Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Sink Hole in Fraser Ruins the Holidays

I feel so sorry for these folk in Fraser. It could have been worse had it dropped like a gallows but it's certainly a depressing event for the homeowners and others nearby facing uncertainty about the stability of their property.

What other Metro D sink holes exist? I know there is one that recurs along Middlebelt between 12 and 13 Mile.

[The] house, which is on the corner of 15 Mile Road and Eberlein, was partially collapsed by a sinkhole that endangered other structures and forced the closure of the road in both directions between Hayes and Utica on Saturday, police said. Homeowners on Eberlein quickly evacuated, taking their Christmas celebrations elsewhere while authorities cut power to 875 DTE Energy customers for two to three hours, allowing electrical services to be rerouted around the affected area.

By Saturday afternoon, the shingles on [the] corner house would buckle, and the gutter would be bent...

Authorities said Saturday that it was unclear how large the sinkhole could be, though the source of the problem begins 55 feet underground, where there's an 11-foot-wide sewer line. It was also unclear how long it would take before the area was stabilized, though a state of emergency was in the process of being declared for the city, incident commander and Fraser Public Safety Lt. Mike Pettyes said.

Full Freep article and pictures here>>

There's a good long video report at USA Today: Michigan couple watches home crumble from sinkhole.

They suspect an 11-foot sewer line 58 feet below ground. A similar sinkhole formed nearby in 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    They suspect an 11-foot sewer line 58 feet below ground. A similar sinkhole formed nearby in 2004.
    That's the Oakland-Macomb interceptor.

The last part of the reconstruction project started last year:
    http://www.macombdaily.com/article/M...NEWS/150609817

Looks like they didn't get to this segment in time.

According to WWJ radio, they've begun dumping sewage into the Clinton River to protect basements in Clinton Township.

The river gauge at Garfield & 16½ Mile Rd. [[about 2 miles downriver) is currently forecasted to crest at 0.4 ft [[or 4.8 inches) short of minor flood stage [[16 feet) at about 1AM tomorrow morning due to recent rain & snow melt.

This could get interesting.
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-26-16 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    ... The river gauge at Garfield & 16½ Mile Rd. [[about 2 miles downriver)...
    ... downriver from the sink hole, more specifically.

WWJ: The sewage was released "off Garfield near Clinton River Rd."

... which is so close to that gauge that it's uncertain whether the release was upstream or downstream from the gauge.

If there's a sewage flood near the river, I'd avoid hiking any trails near there for awhile.
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-26-16 at 08:38 PM.

I'm not I'm positive that a homeowners policy covers that damage. I think that shifting of earth MAY be an excluded peril.

We MUST stop discharging untreated sewage into our waterways. It angers me that this is an option that's on the table.

People's basements should fill with shit if their governments are unwilling to build out sufficient sanitary capacity and separate out their storm water systems.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    We MUST stop discharging untreated sewage into our waterways. It angers me that this is an option that's on the table.

People's basements should fill with shit if their governments are unwilling to build out sufficient sanitary capacity and separate out their storm water systems.
    That is disgraceful!

This is OUR world - Human Beings come first - all of our needs are more important than some animal or river.

The government should do everything it can to protect PEOPLE and their property ahead of any "nature". They should dump millions of gallons into the river if even one family's basement is threatened.

You all still didn't understand the meaning of President-Elect Trump's election. This kind of crap is OVER WITH. America is back. DJT will start ripping apart and tossing all of these libtard policies.

This disaster is caused by the ineptitude of the DWSD [[now renamed - putting lipstick on an old, corrupt pig doesn't make it young and honest). The DWSD was run by, ... wait for it .... DEMOCRATS, just like the city and other big cities.

Again, to quote President-Elect Trump - "they've been running your cities for 50 or 100 years. Do you like what you see"?

The DWSD held the suburbs hostage for years, resisting any control or oversight by the voters in the areas that they served. This is what we got from all of those democrat overseers.

And now 15 Mile is going to be closed for 3 years [[not 3 months)!

Despicable.

^^ Perfect example of how low Trumpers are on the evolutionary scale.

Now there's a big gas leak there. It just keeps getting worse.

Hopefully there will not be a problem with looters who seem willing to brave all or ill gotten goods......!

The 15 Mile Rd. sinkhole fault is back with a vengeance. Just like the one that occurred 12 years ago. On 15 Mile Rd. near Moravian Dr. That house near the main road is a total loss. If this sinkhole continues. We might have a new Grand Canyon that swallowed Fraser, Clinton TWP. and Sterling Heights.

Stop Suburban Sprawl NOW!
    Last edited by Danny; December-27-16 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by takascar View Post
    That is disgraceful!

This is OUR world - Human Beings come first - all of our needs are more important than some animal or river.
    Up until we need meat to eat or water to drink...

That is disgraceful!

I sincerely hope that you are nothing but an irritating troll because if you believe this you are too dumb to survive much longer.
    You do realize that the Clinton River runs out to Lake St Clair which in turn runs into the Detroit River which is where we get our drinking water from for a good part of the state. So wanting to keep sewage out of the river IS taking care of Human Beings.
    As I said, I really hope you are trolling because your post is just to insane to be real

Good news is they've stopped dumping the sewage into the Clinton. Also that near-flood I mentioned never happened. The river peaked at 11.66 ft, nowhere near the forecast.

Takascar, your thinking is so absurdly short-sighted.

That river feeds into Lake Saint Clair. Lake Saint Clair feeds into the Detroit River. The Detroit River and Lake Saint Clair is where your drinking water comes from.

Fraser has built their sewage infrastructure in such a short-sighted way that a single failure can cause them to dump RAW FREAKING SEWAGE into the waterway that dumps into the water ways where nearly FOUR MILLION PEOPLE get their drinking water from.

Our rivers are used by the very PEOPLE you want to put first for enjoyment and recreation. I can't kayak in the Clinton River or take my family to Lake Saint Clair if there is RAW SEWAGE in it.

If Fraser residents don't want sewage in their basements, they need to build infrastructure that has ample capacity and is fault tolerant. Dumping directly into the Clinton River SHOULD NOT ever be an option.

I live in Rochester Hills, where we have spent a lot of money to have both storm water and sewage systems. Just because Fraser residents aren't willing to make that same commitment doesn't mean that they get to dump raw sewage into our water when they have a single sewer fail.

That is disgraceful!

The government should do everything it can to protect PEOPLE and their property ahead of any "nature". They should dump millions of gallons into the river if even one family's basement is threatened.

You all still didn't understand the meaning of President-Elect Trump's election. This kind of crap is OVER WITH. America is back. DJT will start ripping apart and tossing all of these libtard policies.

This disaster is caused by the ineptitude of the DWSD [[now renamed - putting lipstick on an old, corrupt pig doesn't make it young and honest). The DWSD was run by, ... wait for it .... DEMOCRATS, just like the city and other big cities.

Again, to quote President-Elect Trump - "they've been running your cities for 50 or 100 years. Do you like what you see"?

The DWSD held the suburbs hostage for years, resisting any control or oversight by the voters in the areas that they served. This is what we got from all of those democrat overseers.

And now 15 Mile is going to be closed for 3 years [[not 3 months)!

Despicable.
    Last edited by Scottathew; December-27-16 at 08:06 PM.

Also, you do understand that 66 million people voted for Clinton, and 63 million voted for Trump. I don't contest Trump won the election, but to proclaim that liberals and environmentalists need to mute themselves is laughable. More people think the way we do than think the way Trump does. Trump won, fairly, because of the electoral college.

Also, you do realize that it's "libtard" polices [[you must really like Jim Fouts) that keep your drinking water safe.

I wish you could live in a seperate Trump-topia planet where you don't have to worry about the environment. You can burn all the fossil fuels you want. You can dump literal raw shit into the same lakes and rivers you get your water from. You can have no regard for anyone but yourselves and use your superior position to screw everything and everyone else over until it all collapses.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai_Hulud View Post
    Up until we need meat to eat or water to drink...
    We don't need any stupid water. We can drink Brawndo! Brawndo - it's what humans crave!

What Would Brawndo Do?

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    We don't need any stupid water. We can drink Brawndo! Brawndo - it's what humans crave!
    Too funny.

From Wikipedia's Idiocracy article:
    During the 2016 presidential primaries, writer Etan Cohen and others expressed opinions that the film's predictions were converging on accuracy, which, during the general election, director Mike Judge also said. Judge also compared Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump to the movie's dim-witted wrestler-turned-president, President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho. When asked about predicting the future, he remarked "I'm no prophet, I was off by 490 years."

So you create an enormous bio-hazard site that requires millions of dollars to clean up. Or you discharge the waste, which has been done dozens of times before, and the ecosystem takes care of it naturally over the course of several months for free. As long as you don't discharge regularly the ecosystem can process the waste.

Then, you take the money you saved on the cleanup to shore up your infrastructure so it doesn't happen again.

That's one alternate scenario, at least.

An all new revival of the Civilian Conservation Corps and/or the WPA can provide jobs for metro area residents to address issues like sinkholes and perhaps do more with preventative maintenance for various infrastructure issues: roads, bridges, power grids, water/sewer lines.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Then, you take the money you saved on the cleanup to shore up your infrastructure so it doesn't happen again.
    That won't ever happen. Why? Because they're allowed to discharge raw sewage into the Clinton River.

That's the problem, as long as they're allowed to discharge "temporarily" into the river, they'll never actually fix the problem.

Takascar, your thinking is so absurdly short-sighted.

That river feeds into Lake Saint Clair. Lake Saint Clair feeds into the Detroit River. The Detroit River and Lake Saint Clair is where your drinking water comes from.

Fraser has built their sewage infrastructure in such a short-sighted way that a single failure can cause them to dump RAW FREAKING SEWAGE into the waterway that dumps into the water ways where nearly FOUR MILLION PEOPLE get their drinking water from.

Our rivers are used by the very PEOPLE you want to put first for enjoyment and recreation. I can't kayak in the Clinton River or take my family to Lake Saint Clair if there is RAW SEWAGE in it.

If Fraser residents don't want sewage in their basements, they need to build infrastructure that has ample capacity and is fault tolerant. Dumping directly into the Clinton River SHOULD NOT ever be an option.

I live in Rochester Hills, where we have spent a lot of money to have both storm water and sewage systems. Just because Fraser residents aren't willing to make that same commitment doesn't mean that they get to dump raw sewage into our water when they have a single sewer fail.
    Whoa, take a deep breath 48307. You have a lot of misconceptions. This has little to do with Fraser. It's not Fraser's sewer. Fraser didn't build it [[DWSD did), and Fraser doesn't have combined sewers either. Your feces in Rochester uses the left arm of this sewer to get to where is going. If this happened to that line, you'd get a basement full of crap and nothing Rochester Hills has done would prevent it. This was an accident, not a design fault. It's a massive pipe that serves the eastern side of Macomb County up to Ray Twp and New Haven. No one is going to stand for having thousands of basements flood with waste so you can kayak next summer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast