Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 142 of 207 FirstFirst ... 42 92 132 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 152 192 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,550 of 5151

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby_ View Post
    Trump will be impeached by the House of Representatives. The Senate is a different story. IMO McConnell won't bring it to the floor however, I saw him today in an interview and he said he would bring it to the floor like the Senate rules dictate.
    You might be referring to CNBC's McConnell: Senate would have to take up impeachment vote if House approved.

I'm hip. The impeachment process alone will help the dems put forth somebody...... finally. It'll be a mess for this country but uh, hey whatever.

Full steam ahead, it's about getting rid of the dump-Trump post-haste. I'm listening carefully to what Schiff and Pelosi yah-dah are saying and not saying; what rules of law are applied, altered and set aside.

Impeachment is very serious -- yet I'm almost looking forward to #45 leaving office in this manner as it is getting pretty disturbing to see the fascism justified and increasing in so many areas and rules twisted to get him out. It seems boundless.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby_ View Post
    Trump will be impeached by the House of Representatives. The Senate is a different story. IMO McConnell won't bring it to the floor however, I saw him today in an interview and he said he would bring it to the floor like the Senate rules dictate.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-30-19 at 08:44 PM.

Richard;580610]

Then President Roseavelt won the re-election based on he would not bring the US into WW2,80% of the population did not want to enter.
    Maybe you're thinking of Woodrow Wilson? His slogan was "He kept us out of war."

Useing back channels he reassured the brits that they would be supported by the US,there was a clerk at the US embassy in London that was secretly making copies of all the communications in order to turn over to the Republicans back in the states.

8 hours before his flight back to the states word got out and he was picked up by M6 along with 60,000 documents.

If he had made that flight,Roseavelt would had been immediately removed from office and history would have changed.

When we look at what is happening in the realm of politics,if one really delves into history,everything that can happen,has already happened in the past but they lead you to believe that everything happening is unprecedented.

When we see the economy impacts elections it is because in spite of serving 3 terms in the White House and with full democratic house and senate,Roseavelts tenure was considered by many a failure because he could never pull the working class out of the throws of the depression.
    Are you talking about The Lend/Lease Act? First, if it was a secret between Great Britain and the US, there wouldn't be 60,000 documents on the matter. Just out of curiosity, had there been 60,000 documents showing how Roosevelt circumvented congress, how would they make copies?

Seriously, Lend/Lease wasn't a secret. Roosevelt told the country about it in a Fire Side Chat. He likened it to "helping to put out the fire in your neighbor's house before your own house caught fire and burned down."

The Lend-Lease Act was passed by Congress on March 11, 1941. It provided that the US could ship weapons, food, or equipment to any country whose struggle against the Axis assisted U.S. defense.

^ so you just picked lend lease out of your head and created a whole discussion dispute about that?

How would have lend lease and congress even be in the picture of it was pre public involvement?

I did post HE as in Roseavelt alone was in discussions,nobody else.

I am not sure on your confusion on how they could not make copies,they did not have Internet back then and you could not just call anybody in England at home.

At that time a majority of the country did not even have electricity let alone a phone,I have a friend whose father paid $5000 in 1933 to have electricity put in thier house.

1 light bulb,1 plug in per room. That is equivalent to $76,813,00 in today’s money,There was no electric devices because very few had electricity,messages were sent from the telegraph office and delivered or picked up.

The White House had teletype that went to the London embassy and then was channeled from there,by runners.

He could not even have been discussing lend lease because we had no military to speak of,we were useing cardboard tanks and wooden sticks for training what we had,lend lease was not even a viable subject at the time.

I teletype ticker can contain 3 words so it is easy to create thousands of copied documents.

You are wondering how the guy made copies? Maybe he had a pen and wrote everything down?

While you are checking on your history,check out how a Democratic President Roseavelt supported the Democrat leaders in the South who supported segregation because he needed the votes,he looked the other way,he bought Hot Springs in Georgia that had white only fountains and toilets.

It was only his wife that pressured him into passing a federal law against lynching,that was because she had him over a barrel because she caught him cheating on her and the family thought it would have been to disruptive and his political career would have been over,if they divorced.

None of that stuff is a well kept secret and is easy searched.
    Last edited by Richard; September-30-19 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I'm hip. The impeachment process alone will help the dems put forth somebody...... finally. It'll be a mess for this country but uh, hey whatever.

Full steam ahead, it's about getting rid of the dump-Trump post-haste. I'm listening carefully to what Schiff and Pelosi yah-dah are saying and not saying; what rules of law are applied, altered and set aside.

Impeachment is very serious -- yet I'm almost looking forward to #45 leaving office in this manner as it is getting pretty disturbing to see the fascism justified and increasing in so many areas and rules twisted to get him out. It seems boundless.
    Its a double edged sword for the Dems,if they do an impeachment trial,in Trumps defense he can call whoever they want to the stand.

That can open a whole Pandora’s box where the Dems do not want to go.

To me they are hedging bets that it will die in the senate,they look at it like they have nothing to show for thier time to the voters on gun control,immigration and healthcare,so they are going to clog up the system so the republicans have no wins to capitalize on in 2020 either.

This morning Schiff announced twice that he had reached a deal with the whistleblowers attorney in order for he/she testify.

The whistleblowers attorneys sent out an announcement that said,no deal has been discussed.

But yet through out the day he still stood by he had made a deal,the attorneys can drag this out and the whistleblower still cannot be forced to testify under condition of anonymity.

If the Dems break that cloak,then the whole whistleblower program is finished in the future.

^^^ Well if you're a low-information 'get him at ALL costs' voter/ thinker it's in the bag--done. Trump's busted--bye! But the bigger picture is the means of getting him 'bye! There will be a price.

Further, with Sanders possibly out now, and Warren up next [[Biden's going to be toast behind this Ukraine deal along with Trump - an odd two-fer there), there's going to be more surprises ahead.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-03-19 at 07:18 AM.

Republican Congressman Chris Collins, notorious for being the first GOP member of Congress to endorse Donald Trump in 2016, has just plead guilty to two felony counts related to insider trading and has resigned his seat in Congress in disgrace:

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...nts-in-insider

Collins also served on Trump's Presidential Transition Team. Birds of a feather...

Fun fact, the second sitting GOP Congressman to endorse Trump in 2016 was none other than Duncan Hunter...who is currently under felony indictment for embezzling hundreds of thousands of dollars in campaign funds to pay for his extramarital affairs.

North Korea successfully test-fires a submarine-launched ballistic missile capable of carrying a nuclear warhead:

https://thehill.com/policy/internati...-new-submarine

Which is a weird turn of events, because I distinctly remember some orange guy swearing to all of us that North Korea was no longer a threat, that they had agreed to denuclearize, and that they weren't testing missiles anymore as a personal favor to him.

^^^They never stopped. And correct me if I'm wrong, but they did so not long after their dog and pony show.

I, in my great and unmatched wisdom,

Name:  1468125648473.jpg
Views: 3561
Size:  22.6 KB

Triggered?

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    ^^^They never stopped. And correct me if I'm wrong, but they did so not long after their dog and pony show.

Speaking of dog and pony shows, I see Dems be starting up another impeachment proceeding again. How many does this make now?

Reactionary Trump announces pull from Syria. How many Kurds will die behind this action? What's he thinking? More support. Um, no....

Can't make this right. I have no obligation to do so as an independent.

Trump ignores his own warning in Syria

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/07/opinions/trump-syria-us-troops-withdrawal-bergen/index.html

Trump sells out the Kurds in his own unique way

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...wn-unique-way/

I agree with President Trumps statement of,how long are we going to be over there?

We have our mission,get rid of the terrorists,everybody else over there has thier own mission,everybody just becomes bed partners as a means to an end.

History has proven,just because they are our friends today it does not mean they will be tomorrow.

If Turkey invades they will not feed and clothe the 10,000 ISIS fighters imprisoned,they will just bury them,think we are going to change thousands of years of religious fighting over there is crazy.

We did what we set out to do,no way in the world we are going to completely wipe out ISIS,the objective was to remove thier capability to occupy a land mass and organize,let Turkey pound on them for awhile.

What is really interesting is Burma systematically rounded up and forced out,one way or another,millions of Muslims.

China rounds them up and sticks them up in a dead zone,out of site out of mind,they can not go outside of thier zone.

Outside of a staged shock from the UN,nobody cared or did anything there.
    Last edited by Richard; October-08-19 at 09:45 AM.

^^^ But who does this so abruptly, seemingly without any form of a plan. And TELLS ALL. Leaving the Kurds like that.

If the Turks retaliate then what? What of the Christian Kurd populations?

If this were Obama the repubs would be TOO outraged. Sounds completely rash and not planned out to me.

What does this herky-jerky action tell our allies?

Donald Trump defends Syria policy, saying US is not abandoning Kurds by withdrawing troops
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-08-19 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    North Korea successfully test-fires a submarine-launched ballistic missile capable of carrying a nuclear warhead:

https://thehill.com/policy/internati...-new-submarine

Which is a weird turn of events, because I distinctly remember some orange guy swearing to all of us that North Korea was no longer a threat, that they had agreed to denuclearize, and that they weren't testing missiles anymore as a personal favor to him.
    aj, So what do you suggest? Surely, if you have criticisms about Kim walking away from peace talks you must have some possible solutions. What will it be then, should Trump stop trying, should he just do a phot op looking into N. Korea with binoculars like past presidents, should more sanctions be imposed, should Trump threaten Kim...what? Democrats control the House but I haven't heard from them lately about any Kim initiatives. Maybe they are busy with other matters. Tulsi Gabbard is the only Democratic presidential candidate, not in a hospital, with any sort of a peace record. I suspect she would talk to Kim too just as she talked to Assad.

It seems like in the past you criticized Trump's conversations with Kim and then criticized Trump for not talking to Kim but without offering your solutions. Now is your chance.

Zacha, A Syrian refugee in Germany just hijacked a semi and ran it into traffic injuring some people. Turkey has been hosting 3M refugees but wants to get rid of them. Trump doesn't want them. I don't like Erdogen. I don't like Turkey's history of pogroms against Kurds and Armenians. However, somewhere along the way, the U.S. became a NATO ally of Turkey entailing responsibilities toward Turkey. Turkey allowed the U.S. to have bases in Turkey to fight the Iraq and Afghan war. The Kurds have more recently been our good allies against ISIS while Turkey seemed to be playing both sides. I think we owe something to both Turkey and the Kurds. They are both our allies but enemies of each other. That being the situation, it's tricky making everyone happy.

Presidents, as Commanders in Chief, carry out wars and can order the troops back home. Congress declares wars. The nearest Congress came to declaring war in Syria might be its authorization to fight terrorism anywhere. Congress needs to give instructions to the President to clarify how it wants him to carry out this war on terrorism and better define what we are doing there. Otherwise, Trump can just bring the troops home.

Maybe some other NATO country will offer to spell the US in Syria. Why is the US doing this by itself if it is? Rand Paul responded that the only about 150 U.S. troops are in the border of Syria that Erdogen intends to invade. If that is true, maybe Canada, Germany or other NATO allies could replace our troops with its own.

"The United States was supposed to be in Syria for 30 days, that was many years ago," Trump said. "We stayed and got deeper and deeper into battle with no aim in sight. When I arrived in Washington, ISIS was running rampant in the area."

When he announced military action in Syria in 2013, Obama pledged U.S. ground forces would not be deployed there. “I will not put American boots on the ground in Syria," he said. "I will not pursue an open-ended action like Iraq or Afghanistan."
    Rand Paul: It's Not U.S. Responsibility 'to Fight Every War and Find Every Peace'

^^^ But who does this so abruptly, seemingly without any form of a plan. And TELLS ALL. Leaving the Kurds like that.

If the Turks retaliate then what? What of the Christian Kurd populations?

If this were Obama the repubs would be TOO outraged. Sounds completely rash and not planned out to me.

What does herky-jerky action tell our allies?

Donald Trump defends Syria policy, saying US is not abandoning Kurds by withdrawing troops
    He said he was going to do it on the campaign trail,so it was a matter of time,that’s the difference,right or wrong he does do what he says he is going to do.

Turkey has also supported millions of Syrian refugees sense this started,it is time for them to go home,they already have launched missiles and airstrikes,they want to create somewhat of a border buffer zone.

They had to build up forces,so what was going to happen was already known about months ago.

All we really had there was observation posts and provided air support with 500 troops,it not like we have whole divisions to pull out.

The Kurds just need to sit down with Assad and have him carve out a chunk of land for them.

I think the herky-jerky part is a positive,The President has been telling our allies that it is time to step up to the plate in involvement and funding,what will happen is it should weed out the ones that are friends based on only what we can do for them today.

I would rather have them turn on us now verses stabbing us in the back when we least expect it,the Kurds have survived for thousands of years they will be just fine.

They say they are mad because they lost 11,000 fighting,what were they fighting for? They were not our paid army.

Technically we have not been in a war sense WW2,Trump can cancel out actions at will.
    Last edited by Richard; October-08-19 at 03:39 PM.

What does this herky-jerky action tell our allies?
    Don't trust the United States of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    I, in my great and unmatched wisdom,

Name:  1468125648473.jpg
Views: 3561
Size:  22.6 KB
    Name:  I think I just threw up in my mouth .jpg
Views: 3101
Size:  58.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post

Maybe some other NATO country will offer to spell the US in Syria. Why is the US doing this by itself if it is? Rand Paul responded that the only about 150 U.S. troops are in the border of Syria that Erdogen intends to invade. If that is true, maybe Canada, Germany or other NATO allies could replace our troops with its own.
    For the moment, I'm not going to argue the guts of the move or the details.

My only comment would be Canada might help out....but then again we might be a bit busy.

This is a list of current 'public' operations in the middle east.

Operation ARTEMIS CAF maritime security and counter-terrorism operations in the Arabian Sea.
    Operation CALUMET CAF role in the Multinational Force and Observers [[MFO) in the Sinai Peninsula of Egypt.
    Operation FOUNDATION CAF role in United States Central Command Headquarters, United States Air Forces Central Headquarters, and Combined Maritime Forces Headquarters.
    Operation IMPACT CAF role in the international coalition to assist local security forces who are fighting against Daesh in the Republic of Iraq and in Syria.
    Operation JADE CAF role in the United Nations Truce Supervision Organization [[UNTSO).
    Operation PROTEUS CAF role in the Office of the U.S. Security Coordinator to build security capacity in the Palestinian Authority.

This is the current European deployment:

Operation IGNITION CAF periodic role in a NATO security mission for Iceland. Mission involves airborne surveillance and interception.
    Operation KOBOLD CAF contribution to the NATO Kosovo Force [[KFOR).
    Operation OPEN SPIRIT CAF role to help clear explosive remnants of war in the Baltic Sea. A number of other countries take part. The annual mission is hosted by the three Baltic nations.
    Operation REASSURANCE CAF support to NATO’s defence and deterrence measures in Central and Eastern Europe.
    Operation SNOWGOOSE CAF role in the United Nations Force in Cyprus [[UNFICYP).
    Operation UNIFIER CAF military training and capacity-building operation in Ukraine.

Then there's the current African deployment:

Operation EDIFICE-Tunisia Once a year, the CAF conducts combined training with the Tunisian Navy.
    Operation CROCODILE CAF role in supporting the United Nations mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
    Operation FREQUENCE CAF strategic airlift support to France between France and the Sahel region of Africa.
    Operation NABERIUS CAF mission in Niger to train the Forces armées nigériennes
    Operation PRESENCE The CAF’s contribution to the Government of Canada’s peace operations strategy.
    Operation PROJECTION The CAF operates in maritime enviroments around the world to improve peace and stability.
    Operation SOPRANO CAF role in the United Nations Mission in the Republic of South Sudan [[UNMISS).

Btw, I don't put that there to suggest Canada is special etc.

Rather to point out that U.S. allies may already be busy helping out around the world.

I'm omitting a variety of other operations.

^ I do not know why you guys are falling into the trap of Africa,Sudan,Niger Congo,the Chinese love it.

We all go in there and deal with the turmoil while they come in behind us buying up cities for the resources.

The only value placed on humans there is slaves,women and children sex workers,it is one of the few countries left where you can actually buy another human being.

We should have done our nuclear testing over there instead of the atolls.