Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Hazel Park Holiday Inn

Does anyone remember that big old hotel at John R and Nine? I think it was a Holiday Inn back in the 1960s-70s. I remember it looking quite sad in the years leading up to its demolition, but I imagine in its day it was quite the centerpiece for HP. [[and a busy one at that.) Anybody have any stories or pictures from when it was in its prime? [[Or even during its later stages.)

Thanks!

My mom was raised in Hazel Park and remember the Holiday Inn. Did a lot of visiting at my Grandmas house and then hanging out with out with my cousin. We would drive the 3 story parking garage just for something to do. I heard Willie Nelson stayed there. Sad I never spent a night there.

That HI and one at I-75 and Rochester Rd [[or Stephenson ?) were built by the same developer and both were economic disasters - eventually foreclosed and reflagged.)

Quote Originally Posted by 3WC View Post
    That HI and one at I-75 and Rochester Rd [[or Stephenson ?) were built by the same developer and both were economic disasters - eventually foreclosed and reflagged.)
    You could say much the same things about the HI on Telegraph Road near Ten Mile. Somebody has been spending a ton on money on that place for a couple of years now. Not sure what the plans are but they are definitely working on it.

This was just torn down toward the end of the recession for the CVS and Tim Hortons. Anyone have any photos? I remember it well.

Quote Originally Posted by 3WC View Post
    ...with one exception: the one at I-75 in Rochester is still rolling today as a Quality Inn.

I once got in trouble for trying to meet a waitress, from the Sambo's restaurant that used to be on the other side of the freeway, in the lobby of that Holiday Inn. As part a complicated evening that followed finding a key from that hotel in the parking lot at a Genesis concert at Pine Knob, and ended with my best friend handcuffed to a wall at the Hazel Park police department and me waiting for the bank to open to pay our fine and bail money for a charge of "unnecessary driving".

Other than the creepy guys waiting around for someone who wasn't me [[surprise!), I remember the lobby of the hotel as nice enough, in a generic '70s way. It looked typical of that sort of aspiring-to-be-upscale [[but not really making it) high-rise Holiday Inns of that period. If I remember correctly there was also the usual cheesy bar and restaurant.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; December-13-16 at 09:40 AM.

Heck anyone born before 1995 should remember this place, it was only torn down recently. But by my time it was a run down Days Inn, I believe.

If you go to Google Streetview on 9 Mile in front of the now CVS, and go to the 2007 and 2008 views, it's still there.

It was torn down in 2010. There was a 3-page DY thread on this topic at the time.

Most of the links are not working anymore, but a few are [[including a YouTube of the final stages of demolition):

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...-in-Hazel-Park

Default Harmony House records on John R

I used to go the Harmony House records on John R in Hazel Park, right across the street from the hotel back in the 1970’s. The street view picture of Harmony House was taken from the Holiday Inn parking structure. The aerial view was from 1996. The view from the fountain area is from the early 70’s I think.

Name:  harmony4.jpg
Views: 1723
Size:  86.4 KB
    Name:  johnrandi75.jpg
Views: 1520
Size:  129.0 KB
    Name:  holiday inn.jpg
Views: 1834
Size:  60.9 KB
    Name:  holiday inn-2.jpg
Views: 1649
Size:  113.3 KB

Yes, mtburb, I said they were both reflagged. The Hazel Park the failed under the new operator the I-75/Rochester is a Quality Inn [[a misnomer?)

This string is a few years old, but I have one tidbit to add. My Dad, Jim Winter, was the first GM of this hotel when it opened in 1973. Back in those days, managers lived in the hotel, so we had an apt on the 9th floor.

A stream of celebrities came through. I met Denny McLain once, which was a thrill for me as a 10 year old.

A lot of action there due to the race track nearby.

The highway curve visible from our apt had a reverse camber, so we could somewhat reliably see mishaps in bad weather.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I once got in trouble for trying to meet a waitress, from the Sambo's restaurant that used to be on the other side of the freeway, in the lobby of that Holiday Inn. As part a complicated evening that followed finding a key from that hotel in the parking lot at a Genesis concert at Pine Knob, and ended with my best friend handcuffed to a wall at the Hazel Park police department and me waiting for the bank to open to pay our fine and bail money for a charge of "unnecessary driving".

Other than the creepy guys waiting around for someone who wasn't me [[surprise!), I remember the lobby of the hotel as nice enough, in a generic '70s way. It looked typical of that sort of aspiring-to-be-upscale [[but not really making it) high-rise Holiday Inns of that period. If I remember correctly there was also the usual cheesy bar and restaurant.
    Threadjack: Ah yes, even in the 80's Sambo's finally realized how politically incorrect [[okay outright racist) their name was. They changed their name to No Place Like Sam's and got rid of the mascot. A few yrs. later they declared bankruptcy but I heard just a couple of months ago the original Sambo's in Santa Barbara, Cal. stayed open with the original name and is just now changing it.

I think Willie Nelson used to stay there when he played the State Fair
    Quote Originally Posted by Busywizzle View Post
    This string is a few years old, but I have one tidbit to add. My Dad, Jim Winter, was the first GM of this hotel when it opened in 1973. Back in those days, managers lived in the hotel, so we had an apt on the 9th floor.

A stream of celebrities came through. I met Denny McLain once, which was a thrill for me as a 10 year old.

A lot of action there due to the race track nearby.

The highway curve visible from our apt had a reverse camber, so we could somewhat reliably see mishaps in bad weather.