Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Oakwood Heights

Default Oakwood Heights

I was coming up 75 the other day in the downriver area. Saw an orange construction sign with the words "Oakwood Heights" with an arrow pointing to the exit [[I think it was Schaefer). Is Oakwood Heights a neighborhood?

crawford Guest

I'm pretty sure Oakwood Heights is the old Italian neighborhood in Dearborn.

Now mostly Arab, but historically almost functioned as a Little Italy.

it may go into dearborn but for the most part it was in the oakwood section of detroit. i also think most of the italians were from san marino-the country. one of the best restaurants in the city giovannis on oakwood is there. the calamari is the best.

Oakwood Heights is awesome! Although it has some of the worst Environmental Justice problems is SW Detroit such as Marathon and the Salt mine Blasting underneath the houses gives residents fits.... It also has some of the gems of the city such as Giovanni's and my favorite Grocery/deli Gonella's.

For those who have never been Gonella's has the best italian subs in town and they start off at a 6 layer sub for 4 bucks.... Also a 4.99 lb olive bar. In my opinion it is a inexpensive version of zaccaro's without the produce.... It really is an awesome place, has a line out the door at lunch....

Is this the Gonellas on Oakwood or Outer Drive?

Stromberg2

Gonella's is on both Outer Drive and Oakwood. Ray Gonella sold the store on Oakwood, his son opened a new store on Outer Drive, in Dearborn.
    The first Gonellas was on Bayside, next to Engine 48. Ray's mother and father started the first Gonella.

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    I'm pretty sure Oakwood Heights is the old Italian neighborhood in Dearborn.

Now mostly Arab, but historically almost functioned as a Little Italy.
    it is actually in Detroit. it borders Dearborn to the northwest, Boyton neighborhood to the southwest, and east across Rouge River is the Sprinwells neighorhood and Delray to the southeast.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    it is actually in Detroit. it borders Dearborn to the northwest, Boyton neighborhood to the southwest, and east across Rouge River is the Sprinwells neighorhood and Delray to the southeast.
    anddd melvindale is directly to the west

In order to get to Fordson Island, which is in Dearborn, you must go through Oakwood. But Oakwood is in SW Detroit. The village of Oakwood was annexed around 1921.

Oakwood Heights is a small neighborhood with about 80% of the land dedicated to industry. The population in 2000 was 1,424 in 0.96 sq. mi. however the residential portion covers less than 0.2 sq. mi.

The red area represents the neighborhood boundaries, while the green area represents the residential portion of the neighborhood. The area outside the green is dedicated to industry.
    Attachment 2863

MIRepublic Guest

Hudkina, do you think you could make a bigger map outlining what is and isn't in the City of Detroit in the southwest? Sometimes, on that side of town, the borders can be rather tricky to identify.

Don't forget fresh bread from Oakwood Baking Co. over by Bayside....