Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default The Tunnels of Detroit

Does anyone remembers a tunnel that went underneath Grand River that had connected Sears to Federal's?

Yes. I worked at Sears. I was terrified of the tunnel, but then, I am terrified of all tunnels. I have walked through that tunnel, very very fast.

What was the purpose of a tunnel between two competing retailers?

Grand River & Oakman?

So you could shop the whole center without going out in the rain or snow, or crossing busy Grand River Avenue. There was a lot of traffic on it in the past.

Yes, Grand River and Oakman. As I recall, it was paved all through in square yellow masonry blocks and very well lighted. It was more like a corridor than a tunnel, really.

is the tunnel still there?

I had been in the one under the Fisher Building that connect it to the former GM Headquarters

I remember being at the "cottage" [[was a shack and not near a beach) watching heavy National Guard vehicles [[someone here said there were no tanks used) rumble up Grand River and wondering how the tunnel fared. It was a snowy black and white picture, no pixellation, though. Never shopped there again so I don't know the answer.

Another tunnel I know of is under Lafayette. It connected the Detroit News with WWJ TV and radio. It was filled in/blocked off when the News sold off WWJ.

Yep, I remember that tunnel.

Theres a pretty cool tunnel that runs under the street parallel to the Packard plant. It runs under the street between the two main buildings and runs almost the entire length of the Packard, at least at one time it did. Parts have been filled in blocking it off. It also runs under the street connecting the two main buildings. Theres only a few entrances and their hard to find if you dont know where there at but its worth finding.

Since we're moving on to other tunnels, what about the railroad tunnel under the river? I've never been in it, but I've been to the entrance although I can't remember where it is right now.

There's a whole network of tunnels between buildings downtown used to carry pipes for the steam heat system.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    There's a whole network of tunnels between buildings downtown used to carry pipes for the steam heat system.
    How big are these tunnels? The size of storm drains where you have to crouch down to move in, hoping your knees and palms don't squish a dead rat, or ones high enough that you can walk through them like the miles of public tunnels that connect the buildings in downtown Toronto? That'd be pretty cool if they opened them up to the public and the buildings they connected to turned their basements into minimalls like Toronto.

The steam structures are probably more like "vaults" -- not the sort of thing you could stroll down.

There was also a tunnel under Cass Avenue by the antique store.

The rail tunnel under the river is south of the intersection of Vermont and Porter. You can see it from the bridge over the tracks on Bagley. Don't go down there, though. They'll stop you. The one working portal has about three dozen trains a day running through it.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    How big are these tunnels?

Never been down there, but from what I understand, they're not much more than maintenance passageways for the workers to get to the pipes and conduits.

I remember the tunnel very well. When my parents shopped at Sears or Federals, depending on which parking lot they used, we always went through the tunnel to get to either store. Didn't have to cross busy Grand River. I think there was a small shack that you used to enter or exit the tunnel for the Federals lot. Sears, I don't remember. There also was a snack bar in the tunnel where my mom would buy us hot dogs for the ride home. I don't remember which end of the tunnel it was on but I have fond memories of my mom treating me after a day of shopping.

What other stores were in the area? I only remember Meyers Jewelers on the corner of Oakman & Grand River and Cunnninghams Drugs across the street. There was also a men's clothing store just down from Cunninghams on Oakman but I don't recall the name.

Are there any tunnels in the Grand River Greenfield area that ran between Montgomery Wards and Kingsway?

Packard tunnels are large enough to stand and walk through for the most part but you might want rubber boots. It was def some kind of maintenance tunnel with large water main pipes running along the floor. One entrance is next to the collapsed skywalk in the east building. Bring a flashlight and a backup flashlight just in case. Its pretty cool exploring the different stairways up that pop into different buildings. Its like a box of chocolates.

There used to be four tunnels underneath West Jefferson Avenue and Schaefer Road in River Rouge. They were pedestrian walkways. Back in the days they were built and used, the amount of traffic, autos and trucks, on those thoroughfares was immense, particularly during the shift changes at factories, and there were dozens of factories. As kids, we walked to and from school during those shifts, so using the tunnels was almost a necessity at times. Most people avoided driving the streets during those hours if they weren't part of the rush hour, usually walking 'up the street' if they had business or shopping to transact.

I've been in the train tunnel on numerous occasions, the last time about 25 years ago. It's been modifed since. There used to be 2 tubes active and now, I believe, one is inactive. The tunnel, in spite of it's last modifications, is still too small for the latest train cars. The result is Detroit's lost traffic to the new Port Huron Tunnel. I had friends who worked for the railroads and we'd go 'high railing'. They had pick ups with train wheels which you'd lower to meet the tracks. Once you got clearance from a 'tower', you'd take off on the tracks. We went in the tunnel on many occasions but never came out 'fully' on the Windsor side because we never had an okay from Customs/Immigration. I have photos, not very clear or descriptive, of the tunnel. I'll post one if I can find it. We'd meet up at one of the railroaders hang outs, like Mike's Famous Ham Place on Michigan Avenue near West Grand Boulevard, early in the AM, eat breakfast, load up on coffee and head out to ride rails, mostly on weekends. It was lot's of fun. We rode most of the major tracks around downriver, the west side and up to Hamtown.

There was a notorious Detroit bar owner I worked for many years ago, who bragged about all the Irishmen he smuggled in to the US through the train tunnel. I never doubted his smuggling, just his numbers. The tunnel was poorly guarded and not secure. I've no doubt it's now watched much more carefully. I haven't seen my railroad friends and former family members for many years, so I haven't had the pleasure of visiting the tunnel since the 80's. I'm quite sure in the post 9/11 era you couldn't just roll down in to the tunnel, as we did.

there is a tunnel under the fisher building that goes to the former GM headquarters

There was also one that went from the Fisher Bldg. to the New Center Bldg. on Second. Saks 5th Ave. used to be in that building.

The Packard tunnels are amazing, one of the best-kept secrets of the complex. Guess the secret's out now. I heard they date to the early days of the factory [[1899-1905) and might be some of the oldest in the city. Great stuff.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast