents the auto industry as a whole. Built by Ford, the HQs of GM, and functionally detached from the walkable downtown with a commute-drive-in, drive-home operation. It represents everything Detroit has been dominated by for the last 40-50 years. This new Gilbert Hudson Tower represents the new Detroit, and one that is not entirely focused on the Auto industry.

Just as the Ren Cen will continue to have a significant place in the skyline, the auto industry will continue to be very significant in Detroit. But in the new Detroit, there is some more balance between the auto industry and others new industries, many of which are under the Gilbert umbrella. To me, that is what the new tower represents, and why it needs to be taller. The tower represents that the new Detroit is not beholden and beneath the auto industry. And the only way that can be accomplished visually in the skyline is if the tower is noticeably taller than the RenCen. It creates a new visual that the new Detroit is different, and more balanced. And I think that is incredibly important statement to make and to see right now.

I am normally not into these “how tall can you build it contests”, but in this case, I think having that tall tower is symbolically very important. And that is why I really hope they can achieve the 900’ height. Because not to be overly dramatic, but I think a visual statement like that will go a long ways to getting Detroit’s reputation over the hump.

Quote Originally Posted by ParisianLesion View Post
    You'll find several at a magical site called google.com
    Those all seem to be "high angle" shots - nothing like what it would look like from Dieppe Gardens or Belle Isle. And most don't have the "new" design, just blocks.

There's no "official" rendering for what you're looking for, but Reddit user Mr. Hemi created some in Sketchup.

https://imgur.com/a/s111q8J

Quote Originally Posted by idlejosh44 View Post
    I could believe this claim especially when elected officials are easily bought off to throw a monkey wrench in the plans of anything new in favor of the old guard. Sure Gilbert had all the money but GM has the politicians in it's back pocket

Why the hell would GM care if another building got constructed that was taller than the Ren Cen? Really. That might be the dumbest thing I've heard. What's even dumber is that Gilbert would back off or say OK to it. City Council isn't going to look at this as Old Guard vs New. GM employees what? 6-7K people downtown? Quicken & affiliates employee almost 20K downtown. So please don't tell me that GM is going to boss around DG and City Council.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Why the hell would GM care if another building got constructed that was taller than the Ren Cen? Really. That might be the dumbest thing I've heard. What's even dumber is that Gilbert would back off or say OK to it. City Council isn't going to look at this as Old Guard vs New. GM employees what? 6-7K people downtown? Quicken & affiliates employee almost 20K downtown. So please don't tell me that GM is going to boss around DG and City Council.
    You are correct. It's starting to resemble the Freep comment section around here.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    You are correct. It's starting to resemble the Freep comment section around here.
    What a perfectly accurate description! Honestly though, I feel dumber after reading those comment sections.

In the 20 years I've been posting here... I guess paraphrasing comedian Buck Henry is appropriate... "DYes has always had its' share of d o u c h e b a g s... and likely always will!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R20ZrEAbeN8

Anyone know what the square shaped holes on the bottom left are?
    The digger begins to excavate them at the end of the video and I was wondering if they could potentially be for steel [[i know nothing about construction btw)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas D'Asti View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R20ZrEAbeN8

Anyone know what the square shaped holes on the bottom left are?
    The digger begins to excavate them at the end of the video and I was wondering if they could potentially be for steel [[i know nothing about construction btw)
    Looks like more spots where caissons will be drilled. They're all through the site already. They cut out 4 today and then covered them in dirt like they've been doing throughout the site before drilling and cementing steel supports into the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    In the 20 years I've been posting here... I guess paraphrasing comedian Buck Henry is appropriate... "DYes has always had its' share of d o u c h e b a g s... and likely always will!"
    😂😂😂 exactly

New insight into the ongoing construction.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...ons-foundation

Some highlights:

-Parts of the old foundation have caused over 300 hours of delays.
    -They've completed 74 of 105 caisson holes.
    -Spring 2020 is when the construction will start to be above grade.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    -They've completed 74 of 105 caisson holes.
    For the 9-story tall part of the building.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    There's no "official" rendering for what you're looking for, but Reddit user Mr. Hemi created some in Sketchup.

https://imgur.com/a/s111q8J
    Thanks! At least I get an idea of how it fits from different views - although some of them make it look isolated, which it won't be

Only Cleveland gets the Magnitude 4 earthquakes

• 2019-06-10 14:50:44 [[UTC)

• 41.695°N 81.466°W

How many buildings collapsed in Cleveland today? Are they going tp rebuild Tower City because based on the logic I've read here I'm assuming it imploded like the Hudson's Building on TNT as soon as that earthquake got to 3.0 because apparently civil engineering doesn't exist.

We don't get earthquakes in Detroit, nothing collapses here,
    other than the city's economy which went bankrupt.

Ohhh look the earthquake cause Bartocktoo to come crawling out......

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    We don't get earthquakes in Detroit, nothing collapses here,
    other than the city's economy which went bankrupt.

Ohhh look the earthquake cause Bartocktoo to come crawling out......

Yes, yes it did. An earthquake in Cleveland caused me to crawl out from where I was hiding and post this here at this time. That was the plan and that is exactly what happened. But you figured me out, dammit!

Gistok simulated it by bumping his table where the LEGO rendering was built
    No worries, it just swayed back and forth a bit, but didn't crumble

Bartock... I never did get the chance to welcome you back to the forum...

O3H... go back to water & sewage. I sold off all my LEGO years ago... now finishing a 9 volume LEGO Encyclopedia deal with China's leading publisher... Who knew that with a middle class of 340 million, and with LEGO [[now the worlds leading toy) now sizzling hot in China, and the building of 80 LEGO company stores there... that I will retire on book advances and royalties...

Not bad for a LEGO nerd....
    Last edited by Gistok; June-10-19 at 04:19 PM.

Nice to know all those solitary decades in the house payed off for you Gistok
    Let's hope Detroit builds stuff that doesn't go bankrupt and vacant .

Page 39 of 143 FirstFirst ... 29 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 49 89 139 ... LastLast