Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Coach Insignia Getting Kicked Out - New "World Class" Restaurant to Replace it

This seems like a bizarre move considering no replacement has been offered. I can only guess that the GM top floors got bored with their meat heavy menu. I never found it that exciting even when I ate meat. But they have affordable happy hours specials and drinks that made that a fun option. You might want to try it before Feb. 18 closing.

"Riverfront Holdings, Inc. will seek to bring a world-class restaurant to the 71st and 72nd floors of the GM RENCEN, when Coach Insignia’s lease expires on February 28, 2017," said a statement from the building's owner, a subsidiary of General Motors.

The upscale chophouse that has occupied the space since 2004 will close to the public February 18th.

http://www.freep.com/story/entertain...ncen/97293192/

It was pretty cool for me back when it opened. A friend had a bachelor party there [[obviously he wanted things low key), we went for drinks a couple times, and it was a good 'fancy date night'. But haven't been back in years and it seems that they've kept it pretty much exactly the same. It's been open for around 13 years I think, which is forever in the restaurant business. Just seems like maybe it got a little long in the tooth, which probably isn't what you want from a place that is literally one of a kind.

Hopefully it is replaced with a truly world class restaurant and reputable chef. It seems Detroit has managed to pluck some great chef's from other cities lately and maybe we can look forward to another.

Seems like yesterday we had a thread about this place opening and whether it would revolve like the original.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Seems like yesterday we had a thread about this place opening and whether it would revolve like the original.
    Why doesn't it revolve anymore? Too much to maintain the mechanical systems?

i only went there for drinks on games days to show out of town guests the view. the space needs cosmetic updating, and i assume epicurean and the landlord couldn't come to an agreement that included reno + lease costs. epicurean also closed down 'lakes' [[last year) which filled the old charley's crab space at the former northfield hilton [[now shuttered met hotel) in troy.

gm is sticking a lot of money into other public spaces in the ren cen, i'm not surprised they want a higher end tenant to fill a prime space.
    Last edited by hybridy; February-01-17 at 04:59 PM.

One of the last properties in the once-mighty MPRG. Now, aside from a few specialty ethnic eateries, they're down to Novi Chophouse? And it only took almost 15 years to get here.

Fact is, Epicurean was trying to do surf and turf at the worst possible time to do a steakhouse. Where those corporate accounts might have put them over the top a decade ago, all that's gone.

Truth is, they'll probably make a lot more money having small plates and a revamped bar. Any wise owner would refit the place and turn the restaurant level around to face Detroit, not Canada. That was such a 1990s idea.

Now, you watch: In 10 years, it'll be a hip throwback to have a steakhouse, and only a few places will be ready to capitalize on it: Weber's, Mr. Paul's, Clawson.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    One of the last properties in the once-mighty MPRG. Now, aside from a few specialty ethnic eateries, they're down to Novi Chophouse? And it only took almost 15 years to get here.

Fact is, Epicurean was trying to do surf and turf at the worst possible time to do a steakhouse. Where those corporate accounts might have put them over the top a decade ago, all that's gone.

Truth is, they'll probably make a lot more money having small plates and a revamped bar. Any wise owner would refit the place and turn the restaurant level around to face Detroit, not Canada. That was such a 1990s idea.

Now, you watch: In 10 years, it'll be a hip throwback to have a steakhouse, and only a few places will be ready to capitalize on it: Weber's, Mr. Paul's, Clawson.
    Anyone remember the name of the place prior to Coach Insignia?

Quote Originally Posted by clubboss View Post
    Anyone remember the name of the place prior to Coach Insignia?
    The Summit. Fond childhood memories. Though they are all from before I knew anything about food.

The best thing about that place was the rotating floor and the view. Unless they have a very good reason not to they need to bring the rotating floor back.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    The Summit. Fond childhood memories. Though they are all from before I knew anything about food.

The best thing about that place was the rotating floor and the view. Unless they have a very good reason not to they need to bring the rotating floor back.
    Sorry, just one more question, would you know if The Summit the original restaurant to open in that spot? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clubboss View Post
    Sorry, just one more question, would you know if The Summit the original restaurant to open in that spot? thanks
    I think so but I"m not old enough to say for sure. My earliest memories of The Summit are from around 1980 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    I think so but I"m not old enough to say for sure. My earliest memories of The Summit are from around 1980 or so.
    1980 is good, thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Why doesn't it revolve anymore? Too much to maintain the mechanical systems?
    When they originally built it they didn't leave enough room under the floor to maintain the rotating gears etc. _Ideally there would be a 1/4 floor of access space). So eventually it got to the point that they either had to spend mega bucks to gut the restaurant, remove the floor and re-do it,.... or just turn it off.

I haven't eaten there since it stopped rotating. Going downtown,.. especially the Rec Cen is just too much time, effort and cost. Though a friend did work for the company that owns it,.. and i love a great steak.

I may have to swing in for lunch before it's gone.

I remember going to the Summit a couple of nights after the Ren Cen opened in 1977. I was just short of 18, but no one asked anything as I and my high school girlfriend and my sister and her boyfriend [[who were even younger) all sat down for cocktails. The price was a little rich for my gas station earnings, but it was so thrilling to suddenly be so far above a city that had never had a building taller than 45 stories before. As the sun set you could see Lake St. Clair spreading out in shining gold, down the river past the flames of Zug Island all the way out to Lake Erie, and a big spot of white out towards the horizon that was the then very new, and recently renamed, Silverdome.

A combination of a couple of drinks in stomachs still unused to liquor and the odd feeling of a revolving room did leave us all slightly queasy though and we soon got out of there before there was a disaster on the brand new banquette. One of my most vivid memories is going to the bathroom and coming out to find that my table had disappeared from where I had left it. The disorientation of that moment [[and the martinis no doubt) made my head spin for a few weird seconds.

Dined at Coach Insignia about a half dozen times over the years. Outstanding each time. It has been an exception to the usual rule that the food at restaurants at the top of buildings will suck. Sad to see it go.

Anyway, it's a fantastic space and I hope GM finds an operator that can produce a food experience to match the view. Won't be easy.

Best thing about drinks at the Summit was getting to keep the fancy glass. I still have a couple with "World's tallest hotel" on them.

Coach Insignia was nice, but not a destination worthy of the hassle of going to Fort RenCen. Whatever ends up there seems to be an OK restaurant whose main feature is the fact that they are way up high in a tall building. That alone will not sustain a restaurant. I agree with sirrealone: 13 years is an eternity in the restaurant business.

Not getting "kicked out," their lease is coming up, after which they have no right to be there.

They can't leave soon enough.

Given we have a Hopcat, Jolly Pumpkin etc now in Detroit - it could become a Twin Peaks destination, playing off the highrise/view/mountain top.

I read recently the Twin Peaks at 14 Mile/75 is their fourth best performing restaurant/store in the country. Get that $ downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    They can't leave soon enough.

Given we have a Hopcat, Jolly Pumpkin etc now in Detroit - it could become a Twin Peaks destination, playing off the highrise/view/mountain top.

I read recently the Twin Peaks at 14 Mile/75 is their fourth best performing restaurant/store in the country. Get that $ downtown.
    Nice...moving on up from world class dining to a Titty Bar!

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    it could become a Twin Peaks destination, playing off the highrise/view/mountain top.

are you suggesting the top of the ren cen an ideal space for the crowd that engages in biker gang shootouts?
    Last edited by hybridy; February-03-17 at 06:59 PM.