Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Disney store

Default Disney store

I had noticed that downtown is becoming more child friendly as newbstires and activities had popped up in the area which prompted me to ask would a Disney or Warner Brother's store be a good fit in downtown Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I had noticed that downtown is becoming more child friendly as newbstires and activities had popped up in the area which prompted me to ask would a Disney or Warner Brother's store be a good fit in downtown Detroit?
    Warner Brothers stores all closed maybe 15 years ago, and Disney stores are pretty rare. Most are in megamalls or in extreme high traffic locales [[Times Square). They're almost certainly looking for high income demographic with lots of high-spending mothers and grandmothers [[who typically buy this stuff).

Downtown Detroit wouldn't be a particularly obvious location for a Disney store.

I think that it coiukd work around Campus Martius area. Many didn't think a Nuke store would work in the area but look. This coiuld be a Disney closeout or Disney factory stire

I think that it coiukd work around Campus Martius area. Many didn't think a Nuke store would work in the area but look. This coiuld be a Disney closeout or Disney factory stire
    Disney has a factory store at Great Lakes Crossing. Their regular store is at Somerset. Remember that their demographic is moms/grandmas buying princess dresses for their little ones. Not the same demographic as an athletic shoe store.

Hey, if you think it would work, then pitch it to Bedrock. To me, it doesn't seem to align with tenancy along Woodward, but who knows.

A Nuke store would be perfect in Campus Martius. That was what it was set up for.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    A Nuke store would be perfect in Campus Martius. That was what it was set up for.
    We could call it Nukes Я Us and give Trump an open line of credit.

A Disney Store in Gilberttown Detroit? NO WAY!

A Disney Store pop-up in Gilberttown Detroit? FOR SURE

A Disney Store in Gilberttown Detroit in? 2050 YES!

Let's focus on the real deal. How to get an Apple Store in Gilberttown Detroit! and 10 years later a Microsoft Store.

Calltoaction Guest

Eww, no.

I don't think Gilbert would want that anyway, he's trying to turn Woodward into a luxury shopping avenue for the elite, not a tourist trap. Plus the Detroit hipsters would consider it to be suicide and start running away in every direction as fast as they can.

Leave the Disney shit in Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by Calltoaction View Post
    Eww, no.

I don't think Gilbert would want that anyway, he's trying to turn Woodward into a luxury shopping avenue for the elite
    He is? A "luxury shopping avenue for the elite"? Seriously?

Gilbert would be thrilled to get a major retailer like Disney, BTW. Huge bonus if they were actually paying rent. But it doesn't make sense for either party.

Eww, no.

I don't think Gilbert would want that anyway, he's trying to turn Woodward into a luxury shopping avenue for the elite, not a tourist trap. Plus the Detroit hipsters would consider it to be suicide and start running away in every direction as fast as they can.

Leave the Disney shit in Chicago.
    The demographics are totally wrong but if you think Gilbert wouldn't be thrilled with a signed Disney lease you're crazy. A "tourist trap" on Woodward is hardly something you need to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I had meant Nike

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    A Disney Store in Gilberttown Detroit? NO WAY!

A Disney Store pop-up in Gilberttown Detroit? FOR SURE

A Disney Store in Gilberttown Detroit in? 2050 YES!

Let's focus on the real deal. How to get an Apple Store in Gilberttown Detroit! and 10 years later a Microsoft Store.
    Detroit can't hold on to Staples and Radioshack. I would love to see an Apple Store and Microsoft in downtown even Woodward midtown. I would think the a Disney Store, a Sanders, and a Trek store would make shopping on Merchant's an experience

I had meant Nike

Yes, I figured as much. I thought a Nuke store on the field of Mars was perfect. Couldn't resist.

Calltoaction Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    He is? A "luxury shopping avenue for the elite"? Seriously?

Gilbert would be thrilled to get a major retailer like Disney, BTW. Huge bonus if they were actually paying rent. But it doesn't make sense for either party.
    He absolutely is, he'd love to do the same thing to Washington boulevard.

That's why it's nothing but boutique clothing stores or trendy sports brands. They increase property value just by being there, a middle-class mediocre tourist trap absolutely ruins the appeal, he's aiming for SoHo not Las Vegas. He might put a Disney store in Greektown but not on Woodward.

I would love to see a Disney store either on Woodward or Library street next to the Vault of Midnight, or in the Compuware building

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    We could call it Nukes Я Us and give Trump an open line of credit.
    I was going to go there, but you went there first. Well done.

He absolutely is, he'd love to do the same thing to Washington boulevard.
    Given there isn't a single luxury retailer downtown, and every luxury brand in Michigan is in Somerset, I would say this alleged secret "plan" to turn Campus Martius into a golden ghetto isn't exactly working.

That's why it's nothing but boutique clothing stores or trendy sports brands. They increase property value just by being there, a middle-class mediocre tourist trap absolutely ruins the appeal, he's aiming for SoHo not Las Vegas. He might put a Disney store in Greektown but not on Woodward.
    I have no idea what this means. Have you been to SoHo? It's a giant deluge of shopping tourists; almost impassible during prime hours, an unmatched tourist crush. SoHo has nothing whatsoever to do with downtown Detroit.

And no clue what a children's retailer like Disney has to do with Vegas, what Greektown has to do with children's retail, or why you would think Disney would harm property values [[esp. given the fact that Disney has stores on some of the most expensive RE on the planet, including Times Square and Fifth Ave).

Calltoaction Guest

Yes, and nobody lives in Times Square, it is a tourist wasteland and valuable as commercial real estate in a commercial district. I'm talking about a versatile neighborhood with stylish commercial retail which is certainly the goal in mind. A Disney store would absolutely hurt residential value.

I never mentioned a secret plan or whatever the fuck you're talking about. John Varvatos and Kit and Ace are expensive boutique stores like you would find in a place like SoHo I never said it's on the level of Chanel or a Louis Vuitton store but that is the general direction and concept. Under Armor is also moving in on Woodward, wanna know where in NYC you can find an outlet Under Armor store? oh, that's right, SoHo.

Greektown is the definition of a tourist trap, it is lined with gimmicky restaurants and mediocre retail, it is exactly the place if it ever were to happen where a Disney store would be located. Woodard would not be the place, end of story.

Campus Martius into a golden ghetto isn't exactly working.
    What does this even mean? If you think anywhere within a radius of Campus Martius bares any resemblance of a "ghetto" you're delusional. Gilbert's rebrand of Woodard into a shopping strip is absolutely working and quite rapidly.
    Last edited by Calltoaction; January-02-17 at 12:35 AM.

To me, Disney is no tackier than Chanel or Tiffany's. It's all about creating an interest in a line of products. There is no pick and choose for Woodward and Campus Marius. You can be in a very chic neighborhood in Paris and hit upon a Burger King around the corner from Gucci. It's more important to attract all types of businesses and let the ecosystem take care of the rest.

Incidentally, if you want to have fun and make a strong impression on a date with your new girl when you pass in front of a Gucci boutique and pronounce it: "Gucky".
    As in: "what is that Gucky place? I see shoes and dresses in there...

Disney stores peaked in the 90’s, there was one in the Briarwood Mall. A place to pick-up the latest Disney apparel, all the while a large screen television playing [[blaring) a Disney movie, and a plush obelisk halfway to the ceiling that would make Walt weep. And don’t forget the Ron Lee “limited edition sculptures of fine art”. Starting at around $70.00 for the simple one character pieces, to several hundred dollars for multiple character pieces. In the Ann Arbor location, there was a small table and chairs set up for perspective Disney aficionados to browse their fine art wares, think fine jewelry store.
    Any landlord would love a tenant that has the deep pockets that Disney has.
    I am not a fan, just an uncle that had, and has, a princess [[favorite niece).

Quote Originally Posted by clubboss View Post
    Disney stores peaked in the 90’s, there was one in the Briarwood Mall. A place to pick-up the latest Disney apparel, all the while a large screen television playing [[blaring) a Disney movie, and a plush obelisk halfway to the ceiling that would make Walt weep. And don’t forget the Ron Lee “limited edition sculptures of fine art”. Starting at around $70.00 for the simple one character pieces, to several hundred dollars for multiple character pieces. In the Ann Arbor location, there was a small table and chairs set up for perspective Disney aficionados to browse their fine art wares, think fine jewelry store.
    Any landlord would love a tenant that has the deep pockets that Disney has.
    I am not a fan, just an uncle that had, and has, a princess [[favorite niece).
    But that's not what Disney stores are these days. The last one I was in a couple of years ago was essentially a "princess shop." No wall of plush stuff, no adult clothing at all, no expensive art work -- just Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Frozen etc. clothing and trinkets ad nauseum. The fact that the stores are few and far between these days tells me the market may have peaked for that sort of thing.

Those that remain are also full of Marvel-based kids merchandise [[Spider-Man, Wolverine, Iron Man, etc.); Disney purchased the comic book company back in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Given there isn't a single luxury retailer downtown, and every luxury brand in Michigan is in Somerset, I would say this alleged secret "plan" to turn Campus Martius into a golden ghetto isn't exactly working.
    John Varvatos, Kit and Ace don't count?

would a Disney or Warner Brother's store be a good fit in downtown Detroit?

Well, the ones at Fairlane were such a resounding success and all .....

I still have a Bugs Bunny shirt I got from there though.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    John Varvatos, Kit and Ace don't count?
    I didn't know Kit and Ace was downtown. I guess they could qualify. Did they really sign a normal retail lease? Like 10 years min. and they're actually paying rent? They're a Lululemon spinoff, and maybe not true "luxury" but are certainly high end.

John Varvatos is from Detroit. I personally wouldn't count it. He has always had strong links to Detroit, incorporating Detroit-stuff in his marketing, designed some Chrysler limited edition cars and had close ties to the Greek property owners downtown.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast