Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 133 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Hudson's Site Building Thread

UPDATE OF UPDATE OF UPDATE--January 29, 2020 04:39 PM: Hudson's site tower will not be tallest in Michigan after all, CEO for Gilbert's Bedrock says.

Envisioned at one point to be up to 912 feet tall, the development on the site of the former J.L. Hudson's department store in downtown Detroit isn't going to top the 727-foot Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center on the Detroit riverfront, said Matt Cullen, CEO of Dan Gilbert's Bedrock LLC real estate company. The RenCen hotel is the tallest building in the state.

"It will not be the tallest," Cullen said of the Hudson's tower in response to a question from the Detroit Free Press. He said a determination will be made by June on the precise height as well as a hotel operator.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...s-bedrock-says

UPDATE OF UPDATE: Project grows to 912 feet. New renderings released. Jump to latest discussion of this change >>
    Name:  HudsonsRenderings-04_i.jpg
Views: 10060
Size:  36.2 KB

[Previous] UPDATE: Final Rendering - Ground-breaking takes place Dec. 14, 2017.

Finalized Design Rendering seen from the south. Jump to Ground Breaking. >>

They rendered in a Uniqlo Store. That would be awesome!

at 734 feet tall it's about 8 feet or so taller than the roof of the Ren Cen

Last edited by SpartanDawg; February-22-17 at 04:28 PM.

8ft? Really man? lol Couldn't hit at least like the 800ft plateau? Either way, bout time we say this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    8ft? Really man? lol Couldn't hit at least like the 800ft plateau? Either way, bout time we say this.
    haha. ren cen roof is listed at 727 feet, this roof is going to be 734 feet. Although I guess the 'antenna' of the ren cen is about 750 feet so it won't be taken without controversy. i think roof height is a better judge since the antennas on top of the ren cen aren't really prominent like on the penobscot or 1 world trade center.

regardless i'm super excited. 52 floors. the tower will be all rental residential. the base of the building includes 4 floors of office space, meeting/event space, and first two floors of building are retail

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    regardless i'm super excited. 52 floors. the tower will be all rental residential. the base of the building includes 4 floors of office space, meeting/event space, and first two floors of building are retail
    is 250 residential units still the number?

the render appears to show the building plinth at the same height of one campus maritus...so there must be a number of parking levels above the retail floors but beneath the office floors.
    Last edited by hybridy; February-22-17 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    is 250 residential units still the number?

the render appears to show the building plinth at the same height of one campus maritus...so there must be a number of parking levels above the retail floors but beneath the office floors.

original number was 250 units, 50 being affordable

new number released today was 200 rental units. bedrock is skirting the affordable option requirement in buildings getting incentives by just adding more 'affordable' housing in other properties they own.

hudsons will be [[very likely) 200 market rate rentals

hmm. So what would residential rent be at this place-- $2500 minimum?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    hmm. So what would residential rent be at this place-- $2500 minimum?
    Plus a few bucks for QL trip to Comerica for a Tigers game or LCA for Wings/Pistons.

For someone with the bucks, who happens to work downtown, and loves sports, Heaven On Earth.
    Last edited by emu steve; February-24-17 at 09:45 AM.

Wow. That is a crap ton of new residential coming online if this comes to fruition.

Just need those tax credits approved now to move forward with this.

This is great news, plus Senate passed the brownfield bill today.

That tower looks like a pretty skinny tower.

Changing the skyline...I guess my little birdie from two years ago was correct with this statement. Plans significantly changed after the purchase of the garage , allowing them to modify instead of only 16 stories with the existing steel.

Lots of other residential still under construction and yet Freep had an article on the weekend that occupancy may be reaching the saturation point, as waiting lists are being replaced by incentives.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMichigan View Post
    thanks MrMichigan

The proposed 52-story building is estimated to include:
    250 residential units totaling 441,500 gross square feet
    • A nine-story podium comprised of 733,823 gross square feet of mixed use,commercial, office, technology, arts and culture space
    • Three stories below grade featuring additional commercial space on one level with 700 parking spaces on the other two levels

We plan to break ground by December 1, 2017.
    Last edited by hybridy; February-22-17 at 04:21 PM.

I'm impressed that they are so thoughtful and respectful of Hudson's and the building. It would be so easy to throw away history, like so many do, but they understand what this location meant to millions of people and how it brought people together back then and they want to build off of that, no pun intended. Good on them!

I think between this and City Modern you are seeing Gilbert trying to push design in this city again like it hasn't been in a long time. The fact that on the website they mention the UNESCO designation is another indicator of this. Now that Detroit is going "vertical" I think you are going to see this level of quality in other places like the Monroe Block and riverfront. It's a pretty exciting time if you are a fan of modern architecture.

Calltoaction Guest

It's the perfect height, not too tall to overpower the skyline but tall enough to make it's mark.
    Last edited by Calltoaction; February-22-17 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calltoaction View Post
    It's the perfect height, not too tall to overpower the skyline but tall enough to make it's mark.
    I guess it is different opinions that make the world go round, but I say the tower is overwhelming, better left for Chicago or NY but not in the Woodwad area.

An economic impact study from New York based WSP-Parsons Brinkerhoff estimates the Hudson’s development, which is projected to attract three million unique visitors per year, will:

• Create more than 5,800 direct and indirect jobs and $1.5 billion in new economic output during the construction of the project
    • Generate $230 million in direct annual spending and support 3,000 direct jobs once the project is completed
    • Generate $560 million per year in economic output, or nearly $6 billion in totaleconomic output over 10 years
    Last edited by hybridy; February-22-17 at 04:37 PM.

didnt notice it before but if you look at the top post of the renderings there is an apple store and a uniqlo store rendered in! i'm sure nothing is final but that's cool to see

I see similarity between the tower and the Washington Monument. Anyone else see it?

The link provided above has some incredible information and the renderings are very high quality. Excited to see this come to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    I see similarity between the tower and the Washington Monument. Anyone else see it?

The link provided above has some incredible information and the renderings are very high quality. Excited to see this come to fruition.
    YES!!! No Doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post

I see Isamu Noguchi's Hart Plaza Pylon

Name:  Hart Plaza Pylon.jpg
Views: 3899
Size:  38.5 KB

Will these be the most expensive rentals in the city?

If that gets built... THAT ... IS ... AWESOME !

Page 1 of 133 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 51 101 ... LastLast