Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The Mustard and Onions Podcast on Podcast Detroit

Hey all!

I've been co-hosting a podcast called Mustard and Onions that focuses on the people and things that make Metro Detroit unique. This Sunday we talked to Jeremy Yagoda, the son of Marvin from Marvin's Mechanical museum. You can check that episode out by subscribing to Podcast Detroit [[which has TONS of unique Detroit-related content) or on Soundcloud - https://soundcloud.com/podcastdetroi...ard-and-onions

Next week we're talking to Jeremy from Pie-Sci, on the 5th we have the Detroit Mower Gang and on the 12th we'll be chatting with Melody Malosh, an entertainment writer from the DetNews. Our episodes aren't labeled well unfortunately but if you want to check out past conversations Episode 3 we talked to Tara of Gus and Grey's artisan jams, Episode 5 was PJ from the Hungry Howies commercials and Go! Comedy in Ferndale, Episode 6 was Dave from the Electric Six and Small's and Episode 7 was writer and actor Jaqui Floyd.

We're @MustardPodcast on Twitter and if you have a suggestion for a guest [[or want to advertise) I'm all ears!

Thanks, sounds interesting.

The Podcast Detroit feeds on both Soundcloud and iTunes are a mess. It seems like more than a dozen podcasts that should have their own feeds are all jumbled together on this one, so there's more than 200 hours of different shows just from the last month.

Some of the podcasts on Podcast Detroit do have their own feeds, like the DetroitCast. Any chance of you getting out of this mess and getting your own iTunes feed?

I hear ya. I think the idea of Podcast Detroit is strength in numbers and there are some really great, diverse shows there. I have another podcast [[satirical news called Drink the Press) that they host but I also post to a unique Soundcloud account with an independent RSS feed [[the episodes are so short I don't have to worry about the bandwidth cost). I'm working on a similar solution for Mustard and Onions but right now this is our exclusive host.

Quote Originally Posted by Enduro View Post
    I hear ya. I think the idea of Podcast Detroit is strength in numbers and there are some really great, diverse shows there.
    I have no doubt there are great shows there that would interest me, but how am I supposed to know what they are? They're all jumbled together with no description. Like these:

In The Box
    Detroitists
    Top Rope Review
    Can We Talk
    The Gooder Guys
    And yes, even yours, Mustard and Onions, along with dozens more.

How am I supposed to know what any of the above are about when there's no description? I've been looking for decent Detroit podcasts for a long time, but I'm not going to waste time listening to all of the above trying to find something that suits me.

Your show [[from description here on DY) sounds right up my alley, but if I subscribe to Podcast Detroit I'm going to be inundated with downloads of all the other shows [[8 different shows totaling more than 12 hours of programming, just today). I'm not going to put up with that every day just to get your show when it comes out, sorry.

This is not a strength-in-numbers model. It's a weak model; your podcast is getting completely lost and buried in it, and you'd do well to get out of it and get your own feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Enduro View Post
    Hey all!

I've been co-hosting a podcast called Mustard and Onions that focuses on the people and things that make Metro Detroit unique. This Sunday we talked to Jeremy Yagoda, the son of Marvin from Marvin's Mechanical museum. You can check that episode out by subscribing to Podcast Detroit [[which has TONS of unique Detroit-related content) or on Soundcloud - https://soundcloud.com/podcastdetroi...ard-and-onions

Next week we're talking to Jeremy from Pie-Sci, on the 5th we have the Detroit Mower Gang and on the 12th we'll be chatting with Melody Malosh, an entertainment writer from the DetNews. Our episodes aren't labeled well unfortunately but if you want to check out past conversations Episode 3 we talked to Tara of Gus and Grey's artisan jams, Episode 5 was PJ from the Hungry Howies commercials and Go! Comedy in Ferndale, Episode 6 was Dave from the Electric Six and Small's and Episode 7 was writer and actor Jaqui Floyd.

We're @MustardPodcast on Twitter and if you have a suggestion for a guest [[or want to advertise) I'm all ears!
    How does one set up their own podcast show?

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post
    I have no doubt there are great shows there that would interest me, but how am I supposed to know what they are? They're all jumbled together with no description. Like these:

In The Box
    Detroitists
    Top Rope Review
    Can We Talk
    The Gooder Guys

How am I supposed to know what any of the above are about when there's no description? I've been looking for decent Detroit podcasts for a long time, but I'm not going to waste time listening to all of the above trying to find something that suits me.

Your show [[from description here on DY) sounds right up my alley, but if I subscribe to Podcast Detroit I'm going to be inundated with downloads of all the other shows [[8 different shows totaling more than 12 hours of programming, just today). I'm not going to put up with that every day just to get your show when it comes out, sorry.

This is not a strength-in-numbers model. It's a weak model; your podcast is getting completely lost and buried in it, and you'd do well to get out of it and get your own feed.
    That's great feedback and I appreciate your honesty. I'll work on finding a solution for listeners who are just interested in our show. We've just dipped our toes in the podcasting water so we're kind of addressing these things as they come. We've got some great guests coming up and are having a good time doing it so perhaps it's time to jump in with both feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    How does one set up their own podcast show?
    That's a rather big question. If you don't have any equipment or know-how I'd suggest the Podcast Detroit route. The rates are reasonable and you have a built-in infrastructure. http://www.podcastdetroit.com/so-you...art-a-podcast/ - personally me and Jim both have the gear and know-how to do it ourselves but we liked having a studio that can easily handle multiple guests, allows us to stream live [[5 PM on Sundays for us) and kept us committed to a weekly format.

If you're more independent and feel comfortable there's a lot of resources out there... Google podcast, rss feed and start with something like Soundcloud.

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post

In The Box
    Detroitists
    Top Rope Review
    Can We Talk
    The Gooder Guys

Okay! So it took me a while but I've managed to address your very valid criticism. You can now subscribe to just our show on iTunes, GooglePlay and anywhere else that gets their podcast feeds from those two big players. I've made this website for people who may want to listen on their desktop - https://mustardpodcast.wordpress.com/

Hopefully that'll make finding and enjoying the show that much easier. I look forward to more feedback!

Cheers!

Cool, thanks! I have just subscribed.