Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Gretchen Whitmer Announces she is running for Democrat Nomination for Governor

Gretchen Whitmer tossed her name in the ring for the upcoming cage match.

Lots of people take both good and bad pictures, but she's kinda' cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

Is "I'd hit it" the new standard on who to vote for now?

Let the games begin!

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Is "I'd hit it" the new standard on who to vote for now?
    And why not? All black people and liberal white dems only voted for Obama because he's black. Most women voters voted for Crooked because she's female.

Eh, excuse me [[unless you were being comedic). Not 'all' black people voted for Obama, either run -- apparently one or two didn't vote for Hillary. And, I'm not saying that meant a repub vote necessarily.

The Clinton/ Trump election demonstrated that the black vote can no longer be assumed by the dems. That was a good outcome of this election interestingly. I already knew the black vote was not fully unilateral, and was tired of our vote, assumed.

Even Clinton was unable to pull the numbers of women voters she, eh, assumed.

Much of the standard 'who-votes-for-who' default narrative sorta fell apart this election!

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    And why not? All black people and liberal white dems only voted for Obama because he's black. Most women voters voted for Crooked because she's female.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-04-17 at 01:25 PM.

Back to the thread topic specifically, here's a some basic info re. Gretchen Whitmer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gretchen_Whitmer

http://www.freep.com/story/news/poli...race/96116246/
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-04-17 at 11:27 AM.

Physical attractiveness can be a double edged sword for a female politician. It's obviously a benefit when it comes to media exposure [[Sarah Palin being a rather public example). That being said, the majority of voters are female themselves and that's why a pretty face may turn into a detriment. While a percentage of men may be swayed to vote for Whitmer based on appearance, some women will do exactly the opposite. We're [[Men) not the only sex capable of making irrational decisions!

What's her face in Pennsylvania is OK too and I think she got a raw deal. Then there's Pam Bondi in FL that I think is rather stupid being a Trumpette.

Weren't there people that thought The Mole was attractive?

In Palin's case, a "pretty face" did not turn into a detriment with women; her being as dumb as a rock did.
    And why do you think this would even be an issue? Do you think an attractive man at a disadvantage because other men find him too attractive?
    Double standards never die.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Physical attractiveness can be a double edged sword for a female politician. It's obviously a benefit when it comes to media exposure [[Sarah Palin being a rather public example). That being said, the majority of voters are female themselves and that's why a pretty face may turn into a detriment. While a percentage of men may be swayed to vote for Whitmer based on appearance, some women will do exactly the opposite. We're [[Men) not the only sex capable of making irrational decisions!
    Last edited by jcole; January-04-17 at 12:38 PM.

where is her campaign website? What are some of her policy positions?

here are a couple of recent news stories-
    Democrat Gretchen Whitmer running for Michigan governor

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2017/01/03/gretchen-whitmer/96118884/

Whitmer ‘can’t wait,’ makes early run for Mich. gov

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...-gov/96151624/

I'm with Meddle...she's cute.

Though, I don't know a thing about her policy positions, nor her opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

She doesn't look "all that" to me, kinda average. Now if she looked like Sofia Vergara, now that's different.

Cute or not she was a pretty damn good state senator and has reportedly done a good job as prosecutor up there in Lansing. But, as much as many of us may want Snyder finally gone, it's a very looong way to the election. And other than Schuette not at all clear who the serious candidates will be yet.

Calltoaction Guest

Anyone but Snyder.

Cute or not, only Jenny can blow me away.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    In Palin's case, a "pretty face" did not turn into a detriment with women; her being as dumb as a rock did.
    And why do you think this would even be an issue? Do you think an attractive man at a disadvantage because other men find him too attractive?
    Double standards never die.

Just my own observations of the behavioral differences between many men and women. I've heard women express negative opinions of other women within seconds of seeing/meeting them [[based entirely on their attractiveness). I have rarely seen a man do the same when introduced to another man. I'd honestly go even further and say that many men are oblivious as to whether or not another man is physically attractive to the opposite sex. I'm not claiming to be an expert in the matter, but I have witnessed it enough to realize that it's a just a difference, not a double standard.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; January-04-17 at 07:09 PM.

The Michigan Governor campaign is going to hot and sexy! It's time for that so called " One tough nerd----" [[I mean) one weak geek to go.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Cute or not she was a pretty damn good state senator and has reportedly done a good job as prosecutor up there in Lansing. But, as much as many of us may want Snyder finally gone, it's a very looong way to the election. And other than Schuette not at all clear who the serious candidates will be yet.
    Take it for what you value it at, but I know she strongly & actively opposed the Right to Work legislation.

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    Black people have been voting for democrats at all level of governments at about the same rates for decades. In 1992 Bill Clinton got 83% of the black vote, and Hillary Clinton just now got 88%.

Hillary Clinton got 54% of women. But demographically women lean democrat so this isn't a strange number. Obama in 2008 got 56% of the female vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Eh, excuse me [[unless you were being comedic). Not 'all' black people voted for Obama, either run -- apparently one or two didn't vote for Hillary. And, I'm not saying that meant a repub vote necessarily.

The Clinton/ Trump election demonstrated that the black vote can no longer be assumed by the dems. That was a good outcome of this election interestingly. I already knew the black vote was not fully unilateral, and was tired of our vote, assumed.

Even Clinton was unable to pull the numbers of women voters she, eh, assumed.

Much of the standard 'who-votes-for-who' default narrative sorta fell apart this election!
    I'm sorry but one when demographic votes so overwhelmingly for one party so consistently over such a long period of time, for all practical purposes, "black people vote for democrats".

White people 65 years and older went 58% Trump, 45-64 was 62%. Rural areas were 62% Trump. 88% of blacks voted for Clinton. For comparison, people who identify as liberal were 84%, and people who identified as democrats were 89%. 10% of liberals and 9% of democrats voted for Trump, while only 8% of blacks voted for Trump.

Sorry for using D.C. again as an example, but their vote breakdown is incredible.

http://cookpolitical.com/story/10174

Trump pulled 4.1% in D.C.

For the sake of simplicity, let's assume Trump got < 0.2% of the African-American vote, which means he had to pull say 8% of the non-African-American vote to get to a whopping 4.1%.

He got all of 12,723 votes in D.C.

In most states Howdy Doody [[D) or Howdy Doody [[R) should be worth say 25% of the vote.
    Last edited by emu steve; January-06-17 at 03:52 AM.

This is about a Hot Chick, not a hot mess.

She's like a Sarah Palin. I remember in 2012 when she said that every guy was just interested in her vagina. Imagine the tshirts that people would buy/wear if she was nominated. She lost all electibility with such foolish remarks. The Nasty Woman tshirts for Hillary would be considered GGG.

http://www.annarbor.com/news/verbal-...ortion-debate/

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    She's like a Sarah Palin. I remember in 2012 when she said that every guy was just interested in her vagina.
    Do guys actually find Palin attractive? I don't get it. It was a big media theme, but I never heard anyone actually call her attractive. She looks like a fairly typical mid-American middle-aged lady [[as does Whitmer, for that matter).

Anyways, it has no relevance to their qualifications. Female candidates should be judged the same as male candidates.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast