Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 2016 Review: Important Detroit Stories and Events of 2016

What do you think are the important Detroit stories, and events [even announcements] of 2016?

To kick it off here are a few that come to my mind:
    -My favorite is the Historic Buildings being saved

• Stott building restoration/repurposing underway
    • Book Building restoration/repurposing underway
    • Wurlizter Building restoration/repurposing underway
    • Metropolitan Building restoration/repurposing underway
    • Farwell Building restoration/repurposing underway
    • Strathmore restoration completed and opened
    • [and sadly one that fell apart Lee Plaza]

-M1 rail construction completed
    -LED street lighting of Detroit completed
    -Dequindre Extension Opens

-Carry on with yours...

Also, here is Crain's list of 10 of the biggest news stories, issues and trends from 2016. I find some a bit odd and a couple that would fall in the Non-Detroit category.

1. Pistons
    It was barely thinkable when the year started, but next fall, the Detroit Pistons plan to play their games in downtown Detroit.

2. Regional Transit Authority
    The region's 40-year history of failure in attempts to create a comprehensive regional transit system will get a little longer.

3. Election of Trump
    The biggest outcome and surprise of the election was the election of businessman and reality TV star Donald Trump to the presidency.

4. Flint water crisis
    The Flint water crisis started in 2014, but became a national story and an emblem of failing institutions and infrastructure in late 2015 and 2016.

5. Mobility — Willow Run
    The race and competition is on to make the Motor City and Michigan home to the nascent mobility industry.

6. DPS bailout
    The Detroit Public Schools, expected to emerge from state emergency management soon, got a financial lifeline from Lansing with the June signing of a $617 million bailout package by Gov. Rick Snyder.

7. Marijuana
    The controversial business of medical marijuana received a lot of attention in 2016, with a massive expansion and then a crackdown on pot shops, especially in the city of Detroit.

8. Economic development
    The notion of incentives to lure new businesses or help fuel big projects didn't get much love from the Legislature this fall.

9. Adient HQ
    Detroit saw something that almost never happens: A decision to headquarter a Fortune 500 company in the city.

10. Rizzo
    An ongoing corruption investigation into trash hauler Rizzo Environmental Services has resulted in charges against three public officials in Macomb County.

Sorry to disappoint anyone hoping I would discuss something unique [[for me) like neighborhoods beyond downtown, Midtown, Brush Park, etc. although looks like Crains gave other neighborhoods a shout out.

I'll go with the 2016 Lions [[with the caveat that they win tonight or next Sunday night).

A win over the Cowboys AND Packers would be a sign that maybe the end times are coming. Maybe I can find some scripture which foretells that type of occurrence.

A playoff or division winning Lions team is not a common occurrence.

Big shout out to fmr. EMU and Lions' QB, Charlie Batch, who made it to the Bahamas for the EMU Bahamas Bowl game.
    Last edited by emu steve; December-26-16 at 04:06 PM.

I'd just love to have health insurance once again after 29 years with DPD. Oh, I have it, but paying for it myself. But then, I bailed, so no one GAF. My bad.

Something I read more about this year was the desire by many political, corporate and non-profits to get Detroiters trained for work. The city and economy have improved enough that there is work to be had if only its citizens can be made equipped to do it. This will require tremendous perseverance because, as we know, many Detroiters lack basic math, English and communication skills that provide the foundation prior to training in most skilled positions. Criminal records, work ethic, etc. provide a further hindrance for some individuals. To me, this is the single most important and shortest path to improving the city & neighborhoods. It will reduce crime, generate taxes, improve housing stock, etc. Let's hope the effort to get Detroiters working strengthens in 2017.