Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gang Violence at American Coney Island

Yeah, like uh, that's downtown - and therefore will be addressed. Armed security guard, the works there from now out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yeah, like uh, that's downtown - and therefore will be addressed. Armed security guard, the works there from now out.
    Yeah, but the announcement came that the restaurant owner is basically paying out $25/hr for armed security to come in.

I'm glad to see that he's willing to do it but it's a shame it needs to be done at all.

"Hey, Let's grab a coney and head over to the NAIAS..."

Probably some spillovers from Bathtub Pub.

Damn. Glad I went to Lafayette.

Wonder what the beef with the waiter was?

Then again, "Let's not!"

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    "Hey, Let's grab a coney and head over to the NAIAS..."
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-20-17 at 07:04 AM.

That's what I mean -- $25 an hour, in the mean time be wary of the local coney in the neighborhood! They are not going to do that!

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Yeah, but the announcement came that the restaurant owner is basically paying out $25/hr for armed security to come in.

I'm glad to see that he's willing to do it but it's a shame it needs to be done at all.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Damn. Glad I went to Lafayette.

Wonder what the beef with the waiter was?
    At 3am? I'm guessing alcohol

I had no idea it was open at 3am in the morning. Owner must do a decent amount of business at that time to warrant hiring an off duty cop.

Terrible. No need to shoot the gun. Keep it to fisticuffs and an occasional thrown chair.
    Where is the "gang" violence aspect? Missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    Terrible. No need to shoot the gun. Keep it to fisticuffs and an occasional thrown chair.
    I thought that the restaurants and gas station had real-time surveillance cameras and when a robbery is seen on screen the police are dispatched. I swear there needs to be a "panic" button at every retail counter, just press the button for the police. Like the emergency call buttons on campus.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Then again, "let's not!"
    Precisely...

Nothing good happens at Coney Islands in Detroit past 10pm. I repeat, nothing good happens at Coney Islands in Detroit past 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    Nothing good happens at Coney Islands in Detroit past 10pm. I repeat, nothing good happens at Coney Islands in Detroit past 10pm.
    Years ago, it was a thing to go to Lafayette or American after a night of bar hopping. The worst thing that happened was people would ask you for quarters. I don't ever recall being worried about going in either @ 3 a.m.

Not true at all! I've had wonderfully memorable times at Coney islands past 10.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Not true at all! I've had wonderfully memorable times at Coney islands past 10.
    As have I, but I have also dodged a lot of bullets, so to speak, just to have some crummy, greasy, unhealthy eats. It's just not worth it to me. As an aside I stopped going to coneys late night years ago, and I'm in much better shape than I was back then. So for me at least, I'm better off without late night coneys in my life.
    Last edited by Zozo; January-19-17 at 06:14 PM.

Except some delicious coneys.

Was just in Lafayette a couple of weeks ago at 1 AM with my 90+ year old dad. He certainly thought something good was happening...

I've seen a rowdy group of drunks or two in those places over the years, but never anything like this. The area around there, like everyplace else downtown is certainly safer feeling than it used to be.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; January-19-17 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UofMGuy423 View Post
    I had no idea it was open at 3am in the morning. Owner must do a decent amount of business at that time to warrant hiring an off duty cop.
    I think the downtown coneys are open 24/7. At least they always used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I think the downtown coneys are open 24/7. At least they always used to be.
    The only day they used to be closed was Christmas. I wonder if this was a prep for an eventual shakedown by some would-be gangstas?

According to the news, its not gang violence but a thug violence. I wonder Dan Gilbert knows about this problem in his territory?

Is it Bloods that go to American and Crips that go to Lafayette or is it the other way around?
    Joking aside, of course what happened is terrible.

Years ago, many of my late nights ended with a trip to either of the coney places there. Other than panhandlers, not a problem for decades. Age, and the need to conform to a sensible diet, have reduced visits to a few times a year. Too bad private security is required now.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    Read the Real story! These THUGS were harassing women and one of the employees stepped in like a real man and tried to stop this. This shit happens everywhere. Also to one of you posters, the owner is a FEMALE Grace Keros not a man.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...tery/96741466/

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post

Sign of the times. These ain't the 50's anymore.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast