Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default $4 million indoor multi sport complex to be built in Detroit

"The Detroit Fitness Foundation provided the following information in a Tuesday release:

The Detroit Fitness Foundation [[DFF) today announced plans to develop a new indoor multi-sport complex featuring a world-class cycling velodrome as part of the city of Detroit’s planned improvements to Tolan Playfield, located at I-75 and Mack Avenue. Councilwoman Mary Sheffield and City of Detroit Planning Director Maurice Cox joined DFF leaders at a groundbreaking ceremony today to champion the park improvements and complex project, which will break ground in the spring, weather permitting, and open in late summer 2017."

http://www.clickondetroit.com/community/4-million-indoor-multi-sport-complex-to-be-built-in-detroit

I'm excited about the velodrome, especially if it is, in fact, a world-class facility that's capable of hosting big events.

It's a lot to be excited about. I imagine it will be a pretty big hit in the cyclists community.

http://detroit.curbed.com/2017/1/25/...odrome-detroit

Quote Originally Posted by innercitydoc View Post
    "...The Detroit Fitness Foundation [[DFF) today announced plans to develop a new indoor multi-sport complex featuring a world-class cycling velodrome as part of the city of Detroit’s...."
    ... built under the leadership of world-class velodrome developer Dale Hughes, DFF executive director. Hughes, a lifetime resident of Metro Detroit, has designed and built more than 20 velodromes worldwide, including the 1996 Olympic Velodrome in Atlanta and the 2015 Pan Am Games Velodrome in Toronto.
    This must be the same Dale I met by chance at the [[outdoor) Bloomer Velodrome:
    Detroit Velodrome??? Abandoned racing track? #18

He struck me as being super dedicated to these projects. Hat's off to people with that much passion.

I don't want to be a naysayer, and this sounds like a great facility to have, but it tends to be easier to raise the money to build something like this than it is to raise the money to maintain it. I hope they are thinking about that.
    Last edited by mwilbert; January-25-17 at 05:36 PM.

Money is not there? I wonder if this project will be completed by the end of the year or will the money funding it be tied up In red tape or redirected to someone's back pocket or ghost projects

there needs to be more urban sports complexes available to individuals and families in Detroit.