Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mr. Gilbert, How about a Christmas Present for Detroit?

How about a final decision and rendering of the Hudson's block. We have been waiting for years.

I think he's more interested in receiving a pre$ent than in giving one.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...ment/94733034/

All I want for Christmas is a Hudson's rendering
    A Hudson's rendering
    A Hudson's rendering
    Gee, if I could only have a Hudson's rending
    Then I could wish a Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I think he's more interested in receiving a pre$ent than in giving one.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...ment/94733034/
    I believe you are correct. Something in the 50 Million neighborhood is what he has in mind before the joyous celebration of groundbreaking.

“So it’s TIF generated stuff on real estate taxes, potentially sales taxes, and maybe part of the state income – so that’s the kind of things that’s an immediate, net tangible benefit to the state,” he told the UM audience.

I find it kind of funny how they are called "real estate taxes" when they are to be received but are always "property tax" when they need to be paid or assessed.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...rock/94628514/

Calltoaction Guest

The Monroe Block concept got me like...

Y'all got any more of them renderings?
    Name:  Yall-Got-Any-More-Of.jpg
Views: 1483
Size:  10.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Calltoaction View Post
    The Monroe Block concept got me like...

Y'all got any more of them renderings?
    Name:  Yall-Got-Any-More-Of.jpg
Views: 1483
Size:  10.2 KB
    Ha, pretty much.

LOL that's exactly how I feel. Development nerds...

I was under the impression that the original 200 plus million was the incentive to develop the Hudson block,or was it given to reserve to right to apply for future additional incentives.

Not debating whether he is good or bad for the city but it seems he took the incentives,and spent them buying up properties that were not in the original deal and now comes back for more?

Calltoaction Guest

He can have all the tax incentives he wants, lets get this shit built.

Well that's a bit reckless haha

Perhaps we should all contribute to a Go Fund Me account for him?

Calltoaction Guest

Perhaps we should all contribute to a Go Fund Me account for him?
    Good idea! We should also start a GoFundMe for the West Coast when the inevitable earthquakes and droughts destroy everything over there!

Good idea! We should also start a GoFundMe for the West Coast when the inevitable earthquakes and droughts destroy everything over there!
    You equate aiding victims of natural disasters with funneling tax dollars to billionaires to build their pet projects? That's quite a new spin on trickle up economics
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; December-07-16 at 01:29 AM.

Calltoaction Guest

You equate aiding victims of natural disasters with funneling tax dollars to billionaires to build their pet projects? That's quite a new spin on trickle up economics
    lol that's a funny way of interpreting what I said.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...ives/95091810/

Looks like we'll get the scaled down options for Hudson's and Monroe Block

Calltoaction Guest

LOL it's not over yet.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20161207/NEWS/161209878/gilbert-backed-brownfield-bills-die-in-lame-duck-session

Horn, chairman of the Senate's economic development committee, said he plans to work until the final day of lame-duck session to convince the full House to vote on the bills.
    If it doesn't, he said, he plans to revisit them early in the new year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock N Rye View Post
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...ives/95091810/

Looks like we'll get the scaled down options for Hudson's and Monroe Block

What more did you expect from the Michigan State House? Whether you agree with their politics or not, that particular half of the legislature has been notorious for not being able to accomplish anything, even come crunch time.

Despite one party having complete control, even they can't get their members to come together on anything. It is the same no-compromise attitude of the reps that prevents them from working together to accomplish anything positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    What more did you expect from the Michigan State House? Whether you agree with their politics or not, that particular half of the legislature has been notorious for not being able to accomplish anything, even come crunch time.

Despite one party having complete control, even they can't get their members to come together on anything. It is the same no-compromise attitude of the reps that prevents them from working together to accomplish anything positive.
    Its hard for things to get accomplished when the dominant wing of the party in charge does not actually believe in the concept of governance

OK...Time to bombard the house with calls and letters telling them to pass the bills

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    OK...Time to bombard the house with calls and letters telling them to pass the bills
    Which bill?

The one where they were going to strip health benefits from firemen and police officers after years of service and promises in contracts

Or

The bill that wanted to give 250 million dollars a year to billionaire developers for 5 years to well, do what they were doing and develop?

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Which bill?

The one where they were going to strip health benefits from firemen and police officers after years of service and promises in contracts

Or

The bill that wanted to give 250 million dollars a year to billionaire developers for 5 years to well, do what they were doing and develop?
    The best two questions of the day.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...ayed/95125404/

Looks like we will likely have to wait even longer to hear the plans. Gilbert must be holding out hope that the bill passes early next year.

What I don't get is this is the same legislature that bends over backwards for Matty Maroun, but they just blow off Dan Gilbert. If you're going to do political favors seems like you help the one who wasn't an asshole slumlord.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    What I don't get is this is the same legislature that bends over backwards for Matty Maroun, but they just blow off Dan Gilbert. If you're going to do political favors seems like you help the one who wasn't an asshole slumlord.
    Take a look at the political donations that Matty has given over the years and it becomes pretty clear why he has a lot of support. If DG wants bills passed, he will need to grease the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Take a look at the political donations that Matty has given over the years and it becomes pretty clear why he has a lot of support. If DG wants bills passed, he will need to grease the wheels.
    Which is why this country sucks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast