Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default RIP George "The Animal" Steele

My friend, Jim Myers, was born right here in Detroit and went to HS in Mad-Heights. They named the field after him a few years ago. He used to say that the grapplers in his day were much tougher than today's wrestlers because of the travel schedule. No jets flying people everywhere. It was a constant road trip in whatever car you could find. Such a nice man.

http://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/1...steele-dies-79

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2017/02/...l-steele-dies/

Sad to hear this. As kids we ran into him at Sunday brunch at the Hyatt Regency. He was very nice, autographed our napkins, spent several minutes talking to us. Couldn't believe he was "normal" in real life! I mean, I knew wresting was fake, but George Steele was THE ANIMAL! He was a great and charismatic performer, understood how to work a crowd, and alternately scare & delight them. Wonderful entertainer. Had his life taken a different course, he could have been a good actor [[in the traditional sense). RIP, Animal. Condolences to family & friends [[including you, Lostlegumes). Thanks for the memories.

Before Jim Myers became 'George Steele' or 'George The Animal Steele' he worked as the 'The Student' using a mask in the Detroit territory. Playboy Gary Hart was his manager back in the mid-60's. During those days the promoter Bert Ruby had his offices in the Eddystone Hotel.
    Last edited by IrishSpartan; February-18-17 at 12:38 PM.

I knew he was a teacher, but I did not know he was from the area. Shame on the Detroit Almanac for not making mention of him. I still won't forget the image in a Mad Magazine that showed him "saying grace" before gnawing into a turnbuckle.

My condolences to family and friends.

Default James Meyers debuted under a mask, in Detroit, wrestling as “The Student”

"The Animal" is shown in the Detroit-Big Time Wrestling image as "The Student".

Name:  animalsteele.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  23.7 KB
    Name:  amimal-1.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  30.0 KB
    Name:  animal-2.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  157.7 KB

rest in peace. Very entertaining when I was a kid. Didn't know about the local connections.

George/Jim left us a rather cool little video autobiography. It's an hour long so unless you're a fan of wrestling bios and stories [[I am) it might not be must see TV but I liked the idea and it was cool to hear him tell his own story in his own voice. Also - do not forget he gave a great traditional acting performance as Tor Johnson in the wonderful Time Burton/Johnny Depp film Ed Wood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcc1BNir33A