Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 133 of 207 FirstFirst ... 33 83 123 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 143 183 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,325 of 5151

What is the difference between a commentator verses an investigative reporter?

An investigative reporter would have called in a court reporter and taken statements as proof,without that it becomes he said she said.

Anybody can write thier opinion as a commentator and include false information,as we have seen in the past,then print a retraction weeks later after the intended damage was already done.

If what he wrote was factual,you do not think that every democrat politician would not be up in arms and holding house investigations within the hour?
    Last edited by Richard; August-28-19 at 10:35 PM.

Interesting how not much has changed sense 1934.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qhRX5dQEBGA

Richard wrote:
    I wonder who is paying for this and what happens when the amount of illegals settling in Boston for free healthcare overwhelms the financials of the hospital and they have to shut the door like many across to country have.
    oladub wrote:It's rough on illegal non-citizens who come here expecting free medical care. It's a matter of life and death in some cases.
    Just to clarify, these folks aren't "illegal." All had been granted “medical deferred action,” an extremely difficult to obtain special status that allows applicants to come into the country, and visitors to remain in the country legally while they receive treatment for dire health conditions.

If the Trump administration wanted to end the policy, isn't it more humane to end the program, but allow those already approved to remain and continue treatment?

PS. Sorry about your mom Richard. I can relate. My mother died when she was 34 due to a doctor's error.

Of course you saw that coming right?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    What is the difference between a commentator verses an investigative reporter?

An investigative reporter would have called in a court reporter and taken statements as proof,without that it becomes he said she said.

Anybody can write thier opinion as a commentator and include false information,as we have seen in the past,then print a retraction weeks later after the intended damage was already done.

If what he wrote was factual,you do not think that every democrat politician would not be up in arms and holding house investigations within the hour?
    It isn't commentary. The NY Times ran a similar story. Generally, journalists aren't going make stuff up and share with the competition. If they did, the real story would be...."Paper makes up story and shares with competition."

I suspect what happened is different individuals in the room when Trump said this called their preferred reporter and leaked the info to force Trump to backtrack. Former members of the administration have said time and again that Trump doesn't listen. The White House didn't deny the story. They said he was just kidding, which means he said it.

Yea who the hell this Trump guy think he is with wanting to complete a border wall?

Next thing you know foreign governments will be building bridges over river borders and acquiring the property needed in the exact same way,I cannot believe he is such a stupid,lawless,ignorant and shallow person to even think about doing that.

I think it is kinda ironic though,supporting and providing refuge for those breaking the laws while getting upset about a perceived notion that somebody is breaking the law.

It just does not make any sense.
    Shame on me for thinking the selling of pardons is wrong. /s

Now I have to call Guinness World Records back and cancel my submission for the longest post on the internet.
    Sorry if it was too much. I pasted the article because of the trouble you had with a reply that contained a link I posted.

The best use for #3293 is to print it out and wipe your ass with it.
    Last edited by coracle; August-29-19 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby_ View Post
    Of course you saw that coming right?
    I see that coming every time there's a news story about anything he did. The "amazing" was facetious

Sorry if it was too much. I pasted the article because of the trouble you had with a reply that contained a link I posted.
    I'm sure if you go back a day or two on any of the threads he posts on, you'll find one that's as least as long and makes much less sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I'm sure if you go back a day or two on any of the threads he posts on, you'll find one that's as least as long and makes much less sense.
    Why not help her out? She may have still been working in Afghanistan at the time and missed it.

Certainly if she adds them all together they might qualify as far as length is concerned.
    Last edited by coracle; August-29-19 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    You are giving me to much credit with ONE post,if one does not understand the context of a post I am sure there are many.

The difference is all the posts of the discussion are there for one to read in order gain the context,so at least they have the ability to do so if they choose.

So a newspaper commentary,as it is written clearly at the top of the article,reports that Trump said he would give pardons if somebody broke the laws in getting wall built.

In reporting they did not print the entire discussion so we could put it in context,to me he was being sarcastic because when you guys were the Russians did it obsessed,everybody was throwing the whole theory that people could lie for Trump and he could just pardon them if they were caught.

But that would be my personal theory based on information advailable,the only information made advailable is that which is skirting a line that is open to interpretation to whichever way the individual wishes to take it.

That was the idea of it all.

One poster discusses how horrible Trump is for deporting those under serious medical care,then posts about how those are people under a humanitarian visa,Trump cannot override a judges decision on visas,remember it was already determined when it came to Muslims.

So let’s take Trump is a,whatever derogatory name we can come up with,is deporting people under medical care,when he clearly cannot,and use that to feed the flames of anti Trump.

Trump has a black car that he uses while in Florida,with the sun black cars adsorb heat to the point where you cannot place your hand on them when in direct sunlight.

So Trump decides to have it repainted white in order to reflect the suns rays.

The headline reads,Trump changes paint color of his car from black to white.

Twitter and forum posters jump on the bandwagon of Trump is racist because he changed the paint color of his car from black to white.

The reasons he did it will not be printed because the newspaper knows leaving that out will generate clicks and after all it is really about selling the news and it would have been a non story had they entered all the facts or context.

They either really good at emotional manipulation with thier reader base or the reader base is really easy to manipulate.

my bad,I thought you were serious when you posted that you had a thick skin,I will try and be a little more delicate in my future replies.

You were the poster,I do not care if you post 10,000 pages,Life is to short for me to be the posting length police,it is just that it is probably not conducive to chastise others about thier posting content length when you do not know in the future the length of post you will submit in order to try and get your point across.

Thank you for the condolences with the case of my mother,we can relate to nobody is perfect all of the time.
    Last edited by Richard; August-29-19 at 08:40 AM.

Just to clarify, these folks aren't "illegal." All had been granted “medical deferred action,” an extremely difficult to obtain special status that allows applicants to come into the country, and visitors to remain in the country legally while they receive treatment for dire health conditions.

If the Trump administration wanted to end the policy, isn't it more humane to end the program, but allow those already approved to remain and continue treatment?

PS. Sorry about your mom Richard. I can relate. My mother died when she was 34 due to a doctor's error.
    100,000 illegal non-citizens have been caught illegally crossing our southern border monthly in recent months. ICE thinks that represents about 54% of attempted illegal boarder crossings. That means that 90,000, or so, are managing to successfully invade our country monthly. In addition, an estimated 40% of illegal non-citizens present came in legally but overstayed their visas. Official guesses are that there are about 11M such illegal non-citizens here. That 11M guess never changes although maybe 90,000 are added monthly. Obama judges won't let us find out with the Census.

You must be instead referring to people with visas who come in through the alternative legal immigration system and excluding other illegal uninsured non-citizens and their children who show up in emergency wards for free health care. It would indeed be more humane to end the program and allow those approved who applied before coming here legally to temporarily stay here. Which Democrats offered that option? The last time they were counted, all 10 Democratic presidential candidates on stage raised their hands in favor of providing free medical care to illegal non-citizens. There are about 7,400,000,000 people in the world who aren't American. It would be even more humane to send U.S. tax dollars to those countries so they could obtain many of the same treatments locally for pennies on the dollar. More could be treated for the same cost. Better yet, ending illegal immigration could free domestic resources no longer available to American citizens. Who knows? Maybe Americans who vote for open border Democrats and Republicans would be happy to dig into their own pockets.

Next thing you know foreign governments will be building bridges over river borders and acquiring the property needed in the exact same way,I cannot believe he is such a stupid,lawless,ignorant and shallow person to even think about doing that.
    Um, no, not the exact same way. There is a LEGAL PROCESS. Trump is saying "screw the legal process - take the land, and I will issue pardons. WHAT do you NOT understand about that?

,supporting and providing refuge for those breaking the laws .
    Guess what? There is NO law against seeking refuge. And when these people are seeking refuge from drug gangs - whose leaders in Guatemala and Honduras were trained by the CIA under Reagan, Bush, Clinton & Bush - we kinda owe them for fucking up their countries worse than they were fucked up before.

Your amusing lack of anything approaching intellect continues to amaze

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post

Thank you for re-airing it “long” after it had been forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Um, no, not the exact same way. There is a LEGAL PROCESS. Trump is saying "screw the legal process - take the land, and I will issue pardons. WHAT do you NOT understand about that?

Guess what? There is NO law against seeking refuge. And when these people are seeking refuge from drug gangs - whose leaders in Guatemala and Honduras were trained by the CIA under Reagan, Bush, Clinton & Bush - we kinda owe them for fucking up their countries worse than they were fucked up before.

Um,no,you took a comment that was in the news paper and equaled it in your mind into a fact.

Not to even mention the process was explained in the same article,the only thing you saw was Trump said this.

WHAT do YOU not understand about that?

In your refugees outlook,they are coming from countries that have millions of other citizens,if millions of their fellow countrymen felt that it was necessary to flee how come they are not?

Lets be realistic,they are fleeing for economic reasons because they do not realize that it is not different in this country when it comes to money.

If you do not have any money it sucks.

The only thing this country provides,so far anyways,is the opportunity that they will never see in thier country.

They have free healthcare but no other social programs,by most reasoning the poor in this country could flee to another and live off if the benefits,but they cannot.

That is what one of the whole Brexit drawbacks and open borders.

You could go from a country that offered no social programs into England and apply and received thier liberal benefit package,the return back to your home country and still get a check in the mail.
    Last edited by Richard; August-29-19 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    By all means, print it off, put it in your outhouse.

my bad,I thought you were serious when you posted that you had a thick skin,I will try and be a little more delicate in my future replies.
    I apologized because I thought the length of the post was an inconvenience to you. I wasn't hurt or offended.

^ lol no need to apologize on post length,on the list of things that I would worry about inconvenience to me,a post is not even in the same drawer as the list.

I can be sarcastic at times.

^^^Unfortunately there isn’t any room left on the hook. I’m still wiping through your earlier posts.
    Last edited by coracle; August-29-19 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Yes, that is the title of the article that is not substantiated in the article. As such, the title qualifies as false news. Trump's biggest mistake here was mentioning his proposal before actually meeting with the Danish Prime Minister. He should have expected that any proposal he publicly makes is ridiculed. Trump and the Danish Prime Minister were both undiplomatic.

Truman offered $100M for Greenland but somehow Truman isn't ridiculed for the same idea. After all, the Gadsden Purchase, the Mexican Concession, the Louisiana Purchase and Alaska were all purchased. Even if Denmark was willing to sell Greenland, China might have offered more money. After all, China benefitted from a $419B lopsided balance of trade last year.
    I agree the title includes hyperbole. How Trump handled this was idiotic, but not immoral, at least not in the American use of the world. I note that the author is British, and I think their use of the term is more broad over there.

I'm no fan of the Washington Examiner. Many of their articles are poorly written, and I find a lot at fault with their conservative political bent. My purpose for sharing was to show how many conservatives are appalled with Trump too.

You are also right: one of Trump's huge mistakes was in the way he made very public his intentions [[and worse, suggested he'd be doing Denmark a favor) before providing Denmark the common courtesy of first privately discussing the idea with its leaders. The Queen and Prime Minister should not have learned first about the idea, and Trump's notion Greenland "hurts Denmark very badly", on the news. Anyone who knows anything about negotiation should be aghast our President is so incompetent as to have done that.

Trump deserves ridicule not because it would necessarily be a bad idea for the US to purchase Greenland. The problem here, as is so often the case, was his behavior. When the Danish Prime Minister described it as "absurd" not only was she right, she was putting it lightly.

He is a laughingstock. He so cravenly needs attention it betrays an insecurity that must come from the core of his being. Maybe it comes from knowing his success is largely attributable to the hundreds of millions of dollars his father pumped into him. And how even so, how often his businesses failed. Of course he denies any of this is true. He lies about the money inherited. He lies about having borrowed money against his father's vast real estate holdings. He lies about the vast amount of money he lost. Just like he lies about just about everything else.

And he fights tooth and nail to prevent us from knowing the truth. It's why he refuses to release his tax returns. It's why he demands everyone who has ever worked for him to refuse to comply with congressional subpoenas. It's why unlike any other president before him he has threatened to sue former White House staffers to enforce non-discosure agreements he required them to sign, even though they may not even be enforceable. It's why he has threatened legal action against universities he attended to prevent them from releasing his SAT scores or grades. And when he can't lawyer up to prevent the truth from escaping, his tactic is always try to dismiss it as fake news -- an effective propaganda technique since adopted by numerous dictators around the world.

His incompetence, profound insecurity, and pathological lying are far from his only character flaws.

• He is vulgar and crass. And while not in this case, he most certainly is immoral.
    • He is an obvious racist, despite his and his defenders' hollow claims to the contrary. And it is having devastating effect.
    • He is sexist. He has many times over credibly been accused of sexual assault and rape. He is on record bragging about it.
    • He willfully breaks laws it is his duty as president to uphold. He floats pardons for those who will break laws at his bidding.
    • He is corrupt.
    • His giant tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy are contributing heavily to exploding deficits.
    • Those corporate tax cuts also contributed heavily to the artificial gains in the stock market that resulted when companies invested that money in stock buybacks. Many of us saw gains in our retirement accounts, but hedge funds, institutional investors, and other major shareholders [[like the execs) enjoyed the vast share of the profit, as relatively speaking, the rest of us continued to fall behind. And the nearly half of Americans who don't own stocks saw no benefit at all.
    • He is revamping our laws and regulations to destroy the environment in ways even the industrialists think go to far. Here's just the latest example. There have been so many National Geographic has been compiling a running list.
    • He pushes the Fed to adopt monetary policy to boost the economy in the short term at the jeopardy of our economy in the long term. If it lasts until the next election that's good enough for him.
    • He has been attempting to politicize the Fed by stocking it full of sycophants. He even tapped Herman Cain. Because his guiding principle really isn't America First, it's Trump First, at all costs.
    • He has been stacking our courts with judges deemed unqualified at a record pace. They are right-wing ideologues, some so unqualified they never even worked in a court before. A recent one has even stridently argued for national ethnic purity. The nominee also denounced feminists and gay-rights advocates, but in the Trump era, is that even news?
    • He has been carelessly weakening our strategic alliances.
    • He has been cozying up to ruthless dictators, one in particular whom has the destruction of Western democracy as one of his core goals.

Far worse than an utter and total fool, he is a stain on American history. He is a threat to our security. He is destroying our future. The national emergency is not illegal immigration, it is Trump himself.

Others have said it much better, but to again show how people from across the political spectrum are appalled by his behavior, I'll finish with another article from the conservative newspaper that began the conversation:

Trump’s character flaws are threats to stability and peace
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...lity-and-peace
    Last edited by bust; August-29-19 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    100,000 illegal non-citizens have been caught illegally crossing our southern border monthly in recent months. ICE thinks that represents about 54% of attempted illegal boarder crossings. That means that 90,000, or so, are managing to successfully invade our country monthly. In addition, an estimated 40% of illegal non-citizens present came in legally but overstayed their visas. Official guesses are that there are about 11M such illegal non-citizens here. That 11M guess never changes although maybe 90,000 are added monthly. Obama judges won't let us find out with the Census.

You must be instead referring to people with visas who come in through the alternative legal immigration system and excluding other illegal uninsured non-citizens and their children who show up in emergency wards for free health care. It would indeed be more humane to end the program and allow those approved who applied before coming here legally to temporarily stay here. Which Democrats offered that option? The last time they were counted, all 10 Democratic presidential candidates on stage raised their hands in favor of providing free medical care to illegal non-citizens. There are about 7,400,000,000 people in the world who aren't American. It would be even more humane to send U.S. tax dollars to those countries so they could obtain many of the same treatments locally for pennies on the dollar. More could be treated for the same cost. Better yet, ending illegal immigration could free domestic resources no longer available to American citizens. Who knows? Maybe Americans who vote for open border Democrats and Republicans would be happy to dig into their own pockets.
    I am not troubled or concerned about immigrants coming to America, even a little bit. I'm much more concerned with what is happening to them when they get here. Taking into account the possibility that I'm completely wrong, I researched some immigration info.

These facts are courtesy of those bleeding heart liberals over at the Koch funded CATO Institute:

On the Numbers:Immigrants make up approximately 13.5% of the total U.S. population.

More than sixty percent of immigrants in the United States today have lived here for at least 15 years, and the large majority [[76%) of immigrants have lawful status.

More than sixty percent of immigrants in the United States today have lived here for at least 15 years, and the large majority [[76%) of immigrants have lawful status. Of the approximately 43.7 million immigrants in the U.S. in 2016, 20.2 million [[approximately 44.7 percent) were naturalized citizens. Together, lawful permanent residents [[sometimes referred to as green card holders), people in the United States on temporary visas including student and work visas, refugees and people seeking asylum, and undocumented immigrants made up the remaining 55.3 percent of immigrants.
    In 2016, there were 10.7 million undocumented immigrants living in the U.S., or less than 3.5 percent of the nation's population. This represents a significant decrease [[13%) from the 12.2 million undocumented immigrants in the U.S. in 2007, and is the lowest total since 2004.

Taxes

Immigrants collectively pay between $90 and $140 billion each year in taxes, and a recent study found that undocumented immigrants alone pay approximately $11.64 billion in taxes each year. Moreover, undocumented immigrants nationwide pay an estimated 8 percent of their income in state and local taxes [[their effective state and local tax rate), which is higher than the effective tax rate of the top 1 percent of all taxpayers in the U.S.

Everyone pays sales taxes on goods they purchase and property taxes on the homes they buy or rent, and more than half of all undocumented immigrant households file income tax returns using Individual Tax Identification Numbers.

Crime

Studies have consistently found that immigrants are less likely to be incarcerated than native-born Americans and that there is a negative correlation between levels of immigration and crime rates. Other studies have in fact found that crime rates are lowest in states with the highest immigration growth rates, and that states with larger shares of undocumented immigrants tend to have lower crime rates than states with smaller shares.

On Draining the System

On average immigrants pay more in taxes than they receive in benefits, meaning the taxes they pay more than cover the cost of things like public education and healthcare.

With very few exceptions [[such as access to medical care for victims of human trafficking), undocumented immigrants are not eligible for federal public benefits such as Social Security, Medicaid, Medicare and food stamps.

In addition, most immigrants with lawful status are not entitled to these benefits until they have been in the country for five years or longer. This means that Social Security is often being deducted from immigrants’ paychecks but they cannot access those benefits. Eligible immigrants use 27% fewer benefits relative to U.S. natives of similar incomes and ages.

--------------------------------------------------------
    It is my opinion the Trump Administration wants to curtail both illegal and legal immigration:

The administration has all but shut America’s doors to refugees fleeing war, disaster and oppression. They’ve tried to make it impossible to seek asylum if you’re coming from the south. They’ve allowed officials to reject green card applications for trivial paperwork reasons such as a missing blank page, without allowing applicants to fix the errors. They’ve proposed raising immigration filing fees, just to make things more difficult.

And now, they’re following through on a proposal they first suggested not long after President Trump took office and officially unveiled last year, to use a 19th-century “public charge” principle to deny green cards and citizenship to legal immigrants who have ever used a public benefit such as Medicaid, the Children’s Health Insurance Program or food stamps. The policy goes even further:

Factors that can count against a green card applicant include having “a medical condition” that will interfere with work or school; not having enough money to cover “any reasonably foreseeable medical costs” related to such a medical condition; having “financial liabilities;” having been approved to receive a public benefit, even if the individual has not actually received the benefit; having a low credit score; the absence of private health insurance; the absence of a college degree; not having the English language skills “sufficient to enter the job market;” or having a sponsor who is “unlikely” to provide financial support.

Ask yourself, would you be excluded?
    Last edited by Shelby_; August-29-19 at 06:14 PM.

^^^Another two sheets for the hook.

Bust. At this moment who do you fancy to be President as of 2020? Include the 10/20/30 current democrat “hopefuls” and anyone else, like hillary, mooch et al. Name as many as you like.

I’m assuming Donald Trump won’t be amongst your choices.