Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Vintage Hamtramck Campau Street Scene

Name:  Untitled-Scanned-01 copy.jpg
Views: 2861
Size:  206.7 KB
    I just came across this photo that my Dad would have taken in the early 50s. I'm guessing, due to one of the business, that this is Campau in Hamtramck. Does anyone recognize or remember any of these businesses?

Not specifically but of course A&P was a national chain. It's curious to see one in a little storefront like that.
    Last edited by Jimaz; January-01-17 at 05:29 PM.

Hard to nail this down. This link talks about the Dodge Bar at 9119 Jos. Campau: http://goo.gl/W9s0wk

This link talks about Mickey's Dodge Bar, across from Dodge Main: http://goo.gl/96STeS

A&P started with smaller stores - their innovation was including dry goods, meat and dairy in one store, along with low prices. They were the Walmart of their day - their chain forced out many of the mom and pop grocery stores.

I found this ad from a 1953 publication showing Tonnie's at 9111 Campau. None of these buildings are here today according to Google Maps. Name:  t.jpg
Views: 1489
Size:  26.7 KB

Good work people

These buildings stood on the west side of Jos. Campau just south of Holbrook, where the Hamtramck Town Center shopping center is today.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Not specifically but of course A&P was a national chain. It's curious to see one in a little storefront like that.
    When we moved to Rochester in 1954, A&P had just built a larger store, but Kroger still had a small store like this one on the south end of the downtown.

While not that small, Packer's Super market was quite a bit smaller than the Big Bear and the Wrigley's near us in Detroit. None of the supermarkets approached in size what the stores in the burbs now have reached [[not counting the Super Walmarts).

Did you just say Hamtramck had a Kroger? When did they leave town?

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    Hard to nail this down. This link talks about the Dodge Bar at 9119 Jos. Campau: http://goo.gl/W9s0wk

This link talks about Mickey's Dodge Bar, across from Dodge Main: http://goo.gl/96STeS
    Eastside Al mentioned these buildings were where the Hamtramck shopping center is now. When I started hanging around Hamtramck, the New Dodge Bar was next to the McDonald's at 9122 Jos Campau. It's possible it moved across the street. It became the New Dodge Lounge a few years ago and moved south to 8850 Jos Campau.

Its latest inception is the "New" New Dodge Bar. We called it that for a while, as its name next to MdD was just the plain ole' New Dodge Bar.

Eastside beat me to the post.

In the late 60s' there was an A&P in Utica, just N of 20 Mile. The building is still there, it's an auto parts place, but I'm always amazed at how small it is.

Quote Originally Posted by txlady View Post
    In the late 60s' there was an A&P in Utica, just N of 20 Mile. The building is still there, it's an auto parts place, but I'm always amazed at how small it is.
    I remember the 60s Utica A&P being at Hahn & Van Dyke. It's not too small and had a cupula on top at that time. It's a thrift store now.

There was an small A&P in the first floor of the apartment building at Glendale and Woodward in Highland Park. It had to compete with Tom's Market across Woodward. Both the apartment building and Tom's market are probably long gone

I am quite sure I can remember shopping at this A&P as a child. It was located on the west side of Jos. Campau south of Holbrook approximately where Jacob and Hanley intersect from the East. If the address of Tonnie's is 9111 and I know the address of Leo J Miller Funeral Home was 9222 J. Campau, I think that nails it down. It was not too far south from Art's Hardware. I can recall some of the shelves being very high and having to use a long pole with a hand operated clip on it to retrieve some items.
    Also Louie's Tap Room may have been a pool hall but I cannot be sure.

That's a 1952 or 1953 Ford and, I think, 1952 Pontiac and Cadillac.