Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Art Gallery in the Fisher Building

Does anyone remember the art gallery on the 3rd. floor of the Fisher Building called London Arts? It was run by Eugene Schuster in the 1980s.

I don't remember it, but Wikipedia does:

Now I'm wondering: was this the place I went to in the winter of 1970 with a bunch of high-school friends trying to be hip by going to see the [[drawings? etchings?) by John Lennon showing him consorting with Yoko Ono? I remember the drawings but not the site, which must have been somewhere near Wayne State.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandhouse View Post
    Now I'm wondering: was this the place I went to in the winter of 1970 with a bunch of high-school friends trying to be hip by going to see the [[drawings? etchings?) by John Lennon showing him consorting with Yoko Ono? I remember the drawings but not the site, which must have been somewhere near Wayne State.
    Yes. From the 20 January 1970 edition of the Free Press:

Name:  LennoninDetroit.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  75.1 KB

My mother, the former art major, always liked to stop in there, see what was on display, and maybe have a little chat with Gene Schuster. She couldn't really afford to buy anything in those days but she always wanted to keep up with what was going on in the art world. My dad still has on his wall a couple of drawings, which I believe were the only things she ever purchased there.

I knew his kids for a while through some other kids I knew in Palmer Woods where they lived. They had some strange and intriguing modern sculptures on their lawn as I remember.