Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 55 of 142 FirstFirst ... 5 45 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 65 105 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 3540

^That article doesn't contradict what I said. Now would be a great time for a large scale hotel especial if it's a partner with Bedrock which is mentioned in there. I don't see how any of this is a fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    What stories about the Westin? I've never heard of the Westin struggling.
    I concur... the Westin Renaissance Center was not struggling. It just so happens that when GM bought the RenCen back 20 or so years ago... one of the members of the GM board was the Chairman of Marriott Corp. And he used his influence on the GM Board of Directors to boot Westin out of the RenCen, and replace it with a Marriott Hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    ^That article doesn't contradict what I said. Now would be a great time for a large scale hotel especial if it's a partner with Bedrock which is mentioned in there. I don't see how any of this is a fantasy.
    If developers thought the market was there, they would be tripping over themselves to build more "large scale" hotels.

Obviously, even if there's a room shortage on paper, the numbers still aren't there for them to see such projects as profitable yet when accounting for the costs they would have to incur, and also the prospects of a recession approaching [[thus tightening credit).

It's the same reason why home builders aren't tripping over themselves to build a ton of houses in much of the country despite the apparent supply crunch.
    Last edited by 313WX; September-14-19 at 03:15 PM.

Detroit doesn't have the clout yet to get as 5 star hotel downtown. Get downtown, midtown, together first including the Jefferson strip from downtown to Belle Isle then Detroit could lure these 5 star chains to it. I remember what the late Tony Goldman had said when he spoke in Detroit a few years back; Detroit should not try to be a metropolis.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Detroit doesn't have the clout yet to get as 5 star hotel downtown. Get downtown, midtown, together first including the Jefferson strip from downtown to Belle Isle then Detroit could lure these 5 star chains to it. I remember what the late Tony Goldman had said when he spoke in Detroit a few years back; Detroit should not try to be a metropolis.
    I’ve got some positive news for people on this thread. Detroit’s clout IS coming back. I talk to many different people from around the country. Most of whom are in the information technology realm and they’ve got money and travel. And this one man in particular was singing Detroit’s praises and telling me about his recent visit there. So Detroit is coming back! Be encouraged. I live in Austin btw. It’s called Silicon Hills because it’s very much like Silicon Valley in CA. Every tech company is here. I was just so happy to hear an outsider say that about Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by Dmberko11 View Post
    I’ve got some positive news for people on this thread. Detroit’s clout IS coming back. I talk to many different people from around the country. Most of whom are in the information technology realm and they’ve got money and travel. And this one man in particular was singing Detroit’s praises and telling me about his recent visit there. So Detroit is coming back! Be encouraged. I live in Austin btw. It’s called Silicon Hills because it’s very much like Silicon Valley in CA. Every tech company is here. I was just so happy to hear an outsider say that about Detroit
    most people outside of the region have nice things to say about Detroit, it is people here who carry the negativity

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    If developers thought the market was there, they would be tripping over themselves to build more "large scale" hotels.

Obviously, even if there's a room shortage on paper, the numbers still aren't there for them to see such projects as profitable yet when accounting for the costs they would have to incur, and also the prospects of a recession approaching [[thus tightening credit).
    I see what you're saying but that doesn't apply to this project since it isn't just any regular developer looking for fast return. It's bedrock and they're playing the long investment game and putting up the majority of the financing. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to land a major hotel tenant.

Exactly!!! Most people I’ve spoken with, when they ask where I grew up and eventually it comes out that I’m from Detroit’s suburbs they don’t have a bad reaction. In fact it gets conversation going and positive things are usually said about the city. I was born and raised in Milford out in Oakland county. Lived in Dearborn heights off of Telegraph and Ford Rd. for a bit too. My dad was born in Detroit in ‘48. He moved as soon as he could lol. I can’t imagine why [[‘67 riots...).

Quote Originally Posted by Dmberko11 View Post
    Exactly!!! I was born and raised in Milford out in Oakland county. Lived in Dearborn heights off of Telegraph and Ford Rd. for a bit too. My dad was born in Detroit in ‘48. He moved as soon as he could lol. I can’t imagine why [[‘67 riots...).
    I was born in Royal Oak in 1972. Grew up in Ferndale and Troy. My family moved south [[Memphis area) when I was 14. But I came back to Michigan 2-3 times a year for visits. Even lived on Mackinac Island in 1993 as I worked for Mission Point Resort as a dock porter. I lived the last three years in Denver. Just this year I moved back to the Detroit area. Ended up in Madison Heights.. mainly because I adore my native SE Oakland County but I cannot comfortably afford Ferndale, Berkley, Huntington Woods, Pleasant Ridge, Royal Oak, Birmingham or Clawson. Quick sidenote.. Madison Heights and Hazel Park are all that's left on the affordability front in this corner of the county.

I travel nationwide over 100 days per year for work. I could live anywhere in the country. I chose metro Detroit. And I don't want to live anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by LeightonGeo View Post
    I was born in Royal Oak in 1972. Grew up in Ferndale and Troy. My family moved south [[Memphis area) when I was 14. But I came back to Michigan 2-3 times a year for visits. Even lived on Mackinac Island in 1993 as I worked for Mission Point Resort as a dock porter. I lived the last three years in Denver. Just this year I moved back to the Detroit area. Ended up in Madison Heights.. mainly because I adore my native SE Oakland County but I cannot comfortably afford Ferndale, Berkley, Huntington Woods, Pleasant Ridge, Royal Oak, Birmingham or Clawson. Quick sidenote.. Madison Heights and Hazel Park are all that's left on the affordability front in this corner of the county.

I travel nationwide over 100 days per year for work. I could live anywhere in the country. I chose metro Detroit. And I don't want to live anywhere else.
    Thanks for sharing! Metro Detroit still feels like home every time I go back. I may have to buy real estate there one of these days while it's still cheap [[compared to elsewhere in the country).

That's pretty unique that you lived on Mackinac Island. Only got to visit as a toddler, crossing over on the fairy. I love Michigan. Up north is truly beautiful and so refereshing and southeast Michigan has everything you want in a metro area with a nice airport and now a resurgent downtown Detroit. Now if only the Detroit sports teams were to turn around, lol. Lions gave us a very Lion-esque win today. Can't beat that!

This is veering wildly off-topic, but I think people from the area are more "cynical" about Detroit because we are more aware of the real problems in the region. Lack of transit, issues with the education system, high auto insurance, crime, an auto-dependent economy, etc. Outsiders get to read nice fuzzy stories from the New York Times about new restaurants once or twice a year and maybe visit to see the highlights, but that isn't reality.

There's a lot to be excited about in Detroit, including the possibility of the tallest building in Michigan, but we're also still trying to recover from deep economic, racial and infrastructure issues from over 70 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    This is veering wildly off-topic, but I think people from the area are more "cynical" about Detroit because we are more aware of the real problems in the region. Lack of transit, issues with the education system, high auto insurance, crime, an auto-dependent economy, etc. Outsiders get to read nice fuzzy stories from the New York Times about new restaurants once or twice a year and maybe visit to see the highlights, but that isn't reality.

There's a lot to be excited about in Detroit, including the possibility of the tallest building in Michigan, but we're also still trying to recover from deep economic, racial and infrastructure issues from over 70 years ago.
    Well put...

I’m painfully aware of all this. Got it inculcated into my brain from very young when I started asking my dad about where he grew up and why he didn’t talk about it. Detroit needs to move on and start a new chapter. Can’t live in the past forever and dwell in its ashes. It’s time to move on already. Alright, tangent over. I took us there because someone mentioned Detroit didn’t have the clout to land a high-end hotel for Hudson’s and I made mention that the city’s image has slowly been changing and has been significantly repaired.

I love Detroit as much as anyone and had always spoken of the great potential thar the city has. Hearing about new developments and the timeline to which they will be completed make me cynical. I had been right so far. I grew up 8n Detroit and know that going outside the downtown midtown inner ring Detroit need a lot of work to be done. Schools, roads, safety issues, grocery and retail need much improving and had been overlooked by outsiders and those who live in the downtown midtown area. Corrupt contractors are not making 8t better for potential developers who could build in the city and make it much better

Interesting article about why some new/renovation in Detroit is going Hotel instead of Residential... mentions why it is much easier to build new hotels than new residential... and specifically mentions why MSC [[Ford) and Hudson's Tower [[Gilbert) have an easier time getting financing for hotel space than Condo/Apartment space, and why they are headed in that direction.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...ls/2310415001/
    Last edited by Gistok; September-16-19 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Interesting article about why some new/renovation in Detroit is going Hotel instead of Residential... mentions why it is much easier to build new hotels than new residential... and specifically mentions why MSC [[Ford) and Hudson's Tower [[Gilbert) have an easier time getting financing for hotel space than Condo/Apartment space, and why they are headed in that direction.
    Hotel article

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...ls/2310415001/

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Yeah thanks.... I thought I was copy/pasting the link you posted... but the Motown link was still copied on my computer....

Another reason why I think the hotel concept for downtown had been the plan now is for unlike apartments, hotels dont have to have a percentage of section 8 people as guest or residents

So, what's going on at the southwest corner of the site? I thought maybe a tower crane, but the ones currently filed don't show one on that corner. But this is definitely a new thing being done behind the tub wall.

They're probably just "moving dirt around." Kidding.

Maybe they're connecting power/sewer?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Another reason why I think the hotel concept for downtown had been the plan now is for unlike apartments, hotels dont have to have a percentage of section 8 people as guest or residents
    They rolled that requirement into City Modern so that the tower could remain upscale.

They're probably just "moving dirt around." Kidding.

Maybe they're connecting power/sewer?
    I'm always hopeful that unexplained things are for cranes, but I honestly have no idea. I'll be downtown tomorrow, I may try to get a closer look.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I'm always hopeful that unexplained things are for cranes, but I honestly have no idea. I'll be downtown tomorrow, I may try to get a closer look.
    Good luck. The only way you can see into the site is from a neighboring building, and the only one nearby open to the public with a view is the Z Garage. It’s hard to see or photograph details of anything in the site from there.

Quote Originally Posted by NSortzi View Post
    Good luck. The only way you can see into the site is from a neighboring building, and the only one nearby open to the public with a view is the Z Garage. It’s hard to see or photograph details of anything in the site from there.
    Based on his pics, 48307 works in One Campus Martius, probably with QL.

Quote Originally Posted by NSortzi View Post
    The view into that pit from the People Mover is actually quite amazing. But it's quick. I recommend taking a $.75 ride on the loop and getting some video. Maybe even slow motion. Then review the footage after the fact.

Page 55 of 142 FirstFirst ... 5 45 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 65 105 ... LastLast