Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Old Bishop School

I am trying to discover the exact location of the Old Bishop School in about 1910. A Detroit Directory of 1890 has the school on Winder between Hastings and Rivard. The Sanborn map of the area [[1897 vol. 4 sheet 20) shows no Bishop School--only the Everett Elementary School on Fort Ave. E. There is no 'Winder' between Hastings and Rivard. Another source puts the school on Marion Street between Hastings and Prospect. I cannot find Marion or Prospect on any Sanborn map. I feel like I am missing something very obvious here, but I just can't find the location of the Bishop School! Could anyone direct me to a map that has the school on it, or to information that positively locates the school?

Quote Originally Posted by rcknapp View Post
    I am trying to discover the exact location of the Old Bishop School in about 1910. A Detroit Directory of 1890 has the school on Winder between Hastings and Rivard. The Sanborn map of the area [[1897 vol. 4 sheet 20) shows no Bishop School--only the Everett Elementary School on Fort Ave. E. There is no 'Winder' between Hastings and Rivard. Another source puts the school on Marion Street between Hastings and Prospect. I cannot find Marion or Prospect on any Sanborn map. I feel like I am missing something very obvious here, but I just can't find the location of the Bishop School! Could anyone direct me to a map that has the school on it, or to information that positively locates the school?
    The 1895/1900/1905/1910/1915/1920 R. L. Polk City Directories list the school at Winder near Rivard. The 1920 city directory lists the building at its pre-1921 address of 303 Winder but does not list the post 1921 address, which is approximately 947 Winder. The 1921 city directory does not list the building. I have a feeling the school was closed sometime in 1919 or 1920 and the building may have been razed by 1921.

I found it at last--on an 1885 Detroit street map. The street names are changed--it is not on 'Winder', but on 'Marion', and 'Rivard' is 'Prospect'. But it is there. Still a mystery why it is not on the Sanborn maps. But oh well. Thanks for the help!

Recently found this image on Virtual Motor City. The title is Bishop School 911 Winder, dated 11/7/35.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Of historical significance, this school was attended by members of one of Detroit's most notorious 1920/1930-era gangs. As reported in Wikipedia:

"Most of the Purple Gang's core members went to Bishop School where all were placed in the division for problem children."