Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Amazon to open $90 million warehouse in Livonia, HIRE 1,000 PEOPLE

HUGE news for our region. this is very exciting stuff... also i'm sure it will mean metro detroit gets access to more amazon services in other major cities such as Amazon Now [[delivery of packages within 1 hour of placing the order).

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article..._medium=social

Also our region beat out Ohio and Indiana for the fulfillment center!! So happy we have this now

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...jobs/95625960/

"Amazon considered both Ohio and Indiana for the regional fulfillment center before choosing southeast Michigan, according to state officials. The new site was bought from the trust in charge of disposing old General Motors properties offloaded during the company's bankruptcy process, officials said."

Sounds like a win for the area. Now let the R.T.A. issue resurface so some of the jobs are available to the low income applicants.

Great news! What region does this cover? If this is for 'Amazon Now' fulfillment, I'd expect centers in each city of some size, such as Cleveland -- regardless of proximity. The article didn't cover the big picture of Amazon distribution strategy.

Very good. Jeff Bezos should come here for the grand opening. There needs to be a lot of advertisements for the jobs planned. Often times these jobs are only "stealth" announced, and you already have to be plugged into one of these jobseeker agencies to be able to apply for consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    HUGE news for our region. this is very exciting stuff... also i'm sure it will mean metro detroit gets access to more amazon services in other major cities such as Amazon Now [[delivery of packages within 1 hour of placing the order).

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article..._medium=social

Also our region beat out Ohio and Indiana for the fulfillment center!! So happy we have this now

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...jobs/95625960/

"Amazon considered both Ohio and Indiana for the regional fulfillment center before choosing southeast Michigan, according to state officials. The new site was bought from the trust in charge of disposing old General Motors properties offloaded during the company's bankruptcy process, officials said."
    Sounds like the big + was availability of property cheap from the "Old GM" bankruptcy where they were probably selling off some assets dirt cheap.

My recollection is foggy, is the new tech center at Willow Run the result of property bought from the GM bankruptcy?
    Last edited by emu steve; December-20-16 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    They talked about labor shortages in Metro Detroit. Did Amazon consider other areas, such a W. Va., which have really bad unemployment?

Or does an Amazon site need to be near a major airport?
    Amazon is building these mega distribution centers in every major U.S. population centers, so they can shorten their delivery windows.

Not sure why this is such "huge" news, as these are $10 an hour jobs that just reduce bricks-and-mortar retail employment. It's probably a wash.

Here's a list of Amazon distribution centers. They supposedly plan on having a mega distribution complex in every U.S. population center with 1 million+ residents:

http://www.mwpvl.com/html/amazon_com.html
    Last edited by Bham1982; December-20-16 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Very good. Jeff Bezos should come here for the grand opening. There needs to be a lot of advertisements for the jobs planned. Often times these jobs are only "stealth" announced, and you already have to be plugged into one of these jobseeker agencies to be able to apply for consideration.
    I seriously doubt this is an insiders game. If you really want to work here, Amazon has like 300,000 employees [[and growing by 50,000 a year) and hires an additional 100,000 for the Holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Amazon is building these mega distribution centers in every major U.S. population centers, so they can shorten their delivery windows.

Not sure why this is such "huge" news, as these are $10 an hour jobs that just reduce bricks-and-mortar retail employment. It's probably a wash.

Here's a list of Amazon distribution centers. They supposedly plan on having a mega distribution complex in every U.S. population center with 1 million+ residents:

Agreed.

This is a non-story in the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Agreed.

This is a non-story in the grand scheme of things.
    Well there's a story...
    http://www.seattletimes.com/business...hysical-limit/

Thank you, and the vast majority of the jobs will only be part-time [[as Amazon always does) w/no benefits. More of the "gig economy" where we'll all end up with 2 or 3 jobs that suck. I have 2 of them now, I'm hoping to die at a young age since I can't add to my 401K anymore because I'm making almost half what I was with only 1 job earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    God, I can only imagine how hard they drive people.

These will not permanent jobs. Warehouse work will likely be mostly automated within the next 5-10 years. There will be some engineers/technicians and quality control managers to make sure everything runs smoothly, but not much else.

Drone delivery is coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Drone delivery is coming!
    Get the shotguns ready!

It's one thing when state gov'ts compete with one another to attract high paying tech, auto, etc. types of jobs but pretty sad when they have to provide handouts for the lower end of the totem pole.

There's bound to be a another revolution.
    I can see it now: guys will be duking it out in the streets for the right to drive them robots to work.

It's all very depressing really. Everything is pointing to an awful increase in power by the super rich over people's lives. Science Friction is upon us.

To the 1% the day can not come soon enough when all jobs below theirs can be automated. No more delivery drivers, DRONES! No more warehouse or factory workers, ROBOTS! No more food servers, TABLETS [[be sure to tip). We will see a day in many of our lifetime where the government will need to give allowances to the destitute and jobless as so many have positions will have been replaced.

Edit: That's why I laugh when certain politicians call them "job creators".

Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post
    Get the shotguns ready!

Ha,they applied for a "drone self protection system" patent.

my guess little lasers that zap you before you can pull the trigger proactively.

maybe even a Star Wars force field.

They can talk to each other so if you shoot one they can zero in on you and have your picture or they can all attack at once.

I am thinking that they are going to put cameras on those things and sell real time video to parties that will pay enough,can you imagine 1000 plus drones flying about at the same time you could in theory put an entire city under direct feed 24/7.

It is not like one drone makes a delivery then comes back and repeats.

In the future call 911 and within seconds you have a armed police drone with night vision to your rescue.
    its getting so one cannot lay about necked in the back yard anymore without some pervy thing buzzing about.
    Last edited by Richard; December-22-16 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

my guess little lasers that zap you before you can pull the trigger proactively.

They can talk to each other so if you shoot one they can zero in on you and have your picture or they can all attack at once.

I am thinking that they are going to put cameras on those things and sell real time video to parties that will pay enough,can you imagine 1000 plus drones flying about at the same time you could in theory put an entire city under direct feed 24/7.

In the future call 911 and within seconds you have a armed police drone with night vision to your rescue.
    its getting so one cannot lay about necked in the back yard anymore without some pervy thing buzzing about.
    Drones are microprocessor controlled and can be dealt with....

http://dronelife.com/2015/06/04/5-an...ange-the-game/

No paparazzi catching me in the buff.

No one should be celebrating the creation of these "jobs". Watch this video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_TC4nEBYuI

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    To the 1% the day can not come soon enough when all jobs below theirs can be automated. No more delivery drivers, DRONES! No more warehouse or factory workers, ROBOTS! No more food servers, TABLETS [[be sure to tip). We will see a day in many of our lifetime where the government will need to give allowances to the destitute and jobless as so many have positions will have been replaced.

Edit: That's why I laugh when certain politicians call them "job creators".

Social experiments:
    http://basicincome.org/news/2015/12/...-what-we-know/

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

They will have a Mother drone stocked with all of that area's orders.

Name:  SaladFingers_mothership_small.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  211.8 KB

500 new jobs with benefits that do not require specific skills beyond the ability to work and learn on the job are excellent for the region.

Obviously online retail is a large part of the future and it's nice to not be left out of that business by the biggest player in it right now which was what it felt like every time I passed one of these facilities in other cities.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    500 new jobs with benefits that do not require specific skills beyond the ability to work and learn on the job are excellent for the region.

Obviously online retail is a large part of the future and it's nice to not be left out of that business by the biggest player in it right now which was what it felt like every time I passed one of these facilities in other cities.
    Would you be able to live in this area on the $10-$12 these jobs pay an hour? I also don't believe 500 of the jobs will have benefits, either.

That hourly wage might cut it in a rural deep south town, but it doesn't cut it in Livonia, Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by michmina View Post
    Would you be able to live in this area on the $10-$12 these jobs pay an hour? I also don't believe 500 of the jobs will have benefits, either.

That hourly wage might cut it in a rural deep south town, but it doesn't cut it in Livonia, Michigan.
    8 miles straight down the freeway.

http://auctions.buildingdetroit.org/...etails/3708681

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast