Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Valenti & Foster

I was listening to Valenti and Foster on the way to work yesterday, and a listener called in and stated that he moved from the suburbs to the city of Detroit in 2012, right when his children started school. The caller was ranting and raving about how he hated Detroit and was going to move out of the state of Michigan as soon as son entered high school. He also stated that his son said "grannys neighborhood looks like call of duty". He did state that he bought a house in the city and sold it for 6X what he paid for it. The amount of venom and hate he had for the city he claims he was born and raised in was hurtful and surprising. I was born and raised in the city of Detroit and I have been living in a border suburb for almost 20 years, and I love the city of Detroit and want to see it do well. Is this guy and outliner? Or do most native Detroiters have these sentiments?

If he moved from the suburbs to Detroit and put his kid in DPS as he entered school, he's either lying or stupid.

The IQ of people who call into talk radio has got to be in the single digits.

Although I don't think it is most people, you certainly have quite a few people out there who invested much of themselves in Detroit, only to feel burned by the years of constant decline and municipal corruption. If you were encouraged in the 70s & 80s to "stick it out" in the city, only to see all the problems get worse... well that really had to burn a lot of people, black and white, young and old. My family is ancestrally from the city, but most people in my generation in my family were raised in the suburbs. When my one uncle retired & moved away from the city in the 90s, his lovely home of 40 years was nearly worthless. Doing "the right thing" by staying through so many rough years, keeping up his home, staying involved in his church and high school and college [[all in the city) nearly cost him his retirement. I think he felt used and betrayed. He's mellowed a bit now, but boy did he have anger at the city back in the day. So I think it is understandable. Not necessarily saying justifiable, but an understandable human emotion. BTW, several cousins and myself have moved back to the city, so the family's relationship with the city continues.

This thread should be re-named. The title has almost nothing to do with the subject matter. I thought it was going to be your typical "Mike Valenti is a ________" rant.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    This thread should be re-named. The title has almost nothing to do with the subject matter. I thought it was going to be your typical "Mike Valenti is a ________" rant.
    Came here to post the same thing; thought it was going to be good news, like they canned him.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Came here to post the same thing; thought it was going to be good news, like they canned him.
    Wouldn't that be nice. It's the 'Mike Valenti hates all things Metro Detroit radio show with Terry Foster'

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    He gets major ratings. He won't be going anywhere, anytime soon, unless he puts his foot in his mouth, and they have to fire him for ethics.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; February-11-17 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Wouldn't that be nice. It's the 'Mike Valenti hates all things Metro Detroit radio show with Terry Foster'
    Valenti is the only reason I listen to the station, everyone else on 97.1 is a homer, at least Valenti tells it like it is. As Cincinnati_Kid stated, he gets the majority of the ratings for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    Valenti is the only reason I listen to the station, everyone else on 97.1 is a homer, at least Valenti tells it like it is. As Cincinnati_Kid stated, he gets the majority of the ratings for a reason.
    He gets ratings no argument there. Go figure, he peddles hate in a metro area chock full of it that can never have enough. We're opposites on 97.1, I listen to the other shows and enjoy them. Turn the dial on him. To much anger. It has lost its entertainment value to me when it's everyday screaming and insulting individuals or groups of people on the radio. It's a free country pick your preferences and enjoy. I don't knock people's tastes in entertainment just because there not mine. I like Dave and Chuck the Freak but they are certainly not for everyone.

He gets ratings no argument there. Go figure, he peddles hate in a metro area chock full of it that can never have enough. We're opposites on 97.1, I listen to the other shows and enjoy them. Turn the dial on him. To much anger. It has lost its entertainment value to me when it's everyday screaming and insulting individuals or groups of people on the radio. It's a free country pick your preferences and enjoy. I don't knock people's tastes in entertainment just because there not mine. I like Dave and Chuck the Freak but they are certainly not for everyone.
    I listen to 97.1 until 2, turn it off and if I'm in the car usually turn it back on at 6. I can't stand listening to that asshat rant and rave constantly

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    Yeah, he's like the "Charles Barkley" of sports talk radio.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Although I don't think it is most people, you certainly have quite a few people out there who invested much of themselves in Detroit, only to feel burned by the years of constant decline and municipal corruption. If you were encouraged in the 70s & 80s to "stick it out" in the city, only to see all the problems get worse... well that really had to burn a lot of people, black and white, young and old. My family is ancestrally from the city, but most people in my generation in my family were raised in the suburbs. When my one uncle retired & moved away from the city in the 90s, his lovely home of 40 years was nearly worthless. Doing "the right thing" by staying through so many rough years, keeping up his home, staying involved in his church and high school and college [[all in the city) nearly cost him his retirement. I think he felt used and betrayed. He's mellowed a bit now, but boy did he have anger at the city back in the day. So I think it is understandable. Not necessarily saying justifiable, but an understandable human emotion. BTW, several cousins and myself have moved back to the city, so the family's relationship with the city continues.
    I agree with you,, lots of anger but we must move forward, cant worry about the snow storm last winter.. i myself have lived in the city for 23 years, I have bought 4 residences over time and lost money on the first three each time I sold ,but always loved living in the city proper downtown.... so just accepted it as reality.... I always figured I threw away more money on depreciation on any car I bought in three years and I got to work in 5 minutes walking which saved a bundle. .. Now, my 4th property has almost tripled in value in four years. Still loving living downtown and its gotten materially better.. I figured I could always add to some stability in the city too and have great neighbors and a very active social life here. I have experienced zero crime issues here in 23 years as I always tried to find residences that kept myself and the car safe. It luckily worked. If one gets burned big time its hard for most to erase, so their feelings are understandable.

^^ You should consider yourself blessed & lucky. That hasn't been the case, for a lot of people.

I actually like Dave and Chuck the freak too... although I haven't listened to them in awhile because there was a string of shows around fart jokes that got old after awhile. I do listen to Karsh and Anderson on occasion for 97.1, but sometimes they are just sooooo boring, and have horrible topics, that I just kind of tune out. It is not so much Valenti's negativity, but I think appreciate his energy he brings. Who knows, to each their own.