Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 8 Mile/Lodge Billboard Promotes Gentrification Documentary Featuring Detroit

This ought to be interesting...

The movie trailer can be found here: http://youwillbemoved.org/#

http://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits/...message-across

I'm a big fan of using the billboard to communicate provocative ideas. Not sure that their statement is worded in such a way as to garner widespread agreement of their hypothesis, since our city as a whole is still well over 80% black. Had they specified "Downtown," however, some might feel that statement better represents how the subject matter of the film applies to us locally. Maybe it wouldn't matter and the accusation would still be overwhelmingly dismissed as false or overblown, as it seems to be by reading the comment sections. I definitely want to see this movie regardless.

Would any other DYessers take the time to watch this film, based on what you see on this billboard?

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Would any other DYessers take the time to watch this film, based on what you see on this billboard?
    I would not.

First off, what is "gentrification"? Here's the definition: the process of renovating and improving a house or district so that it conforms to middle-class taste

Why is it bad? It can make housing unaffordable in areas for poor people

Why is it really bad? Because often those poor people are disproportionately minorities, and the people replacing them are disproportionately white.

However, I don't think it's really that bad because there is so much affordable housing in Detroit, including some that's still pretty close to downtown. Also, people aren't just getting pushed out, but jobs are coming too. Many of downtown's employers have reputations for diversity and equal opportunity.

Also, while Detroit is 80% black, the metro-area is not. For me a desired-state would be to have a racially balanced metro-area, and not imaginary lines where most people should be black on one side, and most people should be white on the other side.

Ideally, all of Detroit will gentrify as more jobs come into the city. If we can make sure that we provide the same educational opportunities to the majority-minority Detroit, we'll find that gentrification will start to benefit everyone more equally.

I'd certainly welcome differing opinions on the subject.

They call it "American ethnic cleansing" while some call it basic economics. Tomato-tomahto, right?

From the trailer it seems Detroit doesn't play a leading role. Maybe because gentrification is not on the dramatic scale of a New York City. Only one of the interviewees is from Detroit.
    DR. DAVID FASSENFEST
    Dr. Fassenfest is a professor of Sociology at Wayne State University. He studies income inequality and how government policy affects economics in society.
    I've dug around a bit but can't yet find who is behind / made the film, other than the listing of a Jason Black of Shreveport, Louisiana, United States as the campaigner on their indiegogo fund raising page. There are no details on him in his profile.

We are in shrill times.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    This ought to be interesting...

I watched the trailer, and based on that, I have no interest in seeing the film. A slick production that will undoubtedly make some behind the scene people some money.

Lol ok...talk about conspiracy theories...

I can't blame people for being upset that they're "being pushed", it's always uncomfortable to talk about the Albert, for instance. But to say there's this grand scale plan to force black people out from the downtown cores of cities is simply ludicrous. Center cities across the world almost always have the highest price tags for real estate, it's just that now that we are building it up, it's actually coming to life here. It's pure economics. BUT, I would like the economy to work for everyone so that downtown isn't just rich white people [[which I actually don't think it is anyway).

All the message does to me is reinforce the stereotype that black people are inherently poorer than whites. That's a horrible message to keep pounding into people.

The message should be successful blacks are moving into the renovated Albert, lofts downtown etc from places like DC, Atlanta or NYC - or back from the suburbs and thus continuing the improvement of the city's infrastructure.

But to pin it as being forced out - makes the presumption that blacks are inherently poorer than whites. A more successful black person is taking the place of a black person who was living in affordable housing.