Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Former Ontario Premier Mike Harris joins Kevin O’Leary's team for Canada's next PM

Looks like Canada's version of Donald Trump may be running for the next Prime Minister of Canada with former Ontario Premier, Mike Harris.

Donald Trump style twitter account with 600K followers attacking things like the Trudeau foundation getting $535million in foreign donations in 2016 from contributors doing business with the Federal Government: https://twitter.com/kevinolearytv

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/12/22...ns-oleary-team

Former Ontario premier Mike Harris is acting as a “mentor” to Kevin O’Leary as he considers taking a run at the Conservative leadership, the Sun has learned.

On Friday morning, a full exploratory committee will be officially announced along with a website to gauge O’Leary’s support. Harris will be on that committee, along with former Senator Marjory Lebreton, an influential voice in Conservative circles.

The committee will be chaired by Mike Coates, the global vice chairman of Hill+Knowlton Strategies who also helped on Stephen Harper’s leadership bid and subsequent Conservative campaigns.

“Mike has been giving Kevin some advice since this summer and he really tried to explain to Kevin the good and the bad about running,” explained Coates in a phone interview. “I think Kevin is going into this with his eyes open. And Mike has been a very good mentor in that regard.”

The goal of the committee, explains Coates, is to figure out O’Leary’s level of support and perceptions about him among members and then come back with recommendations.

“Most of Kevin’s support is support in the public, what we want to gauge now is the support in the party,” says Coates.

In every major poll that O’Leary’s name has been included in, he’s at or near first. But many of those polls were of Conservative supporters and the general public.

“If O'Leary enters the race, he will focus like a laser beam on the economy with particular emphasis on the misguided policies of Justin Trudeau, Bill Morneau and Gerald Butts and how their actions have negatively impacted millennials,” Lebreton told the Sun in an email. “His entry will raise the level of debate among the Conservative candidates and will not only benefit the Party but also the country.”

The geographically diverse committee team includes Guy Lauzon, a current Conservative MP from eastern Ontario; Ken Hughes, a former Conservative MP who then went on to serve as an Alberta MLA and recent energy minister; Rick Perkins, a former Conservative candidate from Atlantic Canada. Toronto businessmen Todd Halpern and Perry Dellelce will be involved with fundraising.

O’Leary’s expected to make a decision early in the new year, within the next month. The cutoff date to sign up is February 24 and the election itself is on May 27.

“He’s cleared the decks. His wife is very supportive. His businesses and his partners are very supportive,” says Coates.
    Last edited by davewindsor; December-24-16 at 03:51 PM.

Ugh. Spare us.

Kevin O'Leary will never be Prime Minister. Rob Ford will never be mayor of Toronto. Donald Trump will never be President.

The media has not yet realized that its wishes are not our command.

Every day that Wynn is in office O'Leary chuckles just a little. Has her approval rating made it into the single digits yet? Maybe she'll get Hydro One to include a re-election flier with their now-monthly bills -- changed from bi-monthly to prevent four-digit bills.

Quote Originally Posted by wesley mouch View Post
    the media has not yet realized that its wishes are not our command.
    ignore sodomite orders.

Mr. Wonderful as Prime Minister and The Donald as President!!!!!

Good things happen in twos.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    The media has not yet realized that its wishes are not our command.
    On the contrary, the media is a huge cheerleader for crazy candidates like Trump and Ford. We would never even have the Trump nightmare if the media weren't constantly whoring for ratings.

It would be much more accurate to write "intelligent and reasonable people have not yet realized that there are a ton of dummies and racists among us". Until the "normal" people realize that millions of people are irredeemably stupid and/or bigots, the better, and the cancers of folks like Ford and Trump can be eradicated.

Bham: You mean the "media" such as MSNBC, CNN, the NYT, the Washington Post, ABC, NBC and CBS?

Yeah, 1982, send 'em all to the Hitler-type death camps. Eradicate them all you say.

You claim "reasonable and intelligent" people are ignorant for not realizing the menace, as you claim to, posed by the "tons of dummies and racists among us." How can they be "reasonable and intelligent" if they aren't as enlightened as you must think you are, being able to see all those dummies and racists and such?

You apparently don't consider yourself one of the "normal" people because you realize [[in your infinite wisdom?) that "millions of people are irredeemably stupid and/or bigots" while the rest of us abnormal people don't.
    Last edited by 3WC; December-26-16 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3WC View Post
    Bham: You mean the "media" such as MSNBC, CNN, the NYT, the Washington Post, ABC, NBC and CBS?
    Yes, they are all complicit in this disaster.

Yeah, 1982, send 'em all to the Hitler-type death camps. Eradicate them all you say.
    What are you babbling on about? I never claimed the media should be "eradicated". All I said was that the media shares blame for candidates like Ford and Trump by hyping such loonies for ratings.

There's nothing illegal or necessarily even immoral for hyping crazies, but clearly the media plays a major role.

You claim "reasonable and intelligent" people are ignorant for not realizing the menace, as you claim to, posed by the "tons of dummies and racists among us."
    No, actually that's not what I claimed. You made this up.

How can they be "reasonable and intelligent" if they aren't as enlightened as you must think you are, being able to see all those dummies and racists and such?
    I have no idea what this means. Didn't write this, and this statement makes zero logical sense.

You apparently don't consider yourself one of the "normal" people because you realize [[in your infinite wisdom?) that "millions of people are irredeemably stupid and/or bigots" while the rest of us abnormal people don't.
    I'm not sure what this garbled syntax means. Maybe you're trying to say something quasi-populist like "anyone who thinks they're smart or well-read is actually dumber than dumb people". Is that an accurate summation?

1982, you're correct on one [[and only one) point. I did not mean to imply that the media should be sent to the death camps. You claimed in your post that the "tons" of people you don't like should be eradicated. My comment was unartfully drafted.

As to your other attempts at obfuscation in your post above, I ask only that you reread the gibberish contained in the second paragraph of your post to which I responded. I only restated your views in a more coherent manner. Sad you didn't recognize that.

It's amusing that you think everyone but you are idiots or worse. Could it be the opposite is true. A political scientist you're not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    On the contrary, the media is a huge cheerleader for crazy candidates like Trump and Ford. We would never even have the Trump nightmare if the media weren't constantly whoring for ratings.

It would be much more accurate to write "intelligent and reasonable people have not yet realized that there are a ton of dummies and racists among us". Until the "normal" people realize that millions of people are irredeemably stupid and/or bigots, the better, and the cancers of folks like Ford and Trump can be eradicated.
    49% of the voting public apparently are "irredeemably stupid bigots". I toss my lot in with them.

For those of you who don't know Mr. Wonderful, you can ignore him at your own arctic risk. What other Canadian described his original homeland as a 'frozen wasteland' almost every day. He has all of Donald Trump's irreverence without much of the baggage. He doesn't speak in coded political language, and speak plainly. He has opinions that are not loved in Toronto and Vancouver. I think we will see whether there are enough rational people across the country of Canada who also desire someone who's not in the pockets of the political elite. I wouldn't count him out.

Besides, he speaks the 'elk' language, and has gained tremendous insight into the elk desire for new pipelines to invigorate the Canadian economy [[now valued at below $0.74).

Well said Wesley Mouch.

Perhaps our friend Bham was a political advisor to Hillary and advised her to refer to Trump supporters as "deplorables." If so, THANKS BHAM.

Well said Wesley Mouch.

Perhaps our friend Bham was a political advisor to Hillary and advised her to refer to Trump supporters as "deplorables." If so, THANKS BHAM.
    The truth hurts, doesn't it? Apparently racists, dummies and deplorables now have delicate snowflake sensitivities and desperately need their safe spaces.

Trump's campaign manager can call the Obamas diseased monkeys marked for death, and that's totally cool with Trump and his sycophant wackos. Hillary spoke the absolute truth [[many Trump voters have deplorable views, as this thread indicates) and the trailer parks and meth labs seethe in anger.

Glad you're happy the U.S. [[and maybe the planet) is possibly doomed. The rest of us aren't as thrilled, and actually love this is country and its ideals. Some of us even value science, logic and humanity.

The only saving grace is that Trump is going to most harm his base, while educated and prosperous folks will generally avoid the worst of his horrific policies, unless, of course, Trump starts a nuclear war and eradicates everyone. He'll cut my taxes, my water is already privately filtered, I can afford private school, and I have extensive assets and dual citizenship. Trailer Park Bubba is gonna get reamed, though.
    Last edited by Bham1982; December-28-16 at 02:36 PM.

This is going to be the last word, at least from me.

Since we're all "racists, dummies, deplorables and wackos" I'm wondering why you want to keep communicating with us. Think you'll convince us of anything?

You say Hillary spoke the "absolute truth." [[I guess that's better than the simple truth.) Hillary has never told the truth about anything. She lies when she doesn't even have to. That's one of the [[several) reasons she lost; did you not see her trustworthiness ratings?

You seem to claim the country and the planet are "doomed" as a result of Trump. Actually you're correct, for the wrong reason. You'd realize that if you knew anything about geology, plate tectonics how the planet is made and continues to evolve. There have been at least two supercontinents [[where all the surface land was locked together in the southern hemisphere.) Geologists and geophysicists who follow this discipline have confirmed that once again the continents are drifting back and [[will over the next hundred million years) drift [[continental drift) together again to form one land mass. They also predict that Conservatives will still be in charge of what's left. Also, the planet will be "dead" in 5 billion years so you may blame that on Trump too if you wish. Or, Bush.

One thing in which you make take some solace: nom matter how bad Trump is as president he will never be the worst president in the history of the country. That dishonor will be permanently retired on Jan. 20, 2017.

Finally, you claim to have "extensive" assets and dual citizenship. I don't believe that asset business unless you won the sperm lottery and are a trust baby. And as for dual citizenship, what planet?

Since we're all "racists, dummies, deplorables and wackos" I'm wondering why you want to keep communicating with us. Think you'll convince us of anything?
    No, I have no hopes you'll come to your senses. Trump could start a nuclear war and his most hard-core acolytes would never admit they elected a racist sociopath.

But we aren't going to shut up. We're going to fight Trump and his deplorables at every step, and won't stop until we take back this country from those that put us in this disaster.

You say Hillary spoke the "absolute truth." [[I guess that's better than the simple truth.) Hillary has never told the truth about anything. She lies when she doesn't even have to. That's one of the [[several) reasons she lost; did you not see her trustworthiness ratings?
    This entire statement is a lie. Per Polifact and other online, nonpartisan fact-checking websites, Hillary has been one of the more honest Presidential candidates in modern American history. Trump, on the other hand, broke all records for lies. Not only was no Presidential candidate in American history close, no candidate was half as bad, ever. Trump lied so much, about everything, it was impossible to keep up.

You seem to claim the country and the planet are "doomed" as a result of Trump.
    Yes, probably. I hope I'm wrong, but it's a decent bet. The planet is probably screwed. At best we'll have an awful Presidency with economic decline, horrible suffering and loss of American hegemony.

But it isn't my guess, it's the global consensus. There is no living President, no living Secretary of State, no foreign country outside of dictatorships, no mainstream think tank that supported Trump.
    One thing in which you make take some solace: nom matter how bad Trump is as president he will never be the worst president in the history of the country. That dishonor will be permanently retired on Jan. 20, 2017.
    Yes, because he's a black Muslim chimpanzee, right? As Trump's campaign manager stated just a few days ago, he hopes "Obama catches mad cow disease and Michelle let loose in the Outback of Zimbabwe where she lives comfortable in a cave with the gorillas". I'm sure that encapsulates your thoughts re the Obamas exactly.

In the real world, Obama is one of the most popular and successful Presidents in American history, created 15 million jobs [[send best in American history behind B. Clinton), gave us record income gains and record low unemployment, and presided over the best economy in the developed world. Oh, and he caught/killed Bin Laden, cut crime, passed comprehensive health care reform and civil rights legislation and served with a dignity that drew admiration across the globe.

And as for dual citizenship, what planet?
    This is actually a very good point. One would need to leave the planet to escape the Trump catastrophe.

My dual citizenship won't protect me from the horrors of Trump, and will probably be useless, as when the U.S. sinks, the rest of the planet will suffer in tandem.

O'Leary speaks zero French and you can't win in Canada if you don't win any Quebec ridings. That's the reason he's not formally in the race yet. He wanted to avoid the French-speaking leadership debates. Throw in the fact that he won't win in Toronto Central and Vancouver and he has zero chance. It's not like Trump, who could win with Florida, the Midwest, etc. This is about two-thirds of the population.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    O'Leary speaks zero French and you can't win in Canada if you don't win any Quebec ridings. That's the reason he's not formally in the race yet. He wanted to avoid the French-speaking leadership debates. Throw in the fact that he won't win in Toronto Central and Vancouver and he has zero chance. It's not like Trump, who could win with Florida, the Midwest, etc. This is about two-thirds of the population.
    Not to mention that he's as toxic as Trump in the big towns.

I'd agree with you on the 'zero French' problem, except that we all were saying the same thing about Trump -- and somehow he got more black voters. [[Trump 8% of black voters, Romney, 6% of black voters = 33% increase -- and yes I know that these are percentages on percentages, but the point is still valid).

So I'd be careful about making assumptions about French voters simply based on language. Sometimes voters see beyond single-issues. Maybe O'Leary will find a way to convince Quebec voters that he might be better from some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I think you should read his bio before you speak. Kevin O'Leary was born in Montreal, Quebec. He grew up in Montreal and Ottawa. His "O'Leary Management Funds" that lends money to people seeking venture capital on Dragon's Den and Shark Tank is headquartered out of where?? MONTREAL!!

If you are familiar with Mr. Wonderful from his TV shows, he has a strange sense of humour and I believe that when he said he spoke zero French and that a PM shouldn't have to speak French in the leadership debates he was saying it jokingly. He doesn't lack the competence; he's just taking issue with the process in his own "Mr. Wonderful" way.

The guy has a love for the Province he was born in. Being that he was born and spent so much time in Quebec, that alone will win him some seats in Quebec because he knows first hand what's happening in his province. That and saying he's going to significantly slash taxes and regulations like Trump will rally a lot of support. At the end of the day, a lot of voters are equally pissed off at all the taxes they pay in this country and how tax dollars are misused and recklessly spent.

BTW-Stephen Harper, the former Conservative PM, was born in a Toronto suburb and was said to have been the worst French speaking PM in history because he had to relearn it while entering the leadership race [[it's mandatory to learn French in public school, but most people in the rest of Canada forget what they learned because they don't practice it after school).
    Last edited by davewindsor; December-29-16 at 02:13 PM.

The Express is reporting on this Conservative candidate as the "Canadian Trump"

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...action-spreads

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    BTW-Stephen Harper, the former Conservative PM, was born in a Toronto suburb and was said to have been the worst French speaking PM in history because he had to relearn it while entering the leadership race
    Harper was far from the worst French speaker. Kim Campbell wasn't as good. Mackenzie King and Diefenbaker could hardly speak it at all. Diefenbaker was famously embarrassed by being bettered by John F. Kennedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post
    Harper was far from the worst French speaker. Kim Campbell wasn't as good. Mackenzie King and Diefenbaker could hardly speak it at all. Diefenbaker was famously embarrassed by being bettered by John F. Kennedy.
    I wonder about whether Quebec is willing to vote for a non-francophone. But I also wondered how whether Wisconsin would ever vote for a Republican too, once.

There is a difference. The feelings of French Canada are much more of oppression than difference of opinion. But things change. Just ask President-Elect Trump.

You seem to claim the country and the planet are "doomed" as a result of Trump. Actually you're correct, for the wrong reason. You'd realize that if you knew anything about geology, plate tectonics how the planet is made and continues to evolve. There have been at least two supercontinents [[where all the surface land was locked together in the southern hemisphere.) Geologists and geophysicists who follow this discipline have confirmed that once again the continents are drifting back and [[will over the next hundred million years) drift [[continental drift) together again to form one land mass. They also predict that Conservatives will still be in charge of what's left. Also, the planet will be "dead" in 5 billion years so you may blame that on Trump too if you wish. Or, Bush.

Finally, you claim to have "extensive" assets and dual citizenship. I don't believe that asset business unless you won the sperm lottery and are a trust baby. And as for dual citizenship, what planet?
    I'll have what he's having. Seems like a hell of a wild ride.