Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Comerica closing Fort St Banking Center + more branches

Nice spin their PR pushed out to Crains, though a prime space for redevelopment in Gilbert territory.

- W grand branch bulldozed. replace by atms - likely consolidated with fisher branch into 3rd & grand apts
    - Fort St center closed..maybe replaced by retail branch in district Detroit
    - Fort Military branch bulldozed for bridge

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...t-st/97244140/

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...pe-presence-in
    Comerica Bank plans to reshape its presence in and around downtown Detroit as part of a $3 million investment in the area.The bank said Monday it is opening new locations, relocating offices and selling some offices to make way for new developments.
    Comerica is working with Henry Ford Health System on the development of a new cancer center, for example, and Comerica's location there is being sold to Henry Ford.
    Other plans include the relocation of Comerica's Fort-Washington office and the installment of ATMs and the opening of a new banking center in the District Detroit development, which includes the new home of the Detroit Red Wings and Pistons.
    Michigan also is acquiring Comerica's Fort-Military location to make way for the Gordie Howe International Bridge linking the U.S. and Canada.
    Last edited by hybridy; January-30-17 at 02:35 PM.

Calltoaction Guest

Comerica can fuck off, how's life in the wasteland of Dallas treating them? Cretins.

The W. Grand branch is a nice midcentury building. Sad to see it go.

Quote Originally Posted by Calltoaction View Post
    Comerica can fuck off, how's life in the wasteland of Dallas treating them? Cretins.
    Since when did Dallas become a wasteland?

Quote Originally Posted by Calltoaction View Post
    I and all my family closed all our Comerica accounts when they moved the HQ.

If Michigan is no longer good enough for Comerica, then Comerica is no longer good enough to be my bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    If Michigan is no longer good enough for Comerica, then Comerica is no longer good enough to be my bank.
    I've had a great experience with Ally for banking. My savings account rate is 1% and there is currently no minimum balance amount, higher than nearly every other bank.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I've had a great experience with Ally for banking. My savings account rate is 1% and there is currently no minimum balance amount, higher than nearly every other bank.

I have since gone between Flagstar and some local credit unions, and been happy with both as well. But I refuse to bank with Comerica Carpetbaggers.

W.Grand/Sterling is a nice-looking mid-century office as Shai_Halud stated. Comerica has a number of attractive mid-century branches around the Metro area -- although it has bastardized some with an odd-looking beacon-type structure on the front recently. No idea if the good-lookers came from DB&T or Manufacturers National Bank [[or both). Fort/Military was the site some years ago of DPD SWAT taking out a robber/hostage-taker. While I can appreciate the sentiments of those people who chose to take their business elsewhere when the bank HQ moved -- the VAST majority of operations employees remain in Michigan.

When they moved to Texas - I took my banking/deposits/checking to Flagstar.

When I got my mortgage - it was with Talmer Bank.

Support Michigan based banks/product.

Same reason I'll always shop at Meijer - even if certain products are 5-10% more than Walmart. Keeps the money in Michigan vs sending it to Arkansas. Or Kroger to Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post

Same reason I'll always shop at Meijer - even if certain products are 5-10% more than Walmart. Keeps the money in Michigan vs sending it to Arkansas. Or Kroger to Ohio.
    What irritated me was that Comerica CHOSE to move away.

Using your Kroger example: While I do prefer Meijer and try to support local businesses, I don't hold it against Kroger that they are based in Ohio, because that is where they have always been based. No, Kroger isn't Michigan based, but they aren't Carpetbaggers either.

That is why I refuse to support Comerica, but don't put other out of state companies like Kroger in the same bin.

Calltoaction Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Since when did Dallas become a wasteland?
    Have you ever looked at a pic of Dallas before?

Calltoaction Guest

Good on you, funny thing is they haven't even tapped into the market in Texas, most of their business is still in Michigan, they moved for nothing.
    Last edited by Calltoaction; February-01-17 at 06:24 PM.

Ah......a little off topic, perhaps, but didn't Comerica used to be Detroit Bank and Trust about 40 years ago before it changed? My memory gets foggy sometimes. Anyway, just curious.

^^^ Probably, just as Bank of America here was once Standard Federal, Lasalle, etc. They were Michigan National Bank many years before that, etc.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-05-17 at 11:35 AM.

Parents had NBD since they were old enough to have money in the bank, they started me at NBD and I'm still with what remains at Chase. Wish there were still banks bearing a Detroit HQ or at lease the name.

Off Topic, but I love the old Manufacturers bank building on Washington and how you can still make out the old painted sign on the south side of the building.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Ah......a little off topic, perhaps, but didn't Comerica used to be Detroit Bank and Trust about 40 years ago before it changed? My memory gets foggy sometimes. Anyway, just curious.
    I believe it was that and Manufacturers Bank, similar to how Citizen's Bank was once Charter One and before that was First Federal in many areas and Charter Bank/National Bank of Wyandotte in some suburban portions and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post

Why? I don't get this mentality.

Meijer isn't "local". They're based in the Grand Rapids area. Spending more at Meijer does nothing for the local economy.

Re. Comerica, there are no sizable Metro Detroit banks. There is no local alternative to Comerica.

Also, it doesn't even make sense. Most of Comerica's operations are in Metro Detroit. They probably employ more locals than any other bank. Harming Comerica harms the local economy.

People should shop where they want to shop, and I find these weird geographic biases to be incomprehensible. Why would I dislike Comerica if they're in Dallas? Hell, why would I dislike them if they're in Singapore? Are the people in Singapore less than human?
    Last edited by Bham1982; February-02-17 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Why?
    Loyalty. Same reason we buy Big 3 cars here. Same reason some Chicagoans are still pissed at Macy's. I mean the bank goes back to 1849 in Detroit and they decide to up and leave to Dallas? I never banked, nor will I ever probably, with Comerica, but yeah I can understand the bitterness for those who have an attachment with local brands and businesses.

I would say the closest we have now to a Comerica is Flagstar Bank, hq'ed in Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I believe you are correct, Ray. Seems to me I have an old savings passbook from the former Detroit Bank and Trust before Comerica took them over. And back then , my law firm was in the Guardian Building where Michigan Bank occupied the beautiful lobby.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Loyalty. Same reason we buy Big 3 cars here.
    Yeah, I know people do this; I just don't get it. I buy the best product, and I don't discriminate based on location. Drive an American and European car, and chose both because I like them, not because I care where the engine was manufactured.

Granted, if there were an ISIS Motors or something, maybe I would be hesitant to buy, but outside of some ridiculously odious location, I don't care about country-of-origin. Putting aside the fact that there's no such thing as a true "American" or "Foreign" car these days, I don't understand why someone in Warren is more deserving of a job than someone in Stuttgart.

But it's obvious I have a minority opinion. Metro Detroit, really outside of a small geography in Oakland County, is amazingly dominated by Big 3. You really notice it when you visit California or New York or Miami, and there are practically no domestics outside of trucks.

Detroit Bank & Trust [[briefly marketed as Detroitbank) renamed itself Comerica in 1982 and in the process made some acquisitions, notably Bank of the Commonwealth [[1983) and the local branches of Empire of America [[early 1990s). Comerica then entered into a "merger of equals" with Manufacturers National Bank [[1992ish) with Comerica being the surviving name combined with Manufacturers' blue colors and trapezoid logo.

Comerica's strategy has been to tap the stable low cost deposits from the Detroit area, and loan them in other areas that offer more potential for profit [[and more risk). They opened branches in small business rich areas in TX and CA and focused on being the bank for small and medium size businesses and loaning them money. They did not actively seek a big consumer presence there, as noted above.

The feeling is there is not enough opportunity to loan such funds in Detroit. This strategy has often been used by banks. In Canada, for the last century, deposits in the Maritimes were loaned out elsewhere as its economic growth potential was believed to be limited.

About the modern branches, iirc, when Detroit Bank and Trust were building 211 West Fort Street they were also doing branches, with a concerted design effort.

It's sad that 211 West Fort Street, Chase Tower, and 1001 Woodward were all built as bank headquarters, and that now we don't have any banks. Ally Financial is HQed in Detroit but the actual Ally Bank [[600+ employees) is apparently located in two places outside of Michigan. And it's an online bank...

If you truly want to keep your money local go do your banking at a credit union.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Why? I don't get this mentality....snip...People should shop where they want to shop, and I find these weird geographic biases to be incomprehensible. Why would I dislike Comerica if they're in Dallas? Hell, why would I dislike them if they're in Singapore? Are the people in Singapore less than human?
    When Unions fight international trade, that's exactly what I think. We should always be seeking the best, not just blindly supporting our neighbor even if their product stinks.

With banking, some local bias makes sense though. A local credit union for example loans out locally. And they understand better the challenges of local small business owners. So I can respect banking locally -- where the institution actually loans only locally. I don't think that's because Texans are any less human, but because I might want to support local lending -- even if there's a cost increase to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast