Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    Stunningly gorgeous. No other city in America is achieving this kind of high-level design.
    I cant tell if you are serious or not. While this is great progress for Detroit, this would be "just another development" in many other cities. That doesnt mean it shouldn't be celebrated here though. Nobody could have imagined something like this just 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    Stunningly gorgeous. No other city in America is achieving this kind of high-level design.
    Wow, you really don't keep up with what's happening in other American cities, do you?

I like the look of the tower[[s). The "place-making" to me is a bit redundant. You have Cadillac Square Park and Campus Martius Park right there for "place-making," why add more behind the buildings? And, the set back of the buildings along Cadillac Square just adds more sidewalk that's not needed. Also, it appears that Farmer Street is going to be closed off. Not a major issue, I'm just surprised no one mentioned it.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Also, it appears that Farmer Street is going to be closed off. Not a major issue, I'm just surprised no one mentioned it.
    I'm not 100% solid on this, but I believe I heard that the theater facade\arch is being moved to Farmer to be a pedestrian entryway.

I like the look of the tower[[s). The "place-making" to me is a bit redundant. You have Cadillac Square Park and Campus Martius Park right there for "place-making," why add more behind the buildings? And, the set back of the buildings along Cadillac Square just adds more sidewalk that's not needed. Also, it appears that Farmer Street is going to be closed off. Not a major issue, I'm just surprised no one mentioned it.
    That area is one of the few where people congregate daily and it is typically swamped. Adding 1000+ residents and several thousand more workers to that specific area is only going to make it more congested. I think adding another plaza, which looks to be mainly a retail promenade, isn't a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I'm not 100% solid on this, but I believe I heard that the theater facade\arch is being moved to Farmer to be a pedestrian entryway.
    Yeah that's what the fly-through video shows.

Adding in all that residential and office space [[plus the Hudson's Building too), you'd have to stand in line to breathe at Campus Martius without additional plazas and parks to help spread the usage around.
    Last edited by DetroitGuy423; December-14-18 at 11:34 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    I cant tell if you are serious or not. While this is great progress for Detroit, this would be "just another development" in many other cities. That doesnt mean it shouldn't be celebrated here though. Nobody could have imagined something like this just 10 years ago.
    This is Schmidt Hammer Lassen's first project in the US so there is quite literally nothing else like it in the country. I see very few if any projects that pay as much attention to the pedestrian experience as well as an attractive overall form such as this.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    i follow the architecture firm on Instagram and it appears that the height has decreased from 536’ to 518’. It also looks like they have scaled back some of the more interesting details from the first renderings. It will still be an incredible development if it stays true to these renderings.
    Yes, I've noticed the scaling back of details, like the atrium between the structures that was very interesting but now nowhere to be seen. But who knows, the design changed with Hudson block several times, so there may be more changes ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Yes, I've noticed the scaling back of details, like the atrium between the structures that was very interesting but now nowhere to be seen. But who knows, the design changed with Hudson block several times, so there may be more changes ahead.
    I was intrigued by the atrium and thought it was architecturally interesting, but in this case I am sort of glad it was removed. I am not sure how much light that area will receive day to day, so opening it up is probably a good idea.

The one remaining buiding on the Monroe Block just sold! Caddillac Tower, the victim of a half-arsed, stalled renovation was purchased by the guy who also recently purchased Anchor Bar, the Ford Building, and others.

Assuming he will be looking to get more that 18% occupancy out of this building, we will undoubtedly see construction going on here at the same time Gilberts crews are working on the rest.

Always thought this building seemed kind of dead, especially after they kicked out all the retail tenants, but had no ideas it was THAT empty! I would love to see a good chunk of this building turned into condos. Downtown is certainly lacking for-purchase housing.

Noticed there is a protected bike lane on Monroe in the fly-through video:

Name:  Bike Lanes.jpg
Views: 2161
Size:  62.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Noticed there is a protected bike lane on Monroe in the fly-through video:
    I wouldn't read into that too much, but it would be REALLY neat if it came to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Thanks for posting, this is incredible. The intricate designs incorporated are incredible. I wish there was more about Phase 2, and has me pondering why it wasn't as prominent as Phase 1.

Still sad about the demolition of the theatre. In time I'm sure I'll enjoy the arch incorporated into the design, but for now it really is quite sad.

Phase 1 has priority as of this moment and Gilbert has said this project, along with Hudson's and Fail Jail, are going to be immune from any recession and proceed as is. I am guessing Phase 2 might be slightly more dependent on the economy when we get to that point and he could either scale it up or down as he sees fit.

I am ok if that is his line of thinking. I like the 5-10 story brick structures in Phase 2 but I am falling somewhat out of love with the tower in that development. I appreciate some brutalist architecture, but the crown of the building does very little for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    Thanks for posting, this is incredible. The intricate designs incorporated are incredible. I wish there was more about Phase 2, and has me pondering why it wasn't as prominent as Phase 1.

Still sad about the demolition of the theatre. In time I'm sure I'll enjoy the arch incorporated into the design, but for now it really is quite sad.
    This could be Detroit’s Rockefeller plaza, I just wish they could save the inner ring of the arch

I just view the Phase 2 as Gilbert’s way of waiting to see what the future downtown market demands. Granted it may only be a year from now when that decision has to be made, but December 2019’s worth of knowledge is still better than today’s knowledge.

To me, the main limiting factor is the underground parking garage. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have to believe they will be including a giant underground garage that will encompass both Monroe Blocks. And for cost and logistical purposes, it makes sense to build that garage for both blocks at the same time. It may take them all of 2019 to excavate the hole to build that underground garage, but once they start building it, they have to at least know the heights of the building going on top of it.

So they probably have until this time next year to decide what to do with Monroe Block Phase 2... because that is likely when the underground garage will start construction in the soon to be excavated big hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    This could be Detroit’s Rockefeller plaza, I just wish they could save the inner ring of the arch
    I sent an Email to their link and asked them about the inner ring of the arch since the blue-green accent is Pewabic glazed tile, and the white is Pewabic terra cotta.

If they are dismantling the facade, I can't see them simply throwing away the inner ring detailing, including the fancy medallion at the top. I could see them saving that for another installation elsewhere if indeed the outer and inner ring become separate... but the question does need to be asked of them about salvaging that inner ring.
    Last edited by Gistok; December-19-18 at 01:04 PM.

My hope is they might reuse them on the back side of the new arch as that side was never intended to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I sent an Email to their link and asked them about the inner ring of the arch since th blue-green accent is Pewabic glazed tile, and the white is Pewabic terra cotta.

If they are dismantling the facade, I can't see them simply throwing away the inner ring detailing, including the fancy medallion at the top. I could see them saving that for another installation elsewhere if indeed the outer and inner ring become separate... but the question does need to be asked of them about salvaging that inner ring.

Thanks for posting this could you please keep us posted on their response and what the outcome is.
    I’m sure there are a few of us who would like to know the outcome and see it put to use somewhere special in the city
    thank you again

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    Thanks for posting this could you please keep us posted on their response and what the outcome is.
    I’m sure there are a few of us who would like to know the outcome and see it put to use somewhere special in the city
    thank you again
    Thanks, I'll find out what I can, and share it here.

For those who don't know what we're talking about.... the inner arch surrounds the window, the outer arch is flush with the towers....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The point of separation [[red line) between the outer [[reused for Monroe Development) arch, and the [[unknown future) inner arch....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yes great idea, ask and see what their plans are and hopefully it can be saved and used for future use or we can change their minds about not using the inner arch.

If you hear anything back would you please let me know and keep us posted?
    Thanks
    Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I sent an Email to their link and asked them about the inner ring of the arch since the blue-green accent is Pewabic glazed tile, and the white is Pewabic terra cotta.

This would be a great reuse for that part of the arch.
    My hope is they will reuse it in a way it can still be seen by the public.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    My hope is they might reuse them on the back side of the new arch as that side was never intended to be seen.

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast