Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The Kibitzer Bar

The KIBITZER Bar was located at 3527 Cass in Detroit. It had a pool table and was popular with the local Cass Corridor crowd and others in the 1970s. Does anyone remember going to this bar? What years did it operate? Does anyone have any photos of the bar?

There was a big time CPA who woked downtown names Walter. A rough and tumble guy after hours he would pound many and recruit bar buddies and his bartender [[many times me) to go on what her referred to as the "ghetto tour", I was not unfamilar with the Cass corridor and many watering holes but the KIBITZER was truly in retrospect one of the more dangerous places. There was another place on 2nd south of MLK in the apartment bldg next to Fred's Key shop that was sort of an annex to the building, a couple of steps down that was a true pit. In many of these joints I refused to drink anything but a beer uncapped before my eyes directly out of the bottle. Glassware wasnt a sanitary option. Ditto for the place on Charlotte west of Cass....

There was on place that was a delight...Buddy and Jimmie's on Cass and Parson's [[SE corner) One of the old mansions turned speakeasy. Purchased by husband and wife team, Buddy and Jimmie, who were vaudevillians stranded in Detroit when Loew's vaudeville cut the shows at the old Colonial Theatre they held forth until the mid 1970's. Old pianist played great saloon music, they poured mean drinks and served a decent steak. Both died within months of each other ending the longest running act in Detroit...The fewemployees tried to run the place mut the mystique was gone and it closed and I understand bulldozed with everything intact...turned into a much uunneeded parking lot during that period.
    Last edited by detroitbob; February-08-17 at 11:01 PM.