Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dmberko11 View Post
    Yeah I basically agree here but most who read these threads on this forum have a more liberal take on everything and they think we should just get taken over and pay for someone else’s lunch. Maybe they wouldn’t mind opening their homes up and taking in some refugees since they have such big hearts LOL
    Most who read these threads are intelligent enough to recognize sarcasm when they read it.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Nice try but I'm not even American nor do I live there. I just miss the days when this forum, like your country, was civil.
    Okay okay, putting our differences aside. What’s your interest in Detroit? If you say you’re not American or from here. Please don’t interpret that as an affront because there’s no malfeasance behind it. I’m just curious. And I somewhat agree with your statement about lack of civility. We can quickly get bellicose in our discussions instead of trading reasonable points and agreeing to disagree. I’m very guilty of that. At least I’m willing to own it. Very big of me, I know

nice try but i'm not even american nor do i live there. I just miss the days when this forum, like your country, was civil.
    *drops mic* damnnnnn

Hardly a “mic drop” moment. I am amused though that a non-American who says he’s not even from here or doesn’t live here wanted to attack a natural-born citizen’s arguments on what’s going on in a country he only reads about on the internet. Classic, just classic. That’d be like me saying you know what’s wrong with the European Union? No, please don’t tell me, because [[A) you’ve never lived there, [[B) weren’t born there, [[C) and unless you currently live there and have local knowledge of the happenings? your opinion is worthless.
    Last edited by Dmberko11; August-05-19 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmberko11 View Post
    Gistok, I apologize for my snide remark about reading comprehension and lack of education. That was low and unnecessary. Hope we can have more amicable discussion down the road.
    We all have our bad days. Unfortunately if we let politics creep into our discussions, it's a no win for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    We all have our bad days. Unfortunately if we let politics creep into our discussions, it's a no win for everyone.
    Appreciate your understanding. Indeed it wasn’t my finest hour. A little too much hubris perhaps and politics. We’re better off without that on an architecture forum for goodness sakes. I’d hit the undo button on the initial post that sparked all of it in a heartbeat. Oy ve.

I see some activity on the site

It won't amount to much though....

https://www.freep.com/story/money/business/john-gallagher/2019/08/07/hudsons-detroit-tallest-building/1943037001/

• The office, retail, and residential mixed-use project on the Monroe Block is undergoing design revisions. Actual construction, which was to have been underway by now, is scheduled to start in early 2020.

I think they are moving the barriers back a little so you can walk on the sidewalk around the site. It was kind of annoying.

There was activity at this site today. When I drove by some of the barriers were gone. Maybe they are moving the barriers again?

It looked like they were putting up new barriers.

They're moving the barriers so they're no longer blocking the sidewalk. I'm not quite sure why they ever blocked the sidewalk to begin with, considering the goals of Gilbert to have a vibrant, functioning downtown.

Before moving barriers [[3-15-2019):
    Attachment 37762

After moving barriers[[9-10-2019):
    Name:  IMG_20190910_143226350.jpg
Views: 1561
Size:  132.5 KB

What is going on with the landscaping on Monroe St.?

I would think the city would take better care of it than that [[all of the brown patches).

^ I completely agree, it's a needlessly jarring sight. All they have to do is plant trees or something but it's just left barren and it's been like that for years, so ugly. Maybe they're planning to get rid of the medium soon?

Name:  IMG_0927.jpg
Views: 5316
Size:  141.8 KB
    We've got activity. Looks like they are breaking up the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChrome View Post
    Name:  IMG_0927.jpg
Views: 5316
Size:  141.8 KB
    We've got activity. Looks like they are breaking up the parking lot.
    Any sign of a big crane? Is the steel rising?

Any sign of a big crane? Is the steel rising?
    I don't see any. So now I'm going to insert a snarky comment about how they are just moving dirt to deceive the public and this project is really being scrapped.

They dug five holes and have since filled all five back up with dirt and debris. I'm not sure why.

Soil testing?

I wonder if something important happened to cause some activity? Is this something they would have done if this project as completely paused or not? [[Assuming they are soil testing)

Frankly, I wish they would scrap the project [[ likely will happen anyway ), and concentrate their time and resources and build a great project on the Hudsons site, as planned..

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    They're moving the barriers so they're no longer blocking the sidewalk. I'm not quite sure why they ever blocked the sidewalk to begin with, considering the goals of Gilbert to have a vibrant, functioning downtown.
    I'm not sure why the block the sidewalks, but I've seen that be done in the first stage of many construction projects in NYC

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Soil testing?
    I believe so. Soil test are needed before permits. After permits, then demo of the parking lot and caisson work to follow.

My best guess is that this project is about 18 months behind the Hudson site, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same contractors.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I'm not sure why the block the sidewalks, but I've seen that be done in the first stage of many construction projects in NYC
    I should have been more specific. I'm not sure why they would block the sidewalk and then not do anything for over a year. Blocking the sidewalk is a necessary negative during construction, but does not need to be done 1+ year in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke09 View Post
    I believe so. Soil test are needed before permits. After permits, then demo of the parking lot and caisson work to follow.

My best guess is that this project is about 18 months behind the Hudson site, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same contractors.
    Yup.... we don't want to be like San Francisco and have our own "leaning tower"....

https://www.businessinsider.com/is-m...sinking-2017-9

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 ... LastLast