Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 53 of 207 FirstFirst ... 3 43 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 63 103 153 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 5151

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Paul Simon said it best in "The Boxer".
    Exactly; just like Trump's supporters:
    "I am just a poor boy and my story's seldom told
    I have squandered my resistance on the pocket full of mumbles
    That are promises.
    All lies and jests, still a man hears what he wants to hear
    And disregards the rest"

^ your current president is President Trump,you squander your resistance with mumbles.

How is she anyways? I hear she is working on a new book called,How to win friends and influence voters.

Thank you for doing your part in helping him into the Oval Office.

FYI - Time retracts initial statement re. lead photo:

http://time.com/longform/john-moore-.../?xid=tcoshare

Correction [[Posted June 19): The original version of this story misstated what happened to the girl in the photo after she was taken from the scene. The girl was not carried away screaming by U.S. Border Patrol agents; her mother picked her up and the two were taken away together.

Last edited by Zacha341; June-24-18 at 07:32 PM.

^ like the Fonda family is a shining example of higher moral ground.

Don't agree with what Fonda tweeted.

but, talk about morals...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNXgjnBpxGI

^ the goal is to be the better person.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    He's good...hit the nail on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ^ the goal is to be the better person.
    Right...so, what's taking Donald so long?

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Right...so, what's taking Donald so long?
    I think that like they say old habits die hard,he did refer to himself as a democrat so maybe that residual hatred slimes out sometimes.

https://www.cnn.com/2015/07/21/polit...rat/index.html

In many cases, I probably identify more as Democrat," Trump told CNN's Wolf Blitzer in a 2004

So maybe he needs a cleansing to get the evil out of his system.

The photos are heartbreaking. I keep thinking to myself, where are all these people going to live? How are they going to eat? Who's going to pay for their medical coverage ? How much is it going to cost to deliver the Central American pregnant woman's baby? Why would she leave and go on this treacherous trek knowing she was pregnant? Why did my friend, a long time American Citizen, who works and pays through the nose for medical coverage for his family, have to shell out an additional $15k when his long time American Citizen wife, delivered their baby? Why aren't American Citizens able to get free health coverage as well? Will medical costs skyrocket for me because of all the free healthcare the immigrants will be receiving? Will I have to keep working for the rest of my life, and pay exorbitant taxes and medical expenses because of all the illegal immigrants? What about all the crime I read about festering in the background? Totally depressing.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/30...te-murder.html
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; June-25-18 at 12:25 PM.

Gee wizz where is your compassion,you know is all you have to do is live in a cardboard box and sending in your retirement and paychecks will bring you into stellar citizen status.

In 2017 alone there were 56 million displaced refugees in the world,Italy,France,Greece are all at each other on who is supposed to pay for all of that because none of them can afford to,Merkel in Germany was given an ultimatum to stop or be removed from office.

No country on earth can bear the costs to pay for it all and every country has its limitations,there is a reason for borders,that is why they are there,remove them or do not enforce the flow over them then each country will become a mirror of the one everybody is fleeing from.

Sometimes we just cannot save the world,but some do not want to see that.
    Last edited by Richard; June-25-18 at 12:36 PM.

^ your current president is President Trump,you squander your resistance with mumbles.

How is she anyways? I hear she is working on a new book called,How to win friends and influence voters.

Thank you for doing your part in helping him into the Oval Office.

Name:  Hillary, I've Fallen....JPG
Views: 3651
Size:  122.3 KB

Yep, a mirror indeed!

I think the hatred for Trump and his particular handling of immigration et al has blinded many to the fact that immigration laws exist for a reason.

At the extreme you now have some protestors demanding completely OPEN BORDERS as a response to and edict to Trump exclusively.

Umm, have we forgotten we have only so many resources? Does even liberal Canada allow everyone in?

Do they have open borders? NO.

I want to us help as many as possible but we need not look far for children in distress; we have under-served, poor children and destitute families, some homeless right here in Detroit.

We need immigration reform that allows sustainability of our nation.

No president seems to want to deal with that, just kicking the can down the road.

No country on earth can bear the costs to pay for it all and every country has its limitations, there is a reason for borders, that is why they are there, remove them or do not enforce the flow over them then each country will become a mirror of the one everybody is fleeing from.
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-27-18 at 07:23 AM.

Meanwhile, in Trump World we are seeing an age-old company picking up a significant stake of its company and moving production overseas. Harley Davidson will be shuttering a plant in Kansas City, MO in order to shift production overseas to Thailand in an effort to offset the quickly growing tariffs stemming from the current trade war. Trump vows to tax their pants off in response. Meanwhile, 800 good paying jobs will be decimated.

I suppose we should all look back at the tax bill ushered in by this administration as a key indicator of all the winning that was supposed to result from the huge giveaway to large corporations such as Harley Davidson. Harley Davidson is also pointing its finger at slumping domestic sales as another reason for the move.

Perhaps the middle class has been so swindled over the past 40 years that they simply do not have the discretionary savings to afford such luxuries anymore. Well, we could have given the largest part of the tax break to individual households, but companies like Carrier and Harley Davidson were expected to do what was right with there windfall. Still waiting on all that winning!

Thanks, Obama!

https://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...ld-trump-jobs/

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...y-donald-trump

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trum...ry?id=56165790

Gallon of Gas - June 2017 _
    $2.262
    Gallon of Gas - June 2018 _
    $2.846
    https://gasprices.aaa.com/
    Thanks, Obama!

Oh, and Canada now hates us.
    Thanks, Obama!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yep, a mirror indeed!

I think the hatred for Trump and his particular handling of immigration et al has blinded many to the fact that immigration laws exist for a reason.

At the extreme you now have some protestors demanding completely OPEN BORDERS as a response to and edict to Trump exclusively.

Umm, have we forgotten we have only so many resources? Does even liberal Canada allow everyone in?

Do they have open borders? NO.

I want to us help as many as possible but we need not look far for children in distress; we have under-served, poor children and destitute families right here in Detroit.

We need immigration reform that allows sustainability of our nation.

No president seems to want to deal with that, just kicking the can down the road.
    The tent city in Texas houses 320 teenagers at $700 per teenager per day that is $220,000 per day.

If we invested those same funds in our own children first we would not have an issue.

Once our own are taken care of first then we can visit others.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Meanwhile, in Trump World we are seeing an age-old company picking up a significant stake of its company and moving production overseas. Harley Davidson will be shuttering a plant in Kansas City, MO in order to shift production overseas to Thailand in an effort to offset the quickly growing tariffs stemming from the current trade war. Trump vows to tax their pants off in response. Meanwhile, 800 good paying jobs will be decimated.

I suppose we should all look back at the tax bill ushered in by this administration as a key indicator of all the winning that was supposed to result from the huge giveaway to large corporations such as Harley Davidson. Harley Davidson is also pointing its finger at slumping domestic sales as another reason for the move.

Perhaps the middle class has been so swindled over the past 40 years that they simply do not have the discretionary savings to afford such luxuries anymore. Well, we could have given the largest part of the tax break to individual households, but companies like Carrier and Harley Davidson were expected to do what was right with there windfall. Still waiting on all that winning!

Thanks, Obama!

https://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...ld-trump-jobs/

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...y-donald-trump

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trum...ry?id=56165790

Gallon of Gas - June 2017 _
    $2.262
    Gallon of Gas - June 2018 _
    $2.846
    https://gasprices.aaa.com/
    Thanks, Obama!

Oh, and Canada now hates us.
    Thanks, Obama!
    Harley Davidson was on the skids before the big push on motorcycles are cool
    that fad is over with,so everybody in the motorcycle industry was going to feel the pain,a $30,000 HD in the US could be shipped and sold in Australia for $60,000

They were no different then everybody else during the boom and expanded like crazy and now their correction was inevitable,personally I think they were already on borrowed time.

When was the last time you saw a 30 something on a HD?

Thier target market is getting old and wiser to the wako drivers that take the enjoyment out,I have one sitting in my garage that I have not ridden in over 7 years.It is like playing Russian roulette with the morons and Thier self centered cell phones.

Why was there a $30,000 difference from one country to another,and when there is,does that not make it feasible to produce in that country?

Summer is coming up and travel season,gas is going to go up because it can.
    It is more noticeable down here in tourist season versus off season.

So just throwing numbers out there is tough without looking at driving factors.

It is no different in Canada then it is here,the loudest ones are the ones that whine the most to suit the agenda of the day,the rest figure it out,so I kinda doubt that we are off of their Christmas list.
    Last edited by Richard; June-26-18 at 10:51 AM.

Harley Davidson isn't shifting production overseas because of the new tariffs, they're just using the tariffs as cover for their actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Harley Davidson isn't shifting production overseas because of the new tariffs, they're just using the tariffs as cover for their actions.
    But.... but, the GOP gave them a big old tax decrease. That should have been the catalyst for them to create jobs and keep investment here in America. Ya know..... the "trickle down" theory that was sold to the taxpayers for like, the 35th time in 40 years?

Trump ran on creating and keeping jobs IN AMERICA as well. I'll say it again so nobody misses it: KEEPING JOBS IN AMERICA. You know this. I know this. We all heard it.

Meanwhile, it's business as usual for big corporations shipping jobs overseas. #MAGA

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    There is probably some truth the Harley's claim. That and the fact that Harley can hire cheaper labor in places like Vietnam, cheaper than union labor in Milwaukee, and pocket the profit. Maybe they can even produce cheaper bikes in Asia and import them to Europe without having to pay an import tax.

As Richard suggested, the fad is over. Millennials probably don't care as much about the Easy Rider mystique as baby boomers. Harley needs to find some new markets. Electric bikes will soon outperform motor bikes anyway. Even Harley will be marketing electric bikes but the market might be different from Harley's traditional market.

Thier decline started 4 years ago and had a 29 million $ product recall that hurt.

They became an expensive hobby,I do not know which one was worse boating or Harley.

[COLOR=var[[--body-5_-_color)]Harley's foreign competitors have benefited from a strong U.S. dollar, as their overseas operations have made it more profitable to sell bikes in the U.S. at lower prices.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=var[[--body-5_-_color)]In some cases, Diedrich said, prices of Japanese motorcycles have come down 25% and discounts ranged up to $3,000 per bike.

[/COLOR]
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ll/1078008001/

They actually announced it back in January before even the tariffs were serious.

But in comparison You can buy a nice comfortable BMW sport tourer that has more power,rides more comfortable,more options already included,more fuel efficiency,more reliable without the continued monthly maintenance at at way lessor price.

Now days unless you are a doctor or lawyer or supplement your income in other ways they lost the mainstream market and fell out of touch,little to do with tariffs.

The board of directors already laid the groundwork for the move back in 2014,they built a plant in Taiwan because they were being charged 60% import tax.

Imagine that Asian countries bring thier motorcycles here and enjoy the market almost import tax free but yet charge Harley 60% tax to import thier bikes there.

The only time people get pissed about trade and tariffs is when they lose the distinct advantage.If it was fair,no reason to get upset. Common sense.
    Last edited by Richard; June-26-18 at 02:37 PM.

I always find it curious when Republicans can acknowledge the obvious trend of millennials having no interest in riding Harleys, but if you try to stretch the same reality to guns and hunting, they just can't see the light.

Last year I had the pleasure of visiting Great Sand Dunes Nat'l Park in Colorado at the foot of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. President Trump just allowed this genius move. https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/25/opini...ler/index.html

Having spent a couple days in Alamosa, I have no doubt the locals are going to make their feelings known about this very ignorant and short-sighted decision. It's akin to looking at Ole Faithful to your left, and turning right and seeing an oil rig.
    https://www.chieftain.com/news/puebl...bd6a2299b.html
    Last edited by Bong-Man; June-27-18 at 07:12 AM.

Page 53 of 207 FirstFirst ... 3 43 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 63 103 153 ... LastLast