Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 640 Temple to be Rehabbed

Wonderful news for the lower Cass area! I see there was previous plans for it, so I hope this works. But with someone like Gretchen Valade, I'm sure. I've never really heard of her, but seems to be truly part of Detroit "society". Awesome that's she investing some money in rehab and development!

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article..._medium=social

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Wonderful news for the lower Cass area! I see there was previous plans for it, so I hope this works. But with someone like Gretchen Valade, I'm sure. I've never really heard of her, but seems to be truly part of Detroit "society". Awesome that's she investing some money in rehab and development!

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article..._medium=social
    Building has "good bones." Glad it is being re-purposed.

Should be another solid improvement to the Cass Park, Masonic Temple area.

As I've post many times, watch Temple from Woodward to say 3rd Street redevelop in the next several to five years. It is ripe for redevelopment.

The development on the block near Cass/Temple is critical for the area. Could give further development a big impetus.
    Last edited by emu steve; December-16-16 at 12:49 PM.

History on the Standard Accident Insurance Co. Building that will be rehabbed from HistoricDetroit.org.

http://historicdetroit.org/building/...e-co-building/

I chatted with David Sutherland a month of so ago. They are very excited about rehabbing the building. I am hoping to get in the building in the near future. The group also has their eyes on a couple other buildings in the area.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Building has "good bones." Glad it is being re-purposed.

Should be another solid improvement to the Cass Park, Masonic Temple area.

As I've post many times, watch Temple from Woodward to say 3rd Street redevelop in the next several to five years. It is ripe for redevelopment.

The development on the block near Cass/Temple is critical for the area. Could give further development a big impetus.
    I used to work there back in the day, Social Services. Wow! Memories!

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Gretchen has done a lot in the music area. She pretty much single-handedly saved the Jazz Festival when Ford pulled out several years ago, and has been putting money into it ever since. She has also endowed the new jazz education center that's set to open at WSU soon.

She is the heir to the Carhart fortune.

what about the building near grand river & w. grand blvd?

When it comes to ladies [[in the truest sense) who have been very generous patrons to Detroit... the late Rose Skillman [[Skillman Foundation), Gretchen Valade, and Maggie Allesee are hard to beat.

Good comment about foundation support. Carhart is still prospering. And they are an old enough firm that they experimented with the production of cars. That experiment was not the souce of the Carhart fortune.

Sounds like a win all around. The county gets rid of a surplus building, a historic structure gets revitalized, and an area in need of a shot in the arm gets an influx of residents. I wonder how many units will be built, since the article only says that it will be more than 100. The earlier proposal was for 150-200