Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit to get world's first combination IHOP/Applebee's

Oh boy. One question, why.

More via Freep.

There was a time not long ago when we'd be thrilled by this. Now we can proudly say, "yeah, so?"

Oh boy. Maybe a combination Cheesecake Factory and Taco Bell next?

All i know is that the person who puts a Taco Bell near downtown and midtown is going to make a killing one day.

There was definitely an Applebee's void in the CBD. One less hole to fill for those looking for a 2 for $20 night on the town.

I mean I guess it's good that Detroit is getting business that are typically reserved for Hall Road? I think?

In answer to the original question, Applebee's is primarily a dinner destination that does a little lunch business and absolutely no morning business. IHOP is a morning/lunch place with not a great night draw. Seems like a great use of space to me.

I'm happy to say I wouldn't be caught in either of those.

Oh boy! An IHOPlebees !

Decade long vacant space getting built out and hiring people is a contributor to the economy and tax base that didn't exist. So what if it caters to the unadventurous hotel guest. I have met plenty of them in hotel elevators. Thankfully only briefly. This place will get business. Best of luck to them.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Decade long vacant space getting built out and hiring people is a contributor to the economy and tax base that didn't exist. So what if it caters to the unadventurous hotel guest. I have met plenty of them in hotel elevators. Thankfully only briefly. This place will get business. Best of luck to them.
    Hermod's Law [[based on 25 years of business travel): NEVER eat in the hotel/motel restaurant. Always look for someplace nearby. The best review I can give for most hotel restaurants is "ordinary food, indifferently served, at high prices". IHOP, Denney's, Big Boy, Shoney's, etc always got my business.

Not if they are waiting for me to purchase Taco Bell, eh' 'food'!

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    All i know is that the person who puts a Taco Bell near downtown and midtown is going to make a killing one day.

I may do IHOP once in a while... how's the parking?

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    Oh boy! An IHOPlebees !

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post

it sure did back in the 80's when it was on Griswold next to Wendy's always busy
    Tacos' back then were 49 cents
    Last edited by scooter; December-22-16 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Hermod's Law [[based on 25 years of business travel): NEVER eat in the hotel/motel restaurant. Always look for someplace nearby. The best review I can give for most hotel restaurants is "ordinary food, indifferently served, at high prices". IHOP, Denney's, Big Boy, Shoney's, etc always got my business.
    Some of the best restaurants in the world are in hotels. One local example is Roast. At a low end hotel you're probably right though.

Breakfast places are always in demand, even if they're chains. Brunch is a different thing, but trying to get into either kind of dining on a Sat or Sun is a chore. Eastern Mrkt is always jammed up at Zeffs and Louies - Hudson Grill is packed - The IHOP on Jefferson is also busy.
    Maybe opening up another IHOP will free up a couple seats at the local places.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Why not? Something wrong with IHOP for breakfast?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Hermod's Law [[based on 25 years of business travel): NEVER eat in the hotel/motel restaurant.
    Depends on the hotel. The restaurant at the Four Seasons in Chicago is pretty damn good. Expensive, but good. One of the best breakfast places I've been to in New York was a restaurant in a Hyatt. Reasonably priced for the area, too.

I think you have better luck in a downtown area with a lot of hotels / restaurants in walking distance from each other than a Marriott attached to an airport.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I like them both but as a pair it seems kinda strange,IHOP really good breakfast at a reasonable price where Applebee's is good food in small quantities with a higher price.

We have the A&W mixed with Aurther treacher fish and chips,that to me is a good pairing.