Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Youtube and Detroit

Over on the youtube site, there are a couple of Detroit area folks who post their video trips in and about the Detroit area. As a 30 + year transplant to Las Vegas, I can't begin to tell you how I enjoy these youtube clips. Brings back memories whether in the city or in the 'burbs. For those of you like me who have not been back in Motown for a while, do search out these Youtube clips. You'll enjoy most of them!

PS: To "chosenwon" and the others who upload to youtube: PLEASE: focus a bit more on street signs so we can orient ourselves from the git-go! Thx!

"You can take the Detroiter out of Detroit, but you'll never take the Detroit out of a Detroiter".

Calltoaction Guest

So why not come back?

This thread needs more links.

Chosen Won

Quote Originally Posted by Calltoaction View Post
    So why not come back?
    I don't do snow.

Music is "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" by Bach:

Check These Buildings Out In Detroit

Default Amen on both comments Ray36. Ex Detroiter in California for forty years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Over on the youtube site, there are a couple of Detroit area folks who post their video trips in and about the Detroit area. As a 30 + year transplant to Las Vegas, I can't begin to tell you how I enjoy these youtube clips. Brings back memories whether in the city or in the 'burbs. For those of you like me who have not been back in Motown for a while, do search out these Youtube clips. You'll enjoy most of them!

PS: To "chosenwon" and the others who upload to youtube: PLEASE: focus a bit more on street signs so we can orient ourselves from the git-go! Thx!

"You can take the Detroiter out of Detroit, but you'll never take the Detroit out of a Detroiter".

I don't do snow.
    You can visit lol

We usually go back for a week or two every summer or fall, but haven't been back for three years now due to some problems that pop up at the wrong time. Hopefully, 2017.

I hear that, Ray. I'm spoiled after 30+ years in the South. It was 36 degrees here last night and it felt downright bone-chilling. Most of my relatives no longer live in Michigan, though a few live in places whose names [[and area codes) are completely unfamiliar to me.

I hear you, Kathy. I always start to dial 313 when calling detroit, but it seems like most of the stragglers back there all now have 248 area codes. I followed that storm that hit Michigan this weekend and just kind of sat here and chuckled. [[MDOT has a great web site with a couple hundred cameras on main roads that you can click on for a live picture. URL is
    http://mdotnetpublic.state.mi.us/drive/Default.aspx

Calltoaction Guest

The South and California are for pussies, let's just be honest.

Plus the south is filled with no urban cities, just nothing but suburbia and all young people hate that.

The South and California are for pussies, let's just be honest.

Plus the south is filled with no urban cities, just nothing but suburbia and all young people hate that.
    Mr Actionman
    With a blanket statement like that it sounds like you have never visited either place. Along with being a former Eastsider and lifelong Detroiter at heart I have lived in both Cali [[SF Bay area and San Diego) and the south [[Memphis), your statement couldn't be more inaccurate...I also visit family in Detroit twice a year so I'm up on all good things going on in the D.
    Be Cool

I hear you, Kathy. I always start to dial 313 when calling detroit, but it seems like most of the stragglers back there all now have 248 area codes. I followed that storm that hit Michigan this weekend and just kind of sat here and chuckled. [[MDOT has a great web site with a couple hundred cameras on main roads that you can click on for a live picture. URL is
    http://mdotnetpublic.state.mi.us/drive/Default.aspx
    I always love seeing the 'It's so funny that you got a lot of snow and it is warm here' posts while reading articles of about a couple people that died while shoveling.

People are just so wonderful. I never see people in Michigan laughing at those on the southern coasts when they get hit with tropical storms or at the southwest when people die due to heat or other natural causes.

But hey, laugh your ass off but remember that people often die when the large storms come so enjoy laughing about that.

Ouch, Jt1! Wrong side of the bed this morning? But your observations are quite true.

That's well worth bookmarking.

Thanks for the link!

Ouch, Jt1! Wrong side of the bed this morning? But your observations are quite true.
    Just an observation. Nobody would ever think to laugh during hurricanes and point out how we don't have weather like that in Michigan but it is socially acceptable to laugh about blizzards when people die in those every year.

Seems 'nice' weather turns people into jerks about it. It's especially common with people in Florida and Cali but they are the first to look for sympathy [[and federal money) when there is a weather event there.

Just a pet peeve - bad weather is bad weather and people die in it so I don't really get the warm weather people laughing about it.

Calltoaction Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    Mr Actionman
    With a blanket statement like that it sounds like you have never visited either place. Along with being a former Eastsider and lifelong Detroiter at heart I have lived in both Cali [[SF Bay area and San Diego) and the south [[Memphis), your statement couldn't be more inaccurate...I also visit family in Detroit twice a year so I'm up on all good things going on in the D.
    Be Cool
    It's not inaccurate at all, sunbelt cities are notorious for being nothing but highways and suburban sprawl.

San Francisco is not a sunbelt city.

It's not inaccurate at all, sunbelt cities are notorious for being nothing but highways and suburban sprawl.

San Francisco is not a sunbelt city.
    Whoops I stand corrected I just checked Google Maps and your right SF is not part of the sunbelt and the south no longer has urban areas...Funny how a thread applauding videos of Detroit scape turned into people unsympathetic to casualties of weather and the demise of the urban environment but I was happy to play along. Oh well Ray'36 you tried.
    Last edited by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83; December-13-16 at 02:14 PM.

Calltoaction Guest

I think people are just annoyed, this is the first snow we've had and already the transplants who turned their backs on Michigan are acting all smug and annoying as if snow is such an awful thing. Detroit has had really mild weather until a week ago and it's December so what did you expect? But I guess I derailed the topic, sorry.

Its all tongue and cheek Bro...hows the old saying go in Michigan "if you don't like the weather stick around til next week and it'll change, I remember one year it was 62 degrees in the first week in January and then then snow the next week...crazy