Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Republicans Pimping Tenants for Matty's MC Depot

On Monday, August 31st, the Michigan Senate Transportation and Homeland Security and Emerging Technologies Committees will hold a joint hearing in Detroit on possible future re-uses for Michigan Central Depot. In a letter to the Detroit International Bridge Company, Assistant Majority Floor Leader Sen. Cameron Brown says he's eager to help the Bridge Company find a tenant for its derelict 1913 office building. The suggested users would all have their rent paid by federal or state taxpayers: a Michigan State Police crime lab, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, a "multi-state emergency-management system," or an "international trade processing center" for customs inspections.

Sen. Brown's letter is signed by five other Republican Senators, apparently wanting to show billionaire Manuel Moroun that he's getting his money's worth from his purchase of the Michigan Senate majority. Only an uncharitable person might ask why senators from places like Sturgis, Traverse City, Howell or Three Oaks are so eager to find tenants for this particular empty Detroit property.

Anyone who wants to offer their own suggestions for re-use of this "14 acres in proximity to critical state, regional, and international infrastructure" will be welcome at the hearing, which will happen at SEMCOG's offices at the Buhl Building, 535 Griswold, Suite 300, at 10:00 AM on the 31st. The senators expect testimony to take a couple of hours, so I'm sure they'll welcome your ideas. [[Check the Committees' web sites for late changes to the schedule.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandhouse View Post
    The suggested users would all have their rent paid by federal or state taxpayers: a Michigan State Police crime lab, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, a "multi-state emergency-management system," or an "international trade processing center" for customs inspections.
    I would find using 14 acres of land for a crime lab or multi-state emergency-mgmt system a waste. By comparsion, 16 acres were used for the World Trade Center complex. Either turn it into a major and I mean major transit hub or it should be a business complex.

It seems that the rest of the country, in what seems to be it's transitional stage of a collectivist approach, is going section eight, so why not help Homeland and the MSP [[If you listen to the winds of 'Change', we are all in this together, at any rate).
    It's probably 'stimulus' money anyhow, so who cares!

Hey! At least they will get some of the money back in the taxes this billionaire pays so we/they can stimulate something else . I don't know about you, but I've never had it so good.

Where did you source this from? We all know about the letter that Senator Brown sent to the city of detroit, but the rest is knew to me, other than the opinionated junk in between the facts

MIRepublic Guest

Hey, I say pimp away.

Given that the future of MCS is sorely in doubt [[considering that it would likely cost far more to renovate that the Lafayette Building, and that it is a worse location in terms of business use), I am surprised that anyone has trouble with officials trying to find tenants for the building. I do believe there could be an issue if the government was wasting taxpayer money on a poorly conceived project, but so far, there is no indication of that. I think it is good that some officials are taking an interest in the structure.

From what I understand it could be much cheaper to renovate MCS than the Lafayette. All the floors are fully intact and structurally sound in MCS, there is no sagging, there is no wobbling, nothing. The asbestos and lead in the building can be removed with grants and from what I'm told can actually be painted over as long as the material is intact. It's a matter of making it secure and finding a use for it

I'd rather see my tax dollars fund taking over something like this, existing construction and rehabilitation, than build new, as well as activate a gem. So if they can find tenants - God bless'em. It'd be good for the neighborhood, those are decently paying jobs and they're most likely not going away.

It may be all smoke and mirrors, but I'd rather see it occupied than torn down, or worse, continue to sit empty.

Let the pimping begin!

Think of all the great things the Democrats have done to Detroit for the last 40 yrs. What a goofy JoAnn Watson-style complaint, Sandman. Good job.

Detroit rises!

I think it would be great if there was something worth renovating the building for. If the government does do something with it though, I think that the government should buy it from Matty for what it's worth [[next to nothing) and then develop and own it themselves.

I have to agree with the "pro-pimp" folks... who cares which political party is behind this.

Why not add the FBI to the list of tenants... the idea of a new [[now scrapped) low level bunkered Detroit FBI campus never sat too well with many on this forum. They could put security "Jersey Barriers", like those around Washington's Capitol Hill, around a "Federal" MCS complex.

As for buy vs. lease... doesn't the federal General Services Administration [[GSA) prefer leases?

Wasn't there some issue with using the building for Homeland Security or FBI purposes due to the one or two remaining active tracks behind the building?

I'm glad so many people are for this. I'm a registered Democrat and really this is the first issue I would gladly side with the Republican party on. Obviously

As far as the tracks go, it's because they're operated by a Canadian freight company whose name escapes me at the moment.

Rumor has it the whole reason it was suddenly put on the chopping block was because this RR company wanted to expand their ability to run trains in the area, and build another tunnel [[which a story came out a few weeks after the demolition announcement for this expansion), but in order to do that they would have to run right over the station.

I'd say kill off that section of Newark street and add more elevated track, there's a lot of room for it or, rebuild the tracks that were destroyed over the last 20 years that ran over the bridge over Vernor

Implode the Depot. Relocate the zoo from Royal Oak.

Quote Originally Posted by Be Kay View Post
    Implode the Depot. Relocate the zoo from Royal Oak.
    Interesting thought......

Re: Imploding the Depot and relocating the Detroit Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Interesting thought......
    Yeah, I wasn't being gruff or controversial. I meant it. Add Tiger Stadium to all that acreage and there must be enough room to house the Detroit Zoo. Wouldn't it be great to have the Detroit Zoo in Detroit? I hear much talk of Detroit becoming an "urban prairie" and "urban farmland". Well, what goes great with prairies and farmland? Animals! It'll never happen but I think it would be great for the zoo to be just outside downtown. People would come.

Quote Originally Posted by Be Kay View Post
    Re: Imploding the Depot and relocating the Detroit Zoo

Yeah, I wasn't being gruff or controversial. I meant it. Add Tiger Stadium to all that acreage and there must be enough room to house the Detroit Zoo. Wouldn't it be great to have the Detroit Zoo in Detroit? I hear much talk of Detroit becoming an "urban prairie" and "urban farmland". Well, what goes great with prairies and farmland? Animals! It'll never happen but I think it would be great for the zoo to be just outside downtown. People would come.
    No, it is a good thought. 14 acres is a lot of land. It would give a major boost to that area.

Two things.
    1) Tiger Stadium land is no-go. Remember it is on the other side of Michigan Ave.

2) The defenders of "historic" buildings will hiss at this idea because it would mean the end of the building currently on the land.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    No, it is a good thought. 14 acres is a lot of land. It would give a major boost to that area.

Two things.
    1) Tiger Stadium land is no-go. Remember it is on the other side of Michigan Ave.

2) The defenders of "historic" buildings will hiss at this idea because it would mean the end of the building currently on the land.

Oops! I'm an idiot. I was going by memory [[live in Chicago now) and I thought they were basically kitty-corner. A quick look on Google Maps proved me wrong. What the heck, let's throw a few million more dollars on my project and build an elevated monorail from the new Detroit Zoo on the MCD grounds to the former Tiger Stadium where we can put more exhibits.

As far as #2 goes, yes, it is history but there comes a time for preservationists to let go. Besides, what exactly is being preserved on the MCD right now? Only its legacy as it lies in ruin. I saw one person somewhere say ruins serve as reminders of years past and they actually compared the MCD to the Acropolis. A bit of a stretch. I too love to go look at it when I visit Detroit and think about what was but I think it should go. It was kind of hard to see Hudson's go but I think Campus Martius is doing way more for the city now than the empty Hudson's building was.

As far as part two goes, I'd rather see it there than run the risk of being a parking lot or unused plot of land. If Detroit wants to get rid of an embarrassing property, they should get rid of the Roosevelt Warehouse, or make Matty get rid of it since it's his property.

Also tearing it down would still leave the dangerous underside of the tracks where the express, baggage, and postage offices were held. The tracks are elevated and connected to the building

Lorax Guest

Better yet, leave the depot as the entrance building for the zoo, the tower can be a hotel, the concourses and mini-train serve the zoo, and as hotel lobby, build a world-class facility with aquarium stretching across Michigan to include the stadium land- a mini Disney without the mice, thanks.

Save for the last part, thats a pretty sick idea Lorax

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    Better yet, leave the depot as the entrance building for the zoo, the tower can be a hotel, the concourses and mini-train serve the zoo, and as hotel lobby, build a world-class facility with aquarium stretching across Michigan to include the stadium land- a mini Disney without the mice, thanks.
    I could go with that idea because it would open up the southwest side to renewal, plus with a hotel in the area it would allow the area to expand Mexicantown to be more than a hodgepodge of restaurants.

It really should have been a hotel all along! All the office buildings when it first opened had "vacuum plugs" so there was definitely the potential for it!

set down the pipe kids. for the good of others, if not yourselves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast