Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 56 of 142 FirstFirst ... 6 46 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 66 106 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 3540

Quote Originally Posted by MrMichigan View Post
    Based on his pics, 48307 works in One Campus Martius, probably with QL.
    I can neither confirm nor deny either of your accusations

But I can supply you with this picture:

Name:  IMG_20190919_101501564.jpg
Views: 3577
Size:  153.4 KB

Looks like the site they were drilling and filling near the center of the pit, today, is the foundation for one of the tower cranes?

It'd make sense given that they recently filed the obstruction evaluations with the FAA.
    Last edited by Dexlin; September-20-19 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Looks like the site they were drilling and filling near the center of the pit, today, is the foundation for one of the tower cranes?

It'd make sense given that they recently filed the obstruction evaluations with the FAA.

Could be.

Either way, they still have a ton of drilling equipment in the hole. Once that is cleared out, the other buried piles are dug back up, and the ramp along Woodward starts to go away... then I will feel like they have moved onto the next stage. Still a ways to go...

They were 75% done with drilling work in the second week of August, so I don't think it's much longer, at all. They are very close to vertical construction on the block, as in it should start next month at the latest. The ramp will be down there while they are building the crane, of course. Perhaps the digging they've begun at the southwest corner is an access point for when they get rid of the ramp.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's obvious by change that they are already ramping up and preparing for the next phase of construction.
    Last edited by Dexlin; September-20-19 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    They were 75% done with drilling work in the second week of August, so I don't think it's much longer, at all. They are very close to vertical construction on the block, as in it should start next month at the latest. The ramp will be down there while they are building the crane, of course. Perhaps the digging they've begun at the southwest corner is an access point for when they get rid of the ramp.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's obvious by change that they are already ramping up and preparing for the next phase of construction.
    I don't know if I would count on vertical construction next month. The two crane permits say Nov 1 and Dec 1. Given how this project has been progressing, I think we should consider ourselves lucky if we get one tower crane built before Christmas.

Does anyone know at what point they build the lower floors? Is that done later, or in order [[sub2, sub1, ground floor, 2, etc.)?

Has anyone noticed a really bad odor coming from the Hudson's site? It smells like sulfur or sewage, all day long. Particularly on Gratiot between Woodward and Farmer.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Has anyone noticed a really bad odor coming from the Hudson's site? It smells like sulfur or sewage, all day long. Particularly on Gratiot between Woodward and Farmer.
    Yes, I have most defiantly noticed the smell. I was thinking that they might have accidentally hit something, but its been like that for a little while now.

Quote Originally Posted by angry_fred View Post
    I don't know if I would count on vertical construction next month. The two crane permits say Nov 1 and Dec 1. Given how this project has been progressing, I think we should consider ourselves lucky if we get one tower crane built before Christmas.
    They are also still covering all the caissons with earth after the drilling and concrete is poured. If the intention was to build on top of them soon, why bother with the effort to continue covering their tops underground?

Perhaps they are connecting to sewer in the SW corner causing the smell?

The site has stunk all summer. The bottom floor of the previous garage used to have the same awful smell, so I assume it has something to do with that site

Watched the YouTube video from September 30 and when they completed drilling a very large caisson in the afternoon, installed a large rebar cage and then filled it with cement from 12 transit mix trucks. That is probably about 120 yards of cement and the top of the new cement could not be seen from this video. Maybe they pour more cement on top when they are closer to vertical construction.

Maybe the announcement that the height will be scaled back is just a ruse and they will now build a 1000' tower, now wouldn't that be a surprise and I'm all for it!
    Last edited by bigboat; October-01-19 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboat View Post
    installed a large rebar cage and then filled it with cement from 12 transit mix trucks. That is probably about 120 yards of cement and the top of the new cement could not be seen from this video.
    Costly and significant work, even if we can't see the results. As I've continued to contend, and as backed by my own observations and timelapse photography, the progress is very real and occurs daily.

48307 - I agree, there is progress being made, but ever so slowly. I would hope they would have some sort of clue as to what the tower will be by now, but have not heard anything.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboat View Post
    I would hope they would have some sort of clue as to what the tower will be by now, but have not heard anything.
    That does worry me. I would like the project details to be a lot more firm at this stage. I just really hope we get something really tall and that it's wildly successful, it would pave the way for more development.

Maybe Bedrock could use some inspiration from this youtube,, Top 10 tallest buildings going up in Canada.. [[ see link below ) , mostly in Toronto...luckily there, when they dig a hole for two years, they have an idea what their going to build when they start , and most importantly, have the financing in place before they carry-on with all the hoopla about it. I realize Detroit is a different market, however it’s always good to know what you’re doing , and how you’re going to build it and exactly what it is going to look like..., before you carry-on about a project that gets the whole metropolitan area excited. Good luck to bedrock on this, they’ve done great things for us downtown, and need to be thanked, hopefully they can continue on the Hudson side project. Keeping fingers crossed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w2tQQN7ELos

Love @DetBill

Gotta love the permits

Here it is at the middle of October 2019, observation of YouTube video is yes they are drilling large caisson holes, installing a rebar cage and then dumping at least 120 yards of cement into the hole in the tower area. Was also wondering if anyone has seen/heard anything about the final design decision from the Bedrock boys. I think that redesign has been under wraps for awhile and something had to be known this past spring. I would think they should have some decisions made as to just what they are building and out of fairness to the public should announce something soon. Hopefully, they have been able to encourage some hotel to become part of this even if we are known as the most violent city in the US.

^ thanks for bumping the thread with zero new information.

Interestingly, went by the construction site today, and there are the usual 5 to 10 workers working away in and around “ the hole “. I contacted the Hudsons site.com website last week and asked if there was any information on the plans, size, appearance for the site, and have yet to receive any reply. Amusingly, I just watched a special on the building of the 102 story Empire State building in New York City. Construction was started in March 1930, and the building officially opened in May 1931.Boy, did they know how to build skyscrapers in those days. Keeping fingers crossed.

It's not exactly apples to apples, as five people died building the Empire State Building. Construction was a lot faster in the 30s and 40s because there were almost no safety laws or worker protections. Plus, building codes were more lax, and the use of concrete in building cores nowadays takes longer to cure than a traditional steel structure like the ESB.

Watched the You Tube video from yesterday [[10/22) and they have delivered two yellow crane bases to the site, so I think it can be said progress is being made, but ever so slowly. They also made another excavation in the middle that is very slab sided and I think there is a caisson in the middle of it.
    Last edited by bigboat; October-23-19 at 04:45 AM.

Yeah, they haven't done anything like that excavation in the middle before. I believe the crane permit starts in November, so they'll probably start cementing the base in, like they did at the 1 Campus Martius expansion.

Does anyone know if the crane will be within the footprint of the building or outside the footprint?

I'm very excited!

Page 56 of 142 FirstFirst ... 6 46 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 66 106 ... LastLast