Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Need help w/ Detroit history

I come to this forum seeking answers about a piece of what I assume is a piece of Detroit history from 1937.

It's a wooden policeman's nightstick, pretty generic piece-except for the scores of printed names and signatures that cover it's length. And the date used by several signers, 3-24-37. Have done some research over the 15 years or so I've owned it and it seems to have come from the Chrysler Sit-Down of 1937. Here's link to more info:
    http://the-spark.net/np79640.html

Here are some the names listed in case they ring any bells with anyone. All are signed in pencil, the notations are the signers. There are 38 legible names listed on the baton.

Homer Martin only name on the handle
    Chester A Doanbaki Police 3-24-37
    Alexander Marshall Ply Local 51
    S. Deutsch D.M. Newspaper
    J. Starlha R.N.
    Joe Rubin Police Chief
    Con Quinn Chief of Police
    Pay Dornon Typist
    Edw. McCann Dept. 71
    J.H.Belisle 76-7=7
    John G. Farembar Executive Secretary Strike Committee 3-24-37
    James Scanlon Recording Secretary Strike Committee 3-24-37

This nightstick fascinates me and I'd love to know more of it's history. It may be better for it to be in a labor museum if one exists or somewhere better than in my trunk. I'll be very happy if someone can shed light on it's history.[ATTACH]Name:  detroit nightstick [[9).jpg
Views: 913
Size:  48.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I tried looking through the 1940 census for those names; most come up multiple times and don't know which it might be. Did note that nearly all showed their occupations as working in an automobile factory.

As a side note, all Detroit Police night sticks [[proper term is "baton") were made by the inmates at DeHoCo during most of the 20th century.

How did you happen to come by that stick? My grandfather was involved in that strike. My grandmother for years talked about cooking and bringing the workers piles of dinners that were passed through the windows at Jefferson Ave. As shown by the police and worker signatures on that nightstick, despite going on for over 2 weeks the Chrysler strike was notably less violent than previous strikes, including the more famous sit-down strike at the GM Fisher Body plant in Flint earlier that year. Even my grandfather, who generally had very little nice to say about cops after his experiences during prohibition and having his skull creased by a DPD 'goon squad' during a strike at Burroughs a few years earlier, had nothing bad to say about the cops in the Chrysler strike [[although he credited the keeping of the peace mostly to Gov. Murphy).

I wonder if this is an artifact that the Detroit Historical Society would be interested in? Or maybe the folks at the labor history collection at the Reuther Library at Wayne State?

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    How did you happen to come by that stick? My grandfather was involved in that strike. My grandmother for years talked about cooking and bringing the workers piles of dinners that were passed through the windows at Jefferson Ave. As shown by the police and worker signatures on that nightstick, despite going on for over 2 weeks the Chrysler strike was notably less violent than previous strikes, including the more famous sit-down strike at the GM Fisher Body plant in Flint earlier that year. Even my grandfather, who generally had very little nice to say about cops after his experiences during prohibition and having his skull creased by a DPD 'goon squad' during a strike at Burroughs a few years earlier, had nothing bad to say about the cops in the Chrysler strike [[although he credited the keeping of the peace mostly to Gov. Murphy).

I wonder if this is an artifact that the Detroit Historical Society would be interested in? Or maybe the folks at the labor history collection at the Reuther Library at Wayne State?
    Thanks for the info Al. I came upon the baton while antiquing in Phoenix, AZ. of all places, it was in the bottom of a box with something else that I purchased. Didn't even know it was there till I got the box home.
    So I don't have any connection with it, just enjoy historical items and this "baton" seems to have quite a bit going for it. Thanks for the referrals, I'll get in contact and see if anyone's interested in adding to their collection.
    I did find that the most prominent name on the baton, Homer Martin was the President of the UAW in 1937 and found several references on the Reuther Library site to the strike.
    Last edited by mark5465; January-28-17 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    As a side note, all Detroit Police night sticks [[proper term is "baton") were made by the inmates at DeHoCo during most of the 20th century.
    LOL! Thanks, Ray! Our tax dollars at work!

I tried looking through the 1940 census for those names; most come up multiple times and don't know which it might be. Did note that nearly all showed their occupations as working in an automobile factory.

Didn't they have a thin rod of metal down the center? Or was that a special add-on that my dad had?

No, they were just wood, turned on a lathe. I heard stories that some would drill a sizable hole a ways down the length from the top and pour hot lead solder into it. Of course, those were just rumors, you understand........

No, they were just wood, turned on a lathe. I heard stories that some would drill a sizable hole a ways down the length from the top and pour hot lead solder into it. Of course, those were just rumors, you understand........
    I think I lived with the rumor...