Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Chag Urim Sameach!

A happy and joyous Chanukah to one and all.

And a Shalom to all who seek peace in a very real way!

where are the Hanukkah parties at? Let us know...

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    where are the Hanukkah parties at? Let us know...
    Actually they're called latke parties. You might also get some noodle kugal if you're lucky.

Happy 2nd candle Chanukah to all.

and lest we forget...

"A summary of every Jewish holiday: They’d tried to kill us, we won, let’s eat!"-Alan King

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    and lest we forget...

"A summary of every Jewish holiday: They’d tried to kill us, we won, let’s eat!"-Alan King
    I spent a couple weeks in Budapest in October. My wife and I visited the Jewish ghetto and the great synagogue. There is a renewal of sorts and there seems to be a homecoming or at least some in migration from Israel and other parts of the Diaspora. So many people died in Hungary to the hands of the Nazis but also valiant Jewish intellectuals perished in the Revolution against Soviet rule. The culture manages to endure with the small remaining community.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Actually they're called latke parties. You might also get some noodle kugal if you're lucky.
    Latke very yummy -- says this Catholic!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    and lest we forget...

Simon Rakoff's version: "They tried to kill all of the Jews, they only managed to kill some of the Jews, so we celebrate."

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I spent a couple weeks in Budapest in October. My wife and I visited the Jewish ghetto and the great synagogue. There is a renewal of sorts and there seems to be a homecoming or at least some in migration from Israel and other parts of the Diaspora.
    I hope it works out for them. There is a great deal of xenophobia in Hungary and antisemitism is particularly bad. I have heard it many times myself from my father-in-law and brother-in-law who live there.

Confession: When I saw the title of this thread, I had no idea it was a Hanukkah greeting. It looked to me more like some Gaelic language than Hebrew.

Here in Colombia we had a national holiday on December 8th. On the night of December 7th people lit candles and celebrated calling it a night of little candles or a festival of lights...to me it seemed very Hanukkah in spirit but it's officially a celebration for the virgin Mary...also for Christmas Colombians add the Star of David to Christmas signs and lights...

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post

I hope it works out for them. There is a great deal of xenophobia in Hungary and antisemitism is particularly bad. I have heard it many times myself from my father-in-law and brother-in-law who live there.
    May the Hungarians never forget the murderous Jew tyrant Bela Kun, nor the 500 year old military invasions by Islam.

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    May the Hungarians never forget the murderous Jew tyrant Bela Kun, nor the 500 year old military invasions by Islam.
    A better description for Bela Kun is 'murderous Communist tyrant'.

And if all Hungarians are like my Hungarian relatives, they'll never forget anything that was done against them.

I think that the anti-Semitism is prevalent in so many countries that it's a bit easy to level it at one in particular. A disease that grew from envy and jealousy from non-Jews who couldn't perform some tasks such as money lending and such. The fact that some Jews had risen in the Arts and Sciences just rankled the bigots even more. Overlooking the fact that the opportunities for most Jews was severely limited. The Nazi regime built a programme around the "Question" that was supposed to end Jewish life and identity. Most Jews happened to be poor whether they lived in cities or shtetls all over Europe. Hungary like every other country had collaborationists under Nazi occupation. When the Russians toppled the Nazi backed government in Budapest, that effectively put a stop to the terror Jewish people had endured, and the half million who perished. Then, another period of infamy happened on the Hungarian people under Soviet domination. Yes, there were plenty guilty Huns, and Austrians, Czechs, French, etc... The infamy was shared by Canadians and Brits and Americans who in some degree had not helped Jewish people in certain situations. Refugee ships turned back to Europe where their passengers faced certain death, etc...
    Last edited by canuck; December-27-16 at 09:14 AM.

It seems to me that, and others have said, Hanukkah has grown in popularity the last 25 years or so. Popularity is probably the wrong word but while Hanukkah was always a noted and important Jewish holiday, it used to be considered more of a minor holiday then it is now.