Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Winter storm watch?

I just checked the weather forecast and was shocked to see that they are calling for 6 or more inches of snow [[Northern suburbs) tomorrow evening! They say Detroit and areas South of Ann Arbor can expect 2-4". Hopefully the road crews still have their plows and salt equipment ready. Might be interesting.

None here.

It looks like we're supposed to get the snow late tonight and early tomorrow morning. Between the people driving as if they've never been on a snowy road and the others driving without adjusting for road conditions, I'm sure the morning commute will be lovely.

And then the phone calls: "is the school open?", "are there classes today?" "can you tell my teacher that I'm running late?". Oh well, at least I'll enjoy the rest of today!

It's April. It's Michigan. Yes, it might snow.
    Now, the local news media have some innocuous chatter to add to the NCAA Tournament coverage.

i think i was getting used to the 50's and now i see that all this week we will be colder than that. the snow forecast is kinda a shocker.

I thought for sure we were done with snow

My boots are put away, it better not snow!!!

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eriedearie View Post
    My boots are put away, it better not snow!!!
    Erie! If we receive this snow, it's all on you! Never put away your boots until late May! *hug*

The worst snowstorm in Detroit history came in early April, 1886, and dumped 24.5 inches of the white stuff on the city. Accompanying winds caused drifts up to 12 feet high in some places. The second worst storm in 1974 brought us a mere 19.2 inches.

The Detroit News editions of April 6, 1886, reported that "Snow began at 12:30 a.m. and fell light until about 4 a.m., when it began to fall heavy . . . a tremendous fall of snow continued all day, ending at 9 p.m.

"The fall at 7 a.m. was 4.6 inches and at 3 p.m. was 17.1 inches and at 11 p.m. 24 inches, making a total of 24.5 inches fall of unmelted snow.

"The rain gauge was soon snowed full and was practically useless.
    "The drifts in some places were 12 feet high and the snow in the streets was from 10 to 40 inches deep. Source

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Just upgraded to a Winter Storm Warning.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Erie! If we receive this snow, it's all on you! Never put away your boots until late May! *hug*
    Yep! I'll take the blame on this one...I shoulda never have done that! - I do need a *hug* for that!!! LOL

I remember the Ice storm in April of 2003, my power was out for five days. And to hear the trees crashing was amazing.

I have to reply, to upload this pic.

Attachment 348
    Last edited by Bigb23; April-07-09 at 08:10 PM.

After the MSU game tomorrow, maybe the Spartan students can burn a few couches to stay warm!

Okay - you get an "A" for a member name.

6" - 9" of snow in my area tonight ? Damn, I thought my snow blower was done for the season.

As of 23:27, Marine City, 37 degrees, light rain.
    Last edited by Sailor Rick; April-05-09 at 10:29 PM. Reason: spelling

not gonna happen.

Funny, I stepped outside as the snow was falling, and you could hear the frogs going at it, "hot and heavy".

At 11PM I left Dearborn with my car covered with snow. There was snow on the grass and slush in the streets.

At 12:45 AM it was still only raining in St. Clair Shores... no snow on the car [[yet).

They are even calling for snow showers down here. NC mountains [[40 miles away) they are calling for 4-6 inches 3,000 feet and above.

It is now 3:00 AM and north of Clarkston has 4 inches of snow.

OMG , can't get outta the driveway

Winter is back with a vengence.