Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default M-5 extended downtown?

Just an hour ago I was heading south on Grand River from Livernois into downtown and noticed at least four M-5 signs. Up until then I thought the M-5 designation ended at the I-96 interchange near Schaefer. Did M-5 silently get extended further down Grand River to Cass [[as it was where I took this photo for proof)?

It's always been the case.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Just an hour ago I was heading south on Grand River from Livernois into downtown and noticed at least four M-5 signs. Up until then I thought the M-5 designation ended at the I-96 interchange near Schaefer. Did M-5 silently get extended further down Grand River to Cass [[as it was where I took this photo for proof)?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    It's always been the case.

Up until some point in the 90s [[I believe), the M-5 designation used to continue even further downtown. East of Cass, it continued on as a one way pair with inbound M-5 continuing on to Woodward [[M-1 at that point in time), and outbound beginning at Woodward and continuing west on Clifford to Middle Street, and then Middle Street back to Grand River.

Basically, west of Woodward both Clifford and Grand River were M-5 [[And US--16 before that). The termination was moved back to Cass at some point in the 1990s I believe, and has remained there to today.

Here is a site that chronicles Michigan highways and what it has for the history of M-5. It looks like the terminus was extended earlier this year.

http://michiganhighways.org/listings/M-005.html