Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 35 of 142 FirstFirst ... 25 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 45 85 135 ... LastLast

Not to mention if you knew so much about skyscraper construction you’d know that foundation work for large buildings can take awhile and that the projects on track with the schedule released over a year ago.

We’ve been building skyscrapers in the US for over a hundred years. If you don’t think they put wind and earthquakes in consideration in 2019 you’re insane. No ones going to sink as much money as people do into these buildings if they think they’re going to fall over in an earthquake or windstorm.

You’re practically singlehandedly ruining this forum, O3H. No one can post anything without you highjacking their thread with trivial semi-related shit and your shitty threads always clog the top of the forum.

Please just relax with your trivial BS and try to post something constructive that remains fully on topic for once. And no, your posts about wind and earthquakes that source random links from around the internet aren’t what I mean by constructive and fully on topic.

So the pre-requisite to post on Detroit Yes is an Engineering Degree ?
    Many of you would disappear instantly.

I think some are pissed off because I don't follow them like mindless sheep

Instead of attacking me - post something ON TOPIC perhaps

Let's see what you have up your sleeve NSortzi - anything relevant ?

I live in Metro Detroit , some apparently do not .....

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    ~ Where I live - projects usually give all kinds of little interesting facts to the media about construction ~.
    Last edited by O3H; March-19-19 at 10:15 AM.

Here's something on topic, and cool. It was posted upthread, but you can watch time lapse of each day of construction here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-h...vGOLiIOs1ZawzA

You can even judge for yourself how deep they are drilling the caissons [[by the length of the rebar cages waiting to go into the holes), and watch the 9-12 cement trucks that show up to finish each of them.

The video updates posted on that youtube channel are pretty cool, but once tower construction begins, it won't be a very useful point of view. Hopefully by that point there's an official webcam posted by Bedrock or something like that.

I have to hand to Dan Gilbert, he almost single handed brought downtown Detroit back to life. I am liking the shops that are opening in the next few months and restaurants such as Penney Reds, Brakeman, Madcap and the upcoming H&M. Downtown will soon rival the downtowns of other cities across the country but will have more of a unique flare. I would love to know what stores are going to fill in the storefronts on Woodward between Milwaukee and Grand Blvd.

Give us a break OH3. Maybe post more on your twitter account and a little less here? Would that be a fair compromise? After all they agreed to follow you. Everyone on this board isn’t here for DetroitWILLI!

You don't know me very well .......... I don't kowtow to social pressure

I'll post on my own praerogativa . Perhaps I'll shit on the Lions some more

I hope that no one is intentionally trying to reveal more about another forum member's identity. We should all be allowed to reveal as much about our personal identities as we choose. That decision should not be made for us.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I hope that no one is intentionally trying to reveal more about another forum member's identity. We should all be allowed to reveal as much about our personal identities as we choose. That decision should not be made for us.
    I think that rule is only for divulging real identities. And even then many forumers don't care, since their names reflects who they really are.

And also when forumers pass away, their real identities get revealed.

But as for forumer switching alias's... I know of no such rule preventing their old alias's being revealed. I can see them not liking it though, and yeah it kinda violates the spirit of anonymity. But sometimes it's beyond obvious.
    Last edited by Gistok; March-20-19 at 10:17 AM.

This has been my best decision to date.
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  39.2 KB

Exactly - if you don't like - don't read it. Thanks Gumby

According to Crain's, the actual height is still up in the air. I hope for a Supertall just because it would look nice on the skyline. Bedrock's website still says 912 feet.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/voices...udsons-project

They aren't going any higher. it would delay the whole project since they'd have to reconfigure a lot of things.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    You don't know me very well .......... I don't kowtow to social pressure

I'll post on my own praerogativa . Perhaps I'll shit on the Lions some more

LMAO!!!
    Let us guess. The lions suck, have sucked for a long time and never been to a super bowl repeated 50 times like this is news to anyone beyond first grade around here. Then a big lecture about how smart you are, well read, with links to any one of thousands of articles about lions not winning for 50+ years??

You have really done your “homework” there to come to that conclusion captain obvious. What is next in your brilliant deductions? 2+2=4 ??? Again tell us how smart you are willi lest we forget.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; March-20-19 at 04:40 PM.

I'll go so far as the lions don't belong on a Hudson's Site Tower thread
    -- I figured that out ABetterDetroit Tell us again how its relevant to the topic.
    Last edited by O3H; March-20-19 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    They aren't going any higher. it would delay the whole project since they'd have to reconfigure a lot of things.
    I think that politics may be at play concerning the height of this building. GM is probaly not going to let Gilbert's Hudson's tower dwarf the Marriott Hotel and take the throne to being the tallest building in Michigan. This may cause a delay in the actual construction of the tower especially when construction will start going vertical. Why start construction on a building and don't even have the final design decided. I would like to see 900 feet but I would not be surprise if the actual height settled on is 700 plus matching the RenCen's height but not toppling it. Detroit has a history of throwing monkey wrenches in original plans

....I think it's safe to say the height of Hudson site is the very last thing on earth GM cares about. some of you really need to lay off the bong before you post here.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I think that politics may be at play concerning the height of this building. GM is probaly not going to let Gilbert's Hudson's tower dwarf the Marriott Hotel and take the throne to being the tallest building in Michigan. This may cause a delay in the actual construction of the tower especially when construction will start going vertical. Why start construction on a building and don't even have the final design decided. I would like to see 900 feet but I would not be surprise if the actual height settled on is 700 plus matching the RenCen's height but not toppling it. Detroit has a history of throwing monkey wrenches in original plans
    Um... in an older article [[last summer) it stated that Gilbert was deciding to go higher than the 800 ft. that was the previous stated height... but that due to elevator configurations in the plans, they could not go higher than 912ft. Don't understand how specifically that is the limit... but I'm no engineer. So yes, they stated that 912ft. would be the max [[without a spire... remember... ).

Stasu1213... are you taking over for our dearly departed conspiracy theorist Gannon? I don't think GM can or will veto Gilbert going taller than the 727 ft. of the Renaissance Center Marriott. That's between Gilbert and the city to decide. I don't think the city has any interest in forcefully reducing the height of his tower. The city would love to have a 900+ footer.

It will be fun to watch it rise.

Can all that space; actually be leased for a profit, or a break even point ?

Dumping 900+ million dollars is relatively easy , getting it back, tough.

The Renaissance Center struggled to approach 90% occupancy,
    and actually create a profit for the initial investors, or current investors.

It's a lot like Wall Street. Media Hype, emotion, buzz, call it what you will, seems to fuel the need to go higher, be bigger, BUT actually turning a profit over the decades to recoup the initial investment seems to be a daunting task for many skyscraper investors.
    Last edited by O3H; March-20-19 at 10:02 PM.

Rumor has it that 912 is just the beginning. The skyline is indeed changing for the taller. Imagine a few years from now being able to see your house [[or neighborhood) from the Hudson's Site and more. There are so many generational
    Memories that shouldn't be forgotten from atop the Penobscot. 800 feet would be lame and Bedrock knows that the RenCen is only the beginning of how high Detroit can go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    According to Crain's, the actual height is still up in the air. I hope for a Supertall just because it would look nice on the skyline. Bedrock's website still says 912 feet.
    In case you, like me, weren't sure about the definition of a Supertall, here is how the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat [[who knew?) defines it:

Tall buildings that achieve significant heights are classed in two additional sub-groups: A “supertall” is a tall building 300 meters [[984 feet) or taller, and a “megatall” is a tall building 600 meters [[1,968 feet) or taller. As of today, there are 143 supertalls and only 3 megatalls completed globally.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    Rumor has it that 912 is just the beginning. The skyline is indeed changing for the taller. Imagine a few years from now being able to see your house [[or neighborhood) from the Hudson's Site and more. There are so many generational
    Memories that shouldn't be forgotten from atop the Penobscot. 800 feet would be lame and Bedrock knows that the RenCen is only the beginning of how high Detroit can go.
    As much as we would like to see the project gain more height, there would have to be severe design revisions for the elevator shafts and possibly other components of the design. The current elevator system in place can only be sufficient for a building of a maximum height of 912 ft from what I understand.

I'm not a professional engineer, don't take my word for it, but I heard that from someone earlier in this thread.

912 feet is fine. It will be the tallest in Michigan, and one of the tallest in the midwest, outside of Chicago. I hope we learned a lesson from the RenCen, which scooped up all the class A office space market and left a void in the rest of downtown. Prioritizing height is a vanity exercise.

I guess it bears repeating... the tower will not contain office space.... just 2 hotels, a large number of apartments and some exhibition space. So any comparison for sucking up vast amounts of office space are non-existent.

The 14 story podium part of the block next door will have some commercial space, but not a huge quantity of it... much of that portion of the complex will have other uses as well.

So comparing this building to the Renaissance Center is not quite accurate.

Page 35 of 142 FirstFirst ... 25 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 45 85 135 ... LastLast