Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Paging BigB23

Default Paging BigB23

Payson Wolfe and unidentified boy, at lumber mill below the bluffs at Cross Village.Name:  Payson Wolfe.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  113.1 KB

Thanks for the photo Gaz. I've never seen that one before, and hand colorized to boot!

There is your Michigan bred, Union Army, Indian sharpshooter from my mom's side. I also wish I knew who the boy was. Neighbor ? Family ?

I'm betting the boy was a grandson. Cute little guy. On Facebook the other day, I saw a letter written by Payson Wolfe to his wife while he was in the Sharpshooters. He had beautiful handwriting and he wrote extremely well spelled and grammatical English. I'll see if I can find it and post it here.

Here is the letter from Payson Wolfe to his wife when he was in Co. K, 1st Mich. S.S. guarding Confederate prisoners at Camp Douglas.

Name:  Payson Wolfe letter 1.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  126.3 KB

Name:  Payson Wolfe letter 2..jpg
Views: 437
Size:  133.5 KB

Does the surname Champney ring any bells?